The global bioinformatics market was valued at nearly $2.8 billion in 2011, nearly $3.2 billion in 2012, and is forecast to grow to nearly $7.5 billion by 2017 after increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.7%.
The report provides:
- An overview of the global market for bioinformatics.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017.
- Technological descriptions and patenting trends in bioinformatics.
- Examination of the economic environment affecting the deployment of bioinformatics.
- Discussion of other influential factors, such as R&D spending in the pharmaceutical sector, the growth of agrobiotechnology, and the expanded use of microbial genomics.
BIOINFORMATICS MARKET BY REGION, 2011-2017
Source: BCC Research
Download Report Overview
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC Research’s goal for this study is to provide a comprehensive analysis of the bioinformatic market by reviewing the recent advances in high-throughput ‘omic technologies and computer-enabled technologies that have driven the field forward. It examines the market trends and analysis regarding industry service providers, software solution developers, and IT and bioinformatics service providers that support the pharma industry.
The report’s main focus is on identifying the challenges and opportunities that exist in the bioinformatic market following the adoption of high- throughput technologies and the generation of big data. It aims to identify innovative companies and institutes that are extending the boundaries of science and technology to develop innovative solutions and enable knowledge to be extracted from burgeoning data so that it may be put to use for the greater good.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
Since the Human Genome Project was completed in April 2003, genome-wide association studies (GWAS) have contributed toward a greater understanding of the genetic basis of complex diseases and advances in high-throughput technologies. This has enabled researchers to rapidly map the genome of vertebrates, invertebrates and pathogens through cost-effective methods.
More recently, improvements in cloud computing capabilities and advances in data-analysis software services have helped to expand the evaluation of available datasets, allowing researchers to build systems biology models of various diseases. Still, the challenge to translate this wealth of information into tangible clinical benefits, to support the development of new therapeutic interventions and to reduce the current prohibitively high cost of drug development remains.
SCOPE OF REPORT
The scope of the study encompasses the global bioinformatic market based on geography, category and application. It provides a detailed analysis of recent advances in ‘omic technologies and examines their impact on the bioinformatics market. It discusses the ways in which bioinformatics have been utilized by the pharma and biotech industries to streamline the research and development (R&D) process and improve efficiencies. It provides a detailed analysis of leading countries, companies and technologies that will drive the field forward.
The study provides a detailed analysis of the economic, technological and potential application of bioinformatics; it also examines the market factors and identifies the market potential through the year 2017. The study is aimed at the pharmaceutical industry, biotechnology firms, research laboratories and individuals interested in exploiting the commercial opportunities offered in this field.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Both primary and secondary sources were used in preparing this study. This analysis of bioinformatics breaks down the market by geography, category and application, and also analyzes current and potential opportunities for bioinformatic business. It includes market sizes from 2011 and forecasts market revenues through 2017.
Primary research involved e-mail correspondence and telephone interviews for each market, category, segment and sub-segment across geographies. BCC Research extends its thanks those who took part in interviews for this report, especially the following, who gave so generously of their time:
- Paul Clemons, PhD, Director of Computational Chemical Biology Research Broad Institute, U.S.
- Rolf Apweiler, PhD, EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, U.K.
- John Atack, PhD, Translational Drug Discovery Group, School of Life Science, University of Sussex, U.K.
- Tom Schwei, Vice President, CFO and General Manager DNASTAR Inc., U.S.
- Simon M. Lin, MD, Editor-in-Chief at the Journal of Computer Science and System Biology, BIRC, U.S.
Secondary research was performed on internal and external sources to acquire qualitative and quantitative information for this report. These sources include:
- Company websites, annual reports, financial reports and investor presentations.
- Industry trade journals, scientific journals and other technical literature.
- Relevant patent and regulatory databases.
- National government documents, statistical databases and market reports.
- News articles, press releases and webcasts specific to the companies.
Dr. C.L. Barton has more than 10 years’ practical pharmaceutical research experience with a leading pharmaceutical company and has served as a Pan-European Pharmaceutical analyst with a European bank. Dr. C. L. Barton Ltd. aims to provide independent, tailor-made, pharmaceutical thematic research to investment houses. Research reports combine independent scientific analysis with patients- and prescription-based models to forecast the potential sales growth of key developmental drugs and to isolate the key drivers within the pharmaceutical sector. For further information, visit www.pharmavision.co.uk
BCC ON-LINE SERVICES
BCC Research offers an online information retrieval service. Its home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine the complete BCC Research catalog of market research reports and place direct orders.
- Subscribe to any of BCC Research’s many industry newsletters.
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters.
- Register for its well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC research product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal or accounting advice, nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is of a speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or from its use.
Download Report Overview