The global market for commercial biotechnology separation systems reached nearly $16 billion in 2012 and is expected to reach $17.1 billion by the end of 2013. The market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.1%, reaching a value of $27.8 billion by 2018.
This report provides:
- An overview of the global market for the commercial applications of biotechnology separation systems by product, by company, and by geographic region.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2008 to 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
- Examination of the various segments of the market, new applications for separation technology, and overall industry trends, as well as the separation process for a variety of biomolecules, including proteins, RNA, and DNA.
- Identification of one of the major drivers for the separations system market: the development by the biomedical and pharmaceutical industries of proteins that can be used as biotherapeutic agents against a number of human diseases; another factor that will contribute to growth is the recognition of this technology in emerging markets such as Japan and the Pacific Rim countries.
- Assessments of trends based on a number of parameters, including projected sales for existing products, new product introductions, and expanded indications for existing products.
GLOBAL MARKET FOR COMMERCIAL BIOTECH SEPARATION SYSTEMS BY METHOD OF SEPARATION, 2008-2018
Source: BCC Research
Download Report Overview
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This market research report provides a comprehensive sizing, analysis and forecast of the global market for the commercial applications of biotechnology separation systems.
The report will review global markets for biotechnology separation systems and will forecast trends and sales in these markets through 2018. This report provides a range of information, including detailed analyses of the various segments of the market, new applications for separation technology and overall industry trends. It examines the separation process for a variety of biomolecules, including proteins, RNA and DNA. This information will allow the reader to evaluate and quantify the current market size for specific separation systems within the growing biomedical and pharmaceutical technology market.
Forecasts and trends have been developed from a variety of data, including industry sources, company publications and industry benchmarks. Major separation applications, technologies, geography, and factors influencing the demand for endoscopy services and products will be discussed. Consideration is given to an analysis of government issues versus the biotech and pharmaceutical industry markets.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
The biomolecule separation market is positioned for significant growth in the next five years. This is due to new protein and other biomolecule products that will require separation technology, as well as new innovations in the technology itself. This report investigates one of the major drivers for the separations system market: the development by the biomedical and pharmaceutical industry of proteins that can be used as biotherapeutic agents against a number of human diseases. Another factor that will contribute to growth is the recognition of this technology in emerging markets such as Japan and the Pacific Rim countries. Continued global growth is expected due to a growing middle class in countries such as India, China, Brazil and Russia.
This report addresses critically important topics for analyzing a changing market dynamic, identifies the emerging players, discusses the technologies and strategies for accessing these emerging markets, and notes the measurement and forecast of specific segments and geographies to allow for enhanced resources allocation.
SCOPE OF REPORT
Current and projected protein and biomolecule separation revenue forecasts during the forecast period (i.e., 2013 to 2018) are discussed. Protein separation systems are playing important roles in new biopharmaceutical development. Protein separation systems do not require U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval, but the products produced from these processes do, and they must be produced in accordance with FDA good manufacturing practices (GMP) guidelines. Thus, these separation procedures and equipment must pass FDA audits of the manufacturing process. New products requiring separation technologies that have been approved by the FDA in 2011 and 2012 are covered, and those products expected to be approved within the forecast period are discussed. Due to the timing of the writing of this report, the figures for 2013 are estimated except where actual results have been reported.
The report includes analysis of the leading competitors, as well as emerging companies in the current global biomolecule separation market. Profiles of the manufacturers of the leading products are analyzed, and their specific product strategies are outlined. This report notes companies that are poised to introduce new products during the forecast period and discusses how these products may change the face of the competitive environment. This competitive environment is examined with a special focus on the ways in which developing products and technologies are influencing the current standard of patient care. Detailed profiles of the current market leaders and emerging companies are discussed in detail.
Market figures are based on revenues at the manufacturers’ level. The base year for analysis and projection is 2013. Trends are assessed based on a number of parameters, including projected sales for existing products, new product introductions and expanded indications for existing products.
This report also includes overviews and forecasts of the separations market by product, by company and by geographic region through 2018. The global market is analyzed, and data are provided for each segment.
When considering flow cytometry values, the numbers cited and projected do not include clinical applications, as clinical applications have been defined as falling outside the biotechnology scope of this report.
Sales figures are reported in U.S. dollars and reflect currency fluctuations within the performance of revenue change. Revenue figures do not account for variation in local currencies.
All market share data are presented on a global basis unless specifically noted.
This report is an invaluable tool for business planners, acquisitions specialists, licensing strategists, product managers, market research analysts, investors, investor consultants and anyone interested in the biomolecule separation market, its products, its industry participants and its future.
It is important to identify overall market trends, product opportunities, emerging geographies, merger and acquisition opportunities, and insights that provide guidance for sales growth and business decisions for a variety of reasons, including:
- Established companies in the industry, including departments that specialize in corporate strategy, sales and marketing, business development, and research and development (R&D), will benefit from the contents of this report.
- Emerging biotechnology players must understand specific opportunities for out-licensing that originate from the differentiation of their products or technologies, as compared with leading, competitive and emerging technologies. In addition, market forecasts found in this study are supported in detail.
- Investment firms evaluating candidates for venture capital or investment in hedged funds will gain insight into the opportunities and risks that are encountered in the industry with product and company-specific analyses.
- Equity analyses are provided with detailed forecasts for the next five years and are substantiated by quantitative analysis that can support further analysis to product and company forecasts over the short and long run.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this report. In-depth interviews were conducted with leading experts in the field, including company executives, industry analysts and leading biotechnology investigators.
The overall biomolecule separation sector comprises a variety of fast-growing, independent segments. For completeness, the current and forecasted markets comprise the total market for each respective segment. Within each sub-section, there is a detailed forecast of each market driver or relevant area of growth.
The information used in preparing this report was obtained from emerging companies in the biomolecule separation industry, including their annual reports, 10Ks, press releases, websites and other company documents. Information also came from articles published in research journals, such as the Belfort’s Biomolecular Separations Research Group, NUS Membrane Research-Bio Separation, Lab-on-a-Chip Technology, Nature Methods, and Trends in Biotechnology. Other information was gathered from the World Health Organization and biotechnology associations. Population estimates are based on those reported by the U.S. Census Bureau’s international database. Investigated articles appeared in various journals focusing on biotechnology and bioprocessing.
Current and historical revenue figures for individual products have been acquired from company disclosures that exist in the public domain or from government sources.
Jackson Highsmith is a life sciences research consultant with more than 16 years of research experience. Jackson has been consulting with specialty pharmaceuticals and large pharmaceutical industry players since 2007. Prior to that, he worked at a large research consultancy where he focused on in-depth research; he also has worked at a large pharmaceutical company dealing with a wide range of medical therapeutics in early and midstage drug development.
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders.
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters.
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters.
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or its use.
Download Report Overview