This chapter provides an introduction to BCC’s report on the Chinese medical polymer market, describing study goals and objectives, reasons for doing the study, intended audience, scope, methodology, information sources, and analyst credentials.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goal of this study is to help readers form a comprehensive understanding of recent advances and trends in medical polymer consumption, manufacturing, applications, and technologies in China. Towards this end, the report will provide in-depth analysis of the Chinese medical polymers market.
The medical polymers include resins, fibers, elastomers, and other nonbiodegradable or biodegradable polymers used for medical purposes. In this report, the Chinese medical polymer market is divided into three segments: nonbiodegradable medical resins and fibers; nonbiodegradable medical elastomers; and biodegradable polymers.
- Nonbiodegradable medical resins and fibers include polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polystyrene (PS), polyacrylamide (PAM), polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), polyacrylonitrile (PAN), polyamide (PA), polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVA) copolymer, acrylic acid resins, polyethylene terephthalate (PET), cellulose, polyformaldehyde (POM), and polyethylene glycol (PEG) (see Appendix III for a glossary of abbreviations).
- Nonbiodegradable medical elastomers include silicone rubber, polyurethane (PU), natural rubber latex (NRL), low-protein natural rubber latex (LPNRL), butyl rubber (BR), and thermoplastic elastomer (TPE).
- Biodegradable medical polymers include polylactic acid (PLA), polycaprolactone (PCL), polycarbonate (PC), polyphosphate, polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAS), polybutylene succinate (PBS), biodegradable PU, polypeptides, and biological rubber.
Four objectives in this report will be met. Major types of medical polymers and their future demand in the Chinese market will be described. Main technologies of medical polymers manufacturing will be discussed. Commercial applications in which medical polymers are used will be discussed. Finally, present consumption and future demand for medical polymers will be analyzed for the Chinese market by five regions: Yangtze River Delta, Pearl River Delta, North China, Middle China, and Other.
In addition, trends in technology will be analyzed. The impact of governmental regulations and international agreements will be ascertained. Patents relating to medical polymers will be discussed. The structural dynamics of the Chinese medical polymer industry will be outlined, along with profiles of key manufacturers in Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Guangdong, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Hubei, Liaoning, Fujian, Shandong, and other Chinese provinces and cities.
This report will review the Chinese market for medical polymers and will forecast trends and sales in these markets from 2011 through 2017. Important manufacturers, technologies, and factors influencing demand will be discussed.
The Chinese medical polymers market is closely related to the production and supplies of the pharmaceutical and medical device industries. Therefore, the current situation and trends of the medicines and medical devices market will be described as necessary.
BCC’s goal in conducting this study was to determine the current status of the medical polymer industry in China and to assess its growth potential over a five-year period from 2012 to 2017. A primary objective was to present a comprehensive analysis of the current Chinese medical polymer market and to project its future direction.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
There are three reasons for doing this study, as follows:
- Polymer manufacturers need to understand the market trends and new technologies related to medical applications of their products in order to plan investment, production, and research and development for the next five or more years.
- Pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers need to understand the market and technology trends related to medical polymers to identify advanced raw materials.
- Raw materials suppliers and manufacturers need to understand Chinese medical polymer market consumption and trends for planning production and research and development for the next five years.
SCOPE OF REPORT
The report forecasts the size of the Chinese market in current U.S. dollars for medical polymers in value terms and/or volume terms for each material from 2012 through 2017. The report forecasts the Chinese market size for medical polymers such as PE, PP, PS, PVC, and PU. The forecasts are classified on the basis of product type, application, and geographical region.
The report also describes the important players in the Chinese medical polymer industry. They include homegrown companies, foreign companies, and joint ventures.
The intended audience for this report includes medical polymer manufacturers and suppliers. Pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, and petrochemicals suppliers may also be interested in this report.
Estimates of current market demand are made for 2011 and are projected over the next five years. Projections are made in terms of constant U.S. dollars (2011). Growth is presented in terms of a compound average annual growth rate (CAGR). Prices are measured at the manufacturer level. Price levels of late 2011 to mid-2012 are used to determine market value, unless specified otherwise. Factors that influence price levels will be discussed.
Information sources for this report include experts, executives, professors, and officials in medical polymer companies; pharmaceutical companies; medical device manufacturing companies; industrial associations; universities; and governmental departments. These include Sinopec, China National Petroleum Corp. (CNPC), Hanwha Chemical Corp., Tsinghua University, the Ministry of Commerce of China, the China Chemical Fiber Association, and the National Bureau of Statistics of China. Information sources for the study also include online research, patent literature, technical journals, trade magazines, governmental data, and conference papers from various Chinese provinces and cities.
Jason Chen has been an analyst and consultant for the composite, fiber, textile, and energy industries for a decade. He has been a regular writer or contributing editor for Composites Manufacturing (American Composites Manufacturers Association), International Fiber Journal, Filtration News, Platts Emission Daily, Vision Systems Design, Pesticide and Toxic Chemical News, and MobileTex. He has authored the books “Asian Automotive Textiles: Opportunities and Challenges for Leading Producers,” “China Technical Textiles: Key Producers and Market Trends to 2015,” and “China’s Chemical Fiber Producers.” He is also the author of BCC market research report Tire Reinforcement Materials: Technologies and Global Markets (AVM077A).
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of market research reports and place direct orders.
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters.
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters.
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or its use.