Mass Storage Systems Developments and Trends
The storage networking market, over the next five years, will be a primary driver of demand for storage software and services.
The total market for mass storage systems will see an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 12.2% through 2007.
Storage services will become the single largest segment of the storage market.
The North American storage services market will grow at more than double the rate of hardware revenues.
REASONS FOR THE STUDY AND ITS IMPORTANCE
A New Asset
A Bigger Bite
TECHNOLOGY CHANGES AND ADVANCES
A New Perspective
New technology has also unleashed its own flood of data with the establishment of an extensive network infrastructure, including the Internet, corporate Intranets and virtual private networks. Compounding the strain of handling all this data flow is an unpredictable pattern of volume growth. Thus, a reliance on electronic data to conduct both front and back office is mounting, while backup windows are shrinking amid rising levels of critical data moving across 'always on' networks. This creates a complex storage environment ripe with brand new challenges infusing the mass storage industry, elevating its prominence in IT infrastructure, and inviting evolutionary change.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY AND ITS CONTRIBUTION
The objectives of this study are intended to provide information pertinent to the industry in such depth for the report audience to sufficiently evaluate the implications of the analysis data on their future market success, as well as the future of the industry. The objectives are to:
- Describe the mass storage industry including its dynamics, influences, inhibitors, and legal challenges.
- Explain the technology and its application and usage in the mass storage industry including implications of emerging developments and anticipated advancements.
- Quantify and project product and application markets.
- Isolate industry challenges and avenues of opportunity - both current and long term.
- Delineate how to take full advantage of identified opportunities.
- Examine market potential across products, applications, and geographic regions plus forecast trends.
- Assess the industry's competitive environment and strategic direction.
AUDIENCE FOR THE REPORT
Market opportunities have emerged and will gain momentum for a number of broad groups. These groups, which are most appropriate as the direct audience of this report, are:
- Manufacturers and vendors in the mass storage industry including storage media companies;
- Value Added Resellers (VARs) and system integrators;
- Computer industry-related consultants (solution providers);
- Outsourcing computer-related services;
- Software developers;
- Distributors and suppliers of computer equipment and supplies;
- Manufacturers and vendors in the networking and telecommunications industries;
- Technology related training and educational services;
- Technical and vocational schools;
- Corporate MIS managers and CIOs;
- Internet service providers;
- Investors in information technology.
SCOPE AND CONTENT OF REPORT
A separate comprehensive analysis and forecast is devoted to the market for each of the leading mass storage industry revenue stream areas - hardware, software, and services. Coverage of market projections encompasses a 5-year period from 2002 through 2007. Market data for years 1999, 2000, and 2001 is also included with selected projections for comparative purposes. Product market value projections are addressed both on the basis of major product category and the four major regional markets of the world: North America, Europe, Pacific Asia, and Rest of the World. An examination of world market values for the entire industry concludes the product category presentation to provide an inclusive picture and extensive market forecast.
Additional market intelligence is supplied from the analysis of mass storage application markets. Five-year revenue forecasts for each market application present contribution values by region, as well as by major mass storage product market areas. An examination of the world mass storage market by leading market application provides a more comprehensive picture to conclude the market application presentation. An industry structure discussion furnishes strategic market information on major market players, channel trends, market drivers, opportunities for growth, and challenges to market expansion. An assessment of the competitive environment is included as part of the analysis of each product market.
The technologies of the mass storage industry are explained, including their projected contribution value to the market. Salient technology issues and trends are explored in relation to standards, product development, and market opportunities and barriers. Profiles of key industry participants are also chronicled in the report contents. An appendix supplements the study by supplying a database of industry-related organizations and industry publications.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
The forecast data are based on analysis of information from government, industry-related associations and organizations, technology trends, financial sources, secondary sources, and primary research from industry sources. Industry sources included manufacturers and suppliers of mass storage equipment and devices, software developers, industry service providers, distributors, systems integrators, resellers, and commercial users.
The report analyst has been involved with the information technology industry for over 20 years. That experience spans mainframe multi-site environments down to small client/server installations and home offices. The analyst's credentials also include a Bachelor of Science degree in marketing and a Master of Administration degree.