2011 Advanced Materials Research Review
- BCC expects the first commercially significant sales of graphene products to develop before 2015 when the market is projected to be as large as $67 million. The graphene market should start to take off after 2015, reaching nearly $675 million by 2020, reflecting a 58.7% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) between 2015 and 2020.
- BCC Research forecasts a promising near future for photonic crystals. The market was $2.1 billion in the year 2010, is expected to reach $5.2 billion in 2011, and $34.5 billion by 2016 with a CAGR of 46.1%.
- The global market for nonwoven filter media is projected to experience a 7% CAGR over the next 5 years, increasing from a value of $2.5 billion in 2010 to $3.5 billion in 2015.
Few fields can claim to have such widespread impact as materials science. Rational materials design is attractive because it promises to avoid time-consuming synthesis and testing of an overwhelming number of materials candidates. But increasingly complex challenges have caused increasing questions for the approach. Combinatorial and high-throughput (CHT) experimentation in materials science has begun to emerge in 2011 as a potential step ahead for material design, and can be seen most visibly in the DOE Battery material testing facility, unveiled as a scientific community resource.
Graphene continues to generate both large headlines and significant funding. Photonic crystals have re-emerged as a powerful new tool, and might in photo medicine applications enable a new class of devices. In short, materials are becoming smarter, more useful, and more widespread.
This Advanced Material Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2011 on the following advanced materials markets:
- Graphene: Technologies, Applications and Markets
- Wire and Cable: Materials, Technologies and Global Markets
- Photonic Crystals: Materials, Technologies and Global Markets
- Lightweight Materials In Transportation
- Nonwoven Filter Media: Technologies and Global Markets
- Advanced Structural Carbon Products: Fibers, Foams & Composites
- Smart Materials and Their Applications: Technologies and Global Markets
- Advanced Protective Gear and Armor
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ advanced materials market research needs.
Microspheres, spherical micro particles 1 micron to 1,000 microns in diameter, are innovative raw materials with superior functionality that help improve the quality of the final product at a reduced cost. Microspheres are a growing element in many companies’ tool boxes. The global market for microspheres in 2010 is estimated to be $2 billion and growing at a 5–year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.6%, reaching global sales of $3.5 billion by 2015.
The global market for superconductivity applications is expected to reach nearly $2 billion in 2010 and nearly $3.4 billion in 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.3% over the next 5 years. Superconducting magnets, particularly those used in science, research and technology development, and healthcare applications dominate the market. However, superconducting electrical equipment is expected to capture nearly 25% of the market by 2015.
The total demand for the North American commercial roofing market is estimated to grow by a 12.7% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) in total market value and by an 8.8% CAGR in total market volume. By 2014, it is estimated that the total market value will reach more than $5.8 billion, derived from sales of more than 74.3 million squares of product. As energy costs continue to rise, the ability of roofing materials to reduce utility bills will begin to play a much larger role in helping to calculate the actual cost-effectiveness of the roofing system. The rise in popularity of green building has produced a new demand in the market for a larger variety of recycled roofing materials.
Advanced materials continue to be one of the foundations on which nearly all global markets grow. Advanced materials technology enables other technological breakthroughs, and the importance of advanced materials technology to the global economy is immeasurable.
Advanced materials technology market research has long been one of the leading coverage areas for BCC Research. Since the firm was founded in 1971, BCC has examined nearly every existing advanced materials market.
This review of research conducted in 2007 by BCC Research is meant to provide market quantification and guidance in a variety of global advanced materials technology markets. BCC Research closely examines all major market segments and provides in-depth analysis of market drivers, major players, patent activity and other key market factors that are influencing or will influence market growth in the next 5 years. For decades, buyers of BCC's advanced materials market research reports have relied on our data and analysis to help them with strategic planning, product positioning, production capacity expansions, and asset allocation.
This review includes highlights of reports published by BCC Research on the following topics:
- Friction Products and Materials
- Advanced Materials and Devices for Renewable Energy Systems
- Powder Metallurgy
- Advanced Protective Gear and Armor
- Lightweight Materials in Transportation
- EMI/RFI Materials and Technologies
- Smart and Interactive Textiles.
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to another year of serving our customers' technology market research needs.