Excipients in Pharmaceuticals
The global excipient market reached nearly $5.9 billion in 2012. This market is expected to grow to $6.3 billion in 2013 and then to $8.8 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.9% over the five-year period from 2013 to 2018.
- An overview of the global market for excipients in pharmaceuticals, including examinations of the effects of a crisis in the global supply chain, the demands of quality by design (QbD), and concerns about drug safety
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018
- Discussion of positive trends in the industry, including the development of creative ideas in response to the need for new excipients and new levels of cooperation between major players
- Coverage of the most important issues surrounding excipients: technological, regulatory, economic, and political
- Evaluations of excipient technology by chemical compounds, functional uses, delivery systems and finished products
- Comprehensive company profiles of suppliers and others relevant to the industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
Excipients in Pharmaceuticals offers coverage of the most important issues surrounding excipients: technological, regulatory, economic, political and so on.
Excluded from the study are ingredients for cosmetics, personal care, food, quasi-medical, unorthodox, alternative, home remedies, underground and/or illegal drugs and veterinary drugs.
This report organizes information from diverse sources into sections entitled Summary, Overview, Technology, Industry Structure and Company Profiles. The Summary encapsulates several key conclusions and includes a table of market findings. The Overview provides deep background on the burning issues of the day, including the global supply chain crisis, QbD and legislative prospects. The Technology section examines excipients by chemical compounds, functional uses, and delivery systems, and as finished products. The Industry Structure section discusses the market environment, strategies, influences, market shares, international aspects and other related factors. The Company Profiles segment provides summaries of more than 120 companies that supply excipients or are relevant to the industry.
Paul Evers has been involved in analyzing pharmaceutical and medical markets for 20 years. He is the author of several previous BCC reports on various aspects of the pharmaceutical marketplace including the excipients sector, as well as analyses of major trends and the pharmaceutical regulatory environment.
The global excipients market was at $4.6 billion in 2010 and it is expected to reach at $4.9 billion in 2011. It is further anticipated to increase to $6.7 billion by 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.5%.
- Overall sales in the global excipients market were worth $4.1 billion in 2008, and increased to an estimated $4.3 billion in 2009. By 2014, it is projected to increase to $5.9 billion, for a 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.3%.
- The largest segment of the market, organic chemicals, was valued at $3.8 billion in 2008; this is expected to increase to $4 billion in 2009, and is projected to reach $5.5 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 6.4%.
- Sales in the USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia-grade) Water segment amounted to $79 million in 2008, increased to an estimated $84 million in 2009, and is projected to increase to $104 million in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 4.4%.
The chemical compounds used to make excipients are valued at $4.3 billion market value for 2011, up from $3.5 billion in 2006. The dominance of USP water, particularly water for injection, skews the market volume and sets the pace for the anticipated 5.1% average annual market volume growth rate over the next five years.
Formulators will continue to use excipients to give their final drug products the necessary or desired functional use or properties. Vehicles, with an estimated 2011 market volume of 9.6 billion pounds, lead due to the large amount of USP water consumed.
Fillers follow with an estimated 849 million pounds of excipient chemical compounds being used in that functional category in five years. In terms of market value, the situation is reversed. Fillers come out on top, with an estimated 2011 market value of $1.2 billion, and vehicles drop to third place with $781 million, just below emollients at $816 million.
In 2001, the global market for pharmaceutical (drug) inert ingredients was an estimated 7.25 billion pounds, of which water, accounted for about 77% of the total.
Overall growth of all drug inert ingredients is the order of 5% per year.
Injectables, essentially all Rx, constitute the single largest dosage form of excipients used in 2001 with almost 1.9 billion Kgs.
Nonaqueous biological use will grow to 563 million Kgs by 2007, an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 4.5%.
When do I get the report?
Most reports are fulfilled immediately. In some cases, it could take up to 24 hours.
In what format does this report get delivered to me?
We will send you an email with login credentials to access the report. You will also be able to download the pdf.
What are the free reports included in my purchase?
They consist of a collection of current reports from various partner publishers scanning multiple industries.
What is the difference between BCC Research and BCC Publishing?
BCC Research curates thousands of reports from different sources and provides access to this content to our clients. BCC Publishing is the publication arm of BCC Research (one of several publishers in our portal).
What reports do I get 'discounts' on with my purchase?
All reports. BCC Publishing reports will be available for a 50% discount. All other partner publishers are also available at deeply discounted rates.
Where are you located?
Wellesley Massachusetts, just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
How long has BCC Research been around?
We are approaching our 50 year anniversary in 2021!
What if I want you to invoice me for payment via Purchase Order?
Simply choose Pay by Purchase Order when you are checking out. We will connect with you via email to set up your order.
What if I have a question about your reports?
Call us, email us, or chat with us! We encourage your questions and feedback. We have a research concierge team available at all times, and included in every purchase, to help our customers find the research they need-when they need it.
Can I share this report with my team?
Absolutely yes, with the purchase of additional user licenses.
Can I use your research in my presentation?
Absolutely yes, so long as the publisher is properly cited.