BCC estimates the global market for metamaterials was worth $222.3 million in 2010 and $256.1 million in 2011. BCC expects the market to grow to $758.7 million by 2016, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 24.3% since 2011, and to reach nearly $1.9 billion by 2021, a CAGR of 19.6% between 2016 and 2021.
Download Report Overview
GLOBAL MARKET FOR METAMATERIALS APPLICATIONS BY MATERIAL TYPE, 2011-2021
Source: BCC Research
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This report addresses the emerging global market for metamaterials, including the following classes. The common thread uniting this diverse group of materials is that they are all artificial materials with characteristics usually not found in nature, and they owe these characteristics to their structure rather than to their constituent element or elements.
- Artificial dielectrics
- Negative refraction media
- Active terahertz (THz) materials (i.e., metamaterials that respond magnetically to far-infrared or THz electromagnetic radiation)
- Chiral materials
- Photonic crystals
- Superconducting metamaterials
- Extreme-parameter metamaterials (i.e., metamaterials whose internal structure has been modified or engineered on a molecular or nanoscale level to impart extraordinary strength, flexibility, or other characteristics)
- Acoustic metamaterials
The study format includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary
- General properties of metamaterials
- Historical milestones in the development of metamaterials
- Emerging and developmental metamaterials technologies and applications that demonstrate the greatest commercial potential through 2021
- Detailed market estimates and projections for each application and material during the period from 2011 to 2016
- General assessment of expected market trends in the longer term (i.e., 2016–2021)
- Patent analysis
Andrew McWilliams is a partner at 43rd Parallel, LLC, a Boston-based international technology and marketing consulting firm. He is the author of a number of other BCC Research market opportunity reports on advanced materials technologies, including the previous edition of this report. Other reports by Mr. McWilliams include IFT066A Printed Electronics: The Global Market; NAN017F Nanostructured Materials: Electronic/Magnetic/Optoelectronic; AVM050B Smart and Interactive Textiles; AVM015E High Performance Ceramic Coatings: Markets and Technologies; AVM064A Geosynthetics: Materials, Applications and Markets; AVM025G Diamond, Diamond-like and CBN Films and Coating Products; NAN015F Advanced Ceramics and Nanoceramic Powders; NAN036A Nanotechnology for Photonics; AVM075A Graphene: Technologies, Applications, and Markets; AVM066B: Superconductors: Technologies and Global Markets; and AVM038D Advanced Structural Carbon Products: Fibers, Foams, and Composites.
Download Report Overview