- Global atomic layer deposition market was worth approximately $318 million in 2008. This market decreased to $199 million in 2009 under the impact of the recession in many of the world’s major economies, it is projected to grow to nearly $978 million between 2009 and 2014, at a CAGR of 37.5% over the 5-year period
- Equipment market was nearly $231 million in 2008; this further decreased to $121 million in 2009, this is projected to reach $579 million in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 36.8%.
- Materials market was $87 million in 2008; this further decreased to $78 million in 2009, this is projected to reach $399.5 million in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 38.5%.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
Atomic layer deposition (ALD) is a relatively new thin film deposition technology invented in Finland in 1974. For many years this method has been mainly used for R&D purposes, primarily due to its low deposition rate. However, since the year 2000, ALD has gained renewed commercial interest in both microelectronics and nanotechnology for the manufacturing of films with a thickness below 100 nm (nanofilms).
BCC published its first report on atomic layer deposition in March 2006. During the last 3 years, the market for ALD materials and equipment has evolved, new technological developments have occurred in the field, and industry changes have taken place.
The main goal of this report is to provide new insights into current ALD technology, outlining technological trends, and supplying an updated market analysis for ALD materials and equipment.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are:
- Provide an updated review of ALD technology, focusing on materials, equipment, and fabrication technologies
- Highlight new technological developments during the past 3 years, while outlining current technical issues
- Review existing fields of application for atomic layer deposition and investigate emerging applications
- Estimate current global markets for ALD materials and equipment with growth forecasts through 2014 for each market segment
- Identify important technology and market trends within each market segment
- Supply an updated review of current players in ALD technology
- Provide a description of current worldwide research activities and evaluate their impact on industry growth
- Determine trends in U.S. patents issued during the past 3 years.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Atomic layer deposition is a thin film deposition method that allows for the manufacturing of films by sequential deposition of layers at an atomic scale. This technique has been investigated for producing nanofilms for various commercial sectors, including but not limited to electronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optics, and medical/biological.
In 2005, the ALD market was quite small, valued at $214.1 million, and growing at a healthy 18.8% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) during the period 2003 through 2005.
Since BCC’s last report, ALD technology has continued to evolve. Modified processes have been introduced to mitigate some intrinsic drawbacks of ALD technology and to expand its fields of application.
The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of the ALD industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of the ALD industry from a global standpoint. The market for atomic layer deposition is still quite small, with a very limited number of players; consequently, any change in a firm’s activities and/or location has a major impact on both manufacturing and sales distribution. Therefore, it is also necessary to provide an updated geographical mapping of points of production of ALD materials and equipment, relative to global sales and distribution. Such an evaluation will contribute to a broader understanding of growth opportunities for ALD technology and its applications within the U.S. and abroad.
An equally important reason for performing this study is to provide an overview of global R&D activities related to the ALD industry, both within public and private organizations, and to illustrate the latest technological developments that can assist companies in finding opportunities for process and productivity improvements and, consequently, positively impact their future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all companies that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute ALD materials and equipment
- Fabricate thin film devices or coated products.
- Offer thin film deposition and coating services
- Manufacture processing and characterization equipment for the thin film industry
- Provide technical and/or marketing services for the thin film industry
- Are planning to enter the thin film industry and nanotechnology sector as a supplier, manufacturer, service provider, or end user.
Overall, this study applies to industry segments such as electronics, mechanical, chemical, energy, optics, medical, biological, dental, medical, and nanotechnology.
The study is mainly directed towards executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding ALD technology, materials, and equipment, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers, and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the ALD industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This study provides an updated review of the atomic layer deposition process, with its variants and upgrades, focusing on materials and equipment used. A detailed description of current and emerging applications of ALD technology is also supplied.
BCC Research describes various types of precursors and production systems, determines their current market status, defines trends, and presents forecasts of growth over the next 5 years. Technological issues, including the latest process developments, are also discussed.
BCC Research analyzes the ALD industry on a worldwide basis from the standpoint of both manufacturing and consumption. In addition, the study examines commercial and public research activities in major regions of the world. Research objectives and areas of interest related to the ALD process, materials, equipment, and applications are also outlined.
More specifically, BCC’s market analysis is divided into five parts.
In the first part, a historical review of the atomic layer deposition process is provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current and emerging applications of ALD are also identified and divided by sector (i.e., electronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optics, medical/biological/dental, and nanotechnology).
The second part of the report entails a global market analysis of the ALD industry, based on two product categories: ALD precursors and equipment. This section offers a revised and detailed description of ALD materials, followed by a review of related recent technological developments and patent abstracts. Global materials revenues (sales data in M$) are presented for each type of material, and by application and region, with actual data referring to the years 2005 through 2008, and estimated data for the year 2009.
Additionally, an updated review of process technologies and equipment is provided, together with a discussion of new features and improvements and significant patents. To characterize the current ALD equipment market, global revenues are reported for the period 2005 through 2009 with current estimates by equipment type, application, and region,
This section is completed by a presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends, equipment upgrades, and regional trends. Projected revenues for both materials and systems are reported, with forecast CAGRs for the period 2009 through 2014.
In the third part, covering global industry structure, the report provides a complete list of manufacturers of ALD materials and equipment with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of ALD precursors and equipment production versus consumption, always from a geographical standpoint. Detailed company profiles of the top 25 industry players and individual market shares for the five leading companies are also provided.
In the fourth part of this study, an analysis of industry competitiveness is performed. This analysis encompasses a review of global research and development activities, with profiles of the most important R&D players divided by region, and an outline of the most critical factors contributing to industry competitiveness.
The fifth and final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to ALD materials, equipment, processes, and applications, issued during the period 2007 through 2009. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application, and film type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data and analyze the overall market and market segments.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC reports, professional journals, author’s field experience, and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by analyzing 45 manufacturers of ALD materials and equipment, accounting for at least 95% of the global market. Data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, Internet web sites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources, and other public sources.
Additional data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources, including: company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers, and users of ALD materials and equipment; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Secondary sources of information include:
- EDGAR—U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- European Patent Office
- Company Web sites
- Company annual reports
- Thomas Registers
- Moody’s Directory
- S & P Industry Survey
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory
- American Ceramic Society Publications
- Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories
- Foreign Stock Exchange Listings
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC reports, and the author’s own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
Margareth Gagliardi, BCC’s chief research analyst in Advanced Materials, has more than 25 years of experience in the field of advanced materials, specializing in ceramic formulations, materials processing, and new product development. She has held management positions in both manufacturing and R&D within U.S. and European firms producing electronic, mechanical, chemical, and structural components. She holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and an M.S. in Ceramic Engineering.
She has authored numerous BCC Research studies, including the following that are related to thick and thin films, nanotechnology, and materials for electronic applications:
- AVM046B Thick Film Devices, Processes and Applications, 2009
- AVM018F Rare Earths: Worldwide Markets, Applications,
- AVM052B Aerogels, 2009
- AVM065A Smart Glass: Technologies and Global Markets, 2009
- SMC037D Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and
- AVM047B Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP) Equipment and
- NAN043A Nanofibers: Technologies and Developing Markets, 2007
- NAN042A Nanorobotics and NEMS, 2007
- SMC061A Atomic Layer Deposition, 2006
- SMC057A Thin Films: Raw Materials, Technology and Applications,
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders
- Subscribe to BCC’s industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or from its use.