- The global market for process analytical technology (PAT) instrumentation was valued at nearly $195 million in 2010. This market is expected to increase by a 7.4% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to reach an estimated $279 million in 2015.
- The global environmental sensor and monitoring market was worth $11.1 billion in 2010. This market is expected to reach $11.3 billion in 2011 and $15.3 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 6.5% between 2011 and 2016.
- The global market for microscopes and accessories was worth $3.1 billion in 2010. Sales are projected to exceed $3.2 billion in 2011 and $4.1 billion in 2016, a compound annual growth rate of 5% for 2011 to 2016.
Driven by the continued proliferation of more advanced electronic control systems to increase efficiency, users of sensors require ongoing advances in sensor accuracy, reliability, response time, robustness, miniaturization, and/or communication capability. The sensors industry is inherently robust and is well positioned to enjoy an upswing and experience sound growth during the next five years.
There have been advances in micromachining that have made it possible to produce micron-sized devices on a silicon wafer. This process of creating a mechanical device on a silicon wafer is very attractive for large volume applications using mass production processes. An important advantage of this technology is that silicon has been shown to be a very good material for use in sensors.
This 2011 Instrumentation and Sensors Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2011 on the following instrument and sensor markets:
- Process Analytical Technologies for Pharmaceuticals: Global Markets
- Home Automation and Security Technologies, Products, and Markets
- Environmental Sensing and Monitoring Technologies: Global Markets
- MEMS: Biosensors and Nanosensors
- Microscopy: The Global Market
- Sensors: Technologies and Global Markets
- Automotive Electronic Devices: Technologies and Global Markets
- Fiber Optic Sensors: Global Markets
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ instrumentation and sensors market research needs.