STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Gone are the days when a car was solely a mechanical machine. The proportion of electronic components used in motor vehicles has been increasing in recent years. Automakers are relying more heavily on electronics technology, with electronic components making up as much as 30% of the production cost.
The electronic components used in cars can roughly be split into two parts: control systems (e.g., power-train components and antilock brakes) and devices (e.g., car audio systems). This report focuses on devices, and is aimed at educating the reader from both market and technology perspectives.
These devices not only entertain the car driver and passengers but also provide enhanced safety and usability. As such, a large number of devices could fall into this category, but this research focuses on the following devices most commonly found in cars: Global Positioning System (GPS) devices, car audio, satellite radio, DVD players, radar detectors, and rearview cameras. For each device, the report provides the value offered and key technical considerations from both the hardware and software point of view. Market size and forecast of the total market in each category by dollar, volume, and geographic region during the next 5 years are included.
Each device market is further segmented where applicable, and the reader is provided with pertinent information. The report provides the reader with the market ecosystem for each device category and explains the trends shaping the future. Key players in each category are also discussed along with market share information.
Emerging technologies that define the future of automotive electronic devices are also discussed. The report also includes an analysis of patents filed in this marketplace by various companies.
A research study aimed at analyzing this market would be useful to anyone connected to this field. It provides students, executives, and those interested in technology with insight into the underlying technology, market forces, and trends that will help them understand the dynamics.
AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRONIC DEVICES: MARKET SEGMENTATION
For the purpose of definition for this report, the automotive electronics market is segmented into five categories: GPS devices, in-dash players/entertainment systems, automotive video devices, satellite radio, and radar detectors. The focus of the report is on the consumer multimedia devices and control devices such as transmission controllers are excluded from the report.
REPORT SCOPE AND ORGANIZATION
This report is divided into five main parts: GPS devices, in-dash players/entertainment systems, automotive video devices, satellite radio, and radar detectors. The following is provided for each category:
- Definition and further segmentation
- Overall market
- Geographic data
- Revenue by end application
- Business models
- Growth forecast and market trends
- Key players and market share
The report also includes a high-level discussion of the hardware and software design that pertains to each segment.
This report will provide the following:
- Understanding of the architecture of automotive electronic devices and the roles played by different hardware and software components
- Understanding of the market segment and the factors driving its growth
- Knowledge of business models used in different market segments
- Market potential for each segment and projections for the next 5 years
This report will be useful to a broad reader base. More specifically, the following should benefit:
- Consumer electronics industry insiders, including executives, managers, marketing, and salespeople, looking to enhance their business knowledge by understanding more about the automotive electronics market
- Product marketing and management people from the automotive market ecosystem who want to understand the intricacies of the market and position their products accordingly
- Business and venture executives in the technology industry looking to invest in automotive electronics companies
- Finance and investment professionals looking to make investment decisions for automotive electronic device manufacturers
Market data and information for this report was conducted through numerous channels. Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study.
For example, industry association data was obtained, along with publicly available information from various companies. These include Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings by public companies, presentations in various conferences, and articles and reports published by company insiders.
We tracked the sales data of the automotive industry since automotive electronics sales are closely correlated to automobile sales. Interviews were conducted with company executives and other industry experts to obtain market insight. The companies selected for this purpose fell into several categories, including hardware suppliers, device manufacturers, and engineering services companies.
Other sources used include exhaustive Internet searches, blogs, and articles written by industry journalists. Editors and executives provided individual perspectives on the market. Industry journals and publications, white papers, and technical notes were also reviewed.
The projection for future market growth was based on several factors. BCC developed a mathematical model to forecast the growth based on:
- Annual revenue of the automotive industry throughout the last 5 years; this data was used to determine trends and correlation between the automotive electronics industry and sales of automobiles.
- External factors, such as the economy and growth projections by key institutions such as the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Key drivers for each the market segment
- Geographical trends impacting the technology, such as the rise of Asia as a major consumer base
- New innovations and threats facing the existing technology
Anand Joshi has more than 16 years of experience in the consumer electronics industry as well as the embedded and semiconductor industries.
As an industry executive, he has often been involved in developing market strategies, market projections, and modeling. He brings his extensive industry expertise and knowledge to the development of this report.
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or its use.
Download Report Overview