Superalloys: Technologies, Applications, and Global Markets
The global superalloy market reached $5.2 billion in 2015. This market is expected to increase from nearly $5.6 billion in 2016 to $7.7 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% for 2016-2021.
- An overview of the global market for superalloys.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2015 and 2016, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2021.
- Examination of the market based on market share, product and application types, as well as region.
- An overview for the existing applications as well as new potential markets with upcoming technologies.
- Analyses of the technologies and factors influencing market demand.
- Evaluations of the market structure by major end users, major manufacturers and their market shares, and trends in price.
- Profiles of major companies in the industry.
The scope of this investigation includes the major superalloy categories that are relevant to an array of mechanical products and equipment. Superalloys provide enhanced durability, excellent thermal management and associated properties, and other key benefits that are critical to the operation of many high-tech mechanical and industrial equipment and facilities. The specific technology categories considered in this report are shown below, which include all major sectors bearing moderate to large markets for superalloy materials on a global basis. This report focuses explicitly on superalloys and does not consider other alloys such as advanced titanium or steel alloys.
Superalloy categories considered in this report:
- Airplane jet engines: jet engines for commercial cargo and passenger airlines; jet engines for private business airlines; jet engines for military applications; jet engines for rotary (helicopter) applications.
- Power generation: utility gas turbines; industrial gas turbines for power generation; steam turbines; nuclear reactors.
- Industrial applications: gas compressors; chemical processing equipment; waste processing equipment; thermal processing equipment.
- Oil and gas extraction: subsea topsides; drilling and completion; compressor systems.
- Automotive: turbochargers; other engine components.
Biomedical applications are also covered in this report. However, they carry a small market size and therefore market data, with breakdowns by material and region but not by their application within the biomedical category, and are provided in an appendix.
The data, market information, and industry insights presented are intended to provide a holistic overview of all the major markets for superalloys. The market analysis submitted in this report is based on a variety of data sources. These include the most recent corporate, industrial, and government data on superalloy production, sales, imports and exports. The manufacturing and industrial productivity data is intended to help gauge anticipated future market growth. The results from the data generated by recent and ongoing research and development efforts are aimed at identifying new and developing niches for certain classes of superalloys and their potential for associated growth.
Research and development of new superalloys and associated materials are key drivers of future market growth within the industry. Emerging superalloys that may become commercially viable within the next five years are summarized but are not included in the market assessment of this report. BCC Research analyzes each major viable superalloy, as shown above, determines its current market status, examines its impact on future markets, and presents forecasts of growth over the next five years. Technological issues, including the latest trends, are assessed and discussed, as are the current and likely regulatory environments in support of this industry. Sales of superalloys into various industrial and manufacturing categories and end uses are considered.
BCC Research analyzes the superalloys industry on a worldwide basis regarding the production and sale of superalloys, as these are incorporated into a variety of products. BCC Research also examines institutional and government support, including research and development (R&D), which ultimately provides support to long-term growth in superalloys markets, as relevant through 2021. BCC Research also discusses recent trends and projections in terms of unit sales, as well as market sales values.
Robert Eckard, Ph.D., has about 15 years of experience working in the energy and environmental industries. Having completed his dissertation in water resources at the University of California at Davis, Robert also runs a small industry research and technical consulting company with an emphasis on industrial water and energy sectors. Robert has provided economic analysis market assessments, environmental analysis, and industry level reports to state and local governments, other consultants, and private companies and individuals throughout the U.S., as well as the Middle East, Europe, Southeast Asia and Australia. He has also worked as a subcontractor for the U.S. Department of Energy and has provided evaluations of regional and national level industrial boiler markets, and related supply markets, for Fortune 500 firms as well as companies looking to supply or provide services to industrial boiler end users. Previously, he has produced reports for BCC Research on the global markets for a variety of energy and water related industries including alternative natural gas extraction techniques, enhanced oil recovery, distributed power generation, energy-efficient building technologies, recycled wastewater treatment and solar-power generation and heating technologies.