2014 Biotechnology Research Review
- The global market for bioengineered protein drugs was valued at $151.9 billion in 2013, increasing to about $157 billion in 2014. The market is further expected to grow to about $222.7 billion in 2019, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.2% from 2014 through 2019.
- The global synthetic biology market reached nearly $2.1 billion in 2012 and $2.7 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to $11.8 billion in 2018 with a CAGR of 34.4% over the five-year period from 2013 to 2018.
- The global market for cancer profiling technologies reached $26.1 billion in 2012 and nearly $30.1 billion in 2013. This market is expected to reach $54.8 billion in 2018, a CAGR of 12.8% over the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
Research Reviews from BCC Research provide market professionals with concise market coverage within a specific research category. These Research Reviews include portions of several market research reports that were published in 2014, and are an efficient way for market professionals to keep up with the general market developments of 2014.
Please note that page references in the text are to pages in the original, complete report, and do not reflect the actual page numbers in this Research Review.
This 2014 Biotechnology Research Review includes excerpts from the following reports:
- BIO009F Global Markets for Bioengineered Protein Drugs.
- BIO066C Synthetic Biology: Global Markets.
- BIO073B Cancer Profiling and Pathways: Technologies and Global Markets.
- BIO130A Global Markets for Microbiology Technology, Equipment and Consumables.
- BIO135A Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Global Markets.
- BIO137A Digital Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Technology: Global Markets.
We encourage you to obtain and benefit from the full market research reports that are excerpted in this Research Review.
BCC Research looks forward to serving your market intelligence needs in the future.
Kevin R. Fitzgerald
- The global RNAi research tool and reagent, therapeutic, diagnostic, and agriculture market was valued at $210.2 million in 2012. The RNAi market is expected to reach $220.3 million in 2013 and $290 million by 2018, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.7% for the period of 2013 to 2018.
- The next generation sequencing market reached $231.7 million in 2012. The market is expected to reach $510.7 million in 2013 and $7.6 billion in 2018 for a CAGR of 71.6%.
- The global bioinformatics market was valued at nearly $2.8 billion in 2011, nearly $3.2 billion in 2012, and is forecast to grow to nearly $7.5 billion by 2017 after increasing at a CAGR of 18.7%.
- A comprehensive analysis of the agricultural biotechnology industry, with an emphasis on products and technologies that are commercially important in the 2012 to 2017 time period.
- An in-depth look at the demand for biosimilar drugs that have entered the market worldwide and forecasts the growth prospects for these products.
- A detailed analysis of the kinase inhibitors industry structure has been conducted. Revenues are broken down by region. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2011 through 2016.
- The global market for sample preparation reagents and products used in life science research was $2.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to increase to $3.6 billion by 2011. The market is forecast to reach $8.4 billion by 2016, increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.8%.
- The global biobanking market was $141 billion in 2010 and is projected to expand by 30% between 2010 and 2015, increasing at a CAGR of 5.4%.
- The global RNAi drug delivery market was worth $7 billion in 2010 and is expected to grow to nearly $24.1 billion by 2015, increasing at a five-year CAGR of 27.9%.
Global sales of chiral technology products in 2008 were $4.3 billion and with 3.3% growth, the sales reached $4.5 billion in 2009. This market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.8% and reach $5.1 billion by 2014. The chiral technology market is led by chiral synthesis products with more than 80% share.
BCC Research report, Chiral Technology: Global Markets
The market for innovative biological therapies in cancer treatment will nearly double in the next 5 years, eventually exceeding $50 billion in the next 5 to 10 years. The biotherapy segment has recorded a 34.1% annual growth rate since 2004, and is forecast to almost double by 2014. Recent analysis reveals that biologic drugs will account for about 50% of the top 100 drugs in 2014.
BCC Research report, Biological Therapies for Cancer: Technologies and Global Markets
A period of dynamic growth in the therapeutic vaccines market is expected with the rollout of some eight products before 2015, not only to treat cancer but to address nicotine addiction as well. The total worldwide market for therapeutic vaccines is expected to reach $137 million in 2010. With increased product introductions, this market is expected to reach nearly $3.1 billion in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of more than 117%.
BCC Research report, Therapeutic Vaccines: The Global Market