Global Markets for Orphan Drugs
The global market for orphan drugs reached nearly $86.1 billion in 2012. The market is expected to reach $112.1 billion in 2017 for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.4%.
- An overview of orphan drug criteria, the history of the Orphan Drug Act and its influence, advantages inherent in orphan drug designation, and future growth trends
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017
- Detailed discussion of successful orphan products
- Detailed analysis of blockbuster orphan drugs
- The rising influence of pharmacogenomics in the orphan drug market
- A discussion of specific rare diseases for which orphan drugs exist
- Analysis of the most promising therapeutic areas in the industry and leading orphan drugs in these areas
- An outline of legislation and regulation, including public and private agencies involved in support and development
- Technology trends analysis within the orphan drug market
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players in the industry.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study includes orphan drugs in pharmaceutical markets worldwide. BCC analyzes each market and its applications, regulatory environment, technology, market projections and market shares. Technological issues include the latest trends and developments. The emerging market for orphan drugs includes countries such as India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Canada, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
A team of professionals in the biotechnology industry carried out this study. The project manager is Shalini S. Dewan, who holds a master’s degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and has more than 14 years of industry experience. Among the research topics she has covered are studies on compounds of potential pharmaceutical interest from ibuprofen and 2-naphthyl acetic acid. Shalini was awarded a Gold Medal by the Prime Minister of India for her work and has worked with top companies in India and in the U.S. Some of the other reports she has prepared for BCC include Reagents for Chromatography; Spectroscopy: An Enduring Market; Advanced Drug Delivery Systems: Technologies and Global Markets; Orthopedic Drugs, Implants and Devices; Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment; Pharmaceutical Regulatory Industry; The Dynamic Media, Sera and Reagent Market in Biotechnology; Contract Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Research and Packaging: Global Markets; Chiral Technology: Global Markets; Autacoids and Related Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets; Contraceptives: Technologies and Global Markets; Liver Disease Treatments: The Global Market; Hormone Replacement Therapies and Other Hormone Therapies: Global Markets; Cardiovascular Medicine: Diagnostics, Drugs and Devices; and Cancer Therapies: Technologies and Global Markets.