STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC has followed the sputtering target market for more than 10 years, reporting on all the latest developments. During this period the market has expanded by a factor of five, and new opportunities have been created for these products. With this study BCC Research continues its commitment to monitoring the sputtering target market by providing an updated review of the most important advances in sputtering technology and target fabrication, and supplying a detailed overview of the current market with an objective analysis of prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
- Supply an update on the most advanced sputtering methods and emerging processes.
- Provide an overview of materials commonly used for the fabrication of sputtering targets and identify new materials.
- Review the latest methods for fabricating sputtering targets.
- Highlight new technological developments in the fabrication of sputtering targets while outlining technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for sputtering technologies and investigate emerging applications.
- Estimate current worldwide markets for sputtering targets and sputtering films, with growth forecasts through 2016 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and market trends within each market segment.
- Supply an updated review of current producers of sputtering targets.
- Provide a description of current worldwide research activities.
- Determine trends in related U.S. patents and worldwide patents issued during the most recent years.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
The global market for thin film technologies (including equipment, materials, and services) is currently valued at over $50 billion and continues to grow. Although there is an increasing need within the semiconductor industry for new deposition technologies that allow formation of very thin films—below 30 nanometers or at the atomic level—sputtering continues to represent a relevant share of the thin film market at approximately 20% of the total.
Sputtering allows fabrication of various types of films (metals, alloys, oxides, and many compounds) that find application in the fabrication process of numerous devices within several industrial sectors. These applications include electronics, mechanical/chemical, energy, optical coatings, life science, and food packaging.
Quality of sputtered films not only depends on process and equipment parameters, such as vacuum conditions, temperature, or equipment design, but also on the configuration and characteristics of the targets and the critical raw materials used for sputtering.
Target properties such as purity, density, shape, grain size, and distribution or manufacturing process directly affect the microstructure at the atomic level of the sputtered film.
At the time of BCC’s last report (2007), the global market for sputtering targets was valued at $2.8 billion and growing. However, at the end of 2007 growth in the global economy began to slow dramatically, along with many sectors in which these products are used, leading to a steep drop in sales during the ensuing 2 years.
The principal reason for doing this study is to present a current assessment of the sputtering target industry from both a technological and a market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of the sputtering target industry from a global standpoint. As use of these products expands and new fields of application emerge, information on regional production, sales, and type of suppliers becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this study is to provide technical insights into sputtering target manufacturing by:
- Supplying a review of target types, their applications and production methods.
- Providing an overview of global R&D activities related to sputtering targets, within both public and private organizations.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in finding opportunities for process and productivity improvements, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all companies that:
- Manufacture, sell, and distribute sputtering targets.
- Fabricate thin film devices or coated products.
- Offer sputter deposition and coating services to the thin film industry.
- Supply raw materials to manufacturers of sputtering targets.
- Manufacture processing and characterization equipment (e.g., compaction presses, induction melters, and analytical instruments) utilized by sputtering target manufacturers.
- Produce sputtering systems or related equipment utilized by thin film producers.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services for the thin film industry.
- Are planning to enter the sputtering industry as a supplier, manufacturer, or end user.
This study applies to industry segments such as microelectronics, advanced displays, data storage media, mechanical/chemical, energy supply/management, optical coatings, and the general coating sector.
The study is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this study to be a good source of technical information regarding sputtering technology, materials, and equipment that can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers, and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the sputtering target industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This study provides an updated review of sputtering technology and a description of various types of sputtering targets, their properties and fabrication methods, and identifies current and potential applications for these products. In addition, it outlines target materials and sputtered films requirements for traditional and emerging applications.
BCC Research determines the current market status of sputtering targets, defines trends, and presents forecasts of growth over the next 5 years. Technological issues, including the latest process developments, are also discussed.
BCC Research analyzes the sputtering target industry on a worldwide basis from the standpoint of both manufacturing and consumption. In addition, the study examines commercial and public research activities in major regions of the world. Research objectives and areas of interest related to target materials, fabrication processes, and applications are also outlined.
More specifically, BCC’s market analysis is divided into six parts.
In the first part, a historical review of the sputtering process is provided, including an outline of recent events. In addition, the report supplies an overview of the latest technological developments related to sputtering technology and a detailed description of current and emerging applications of sputtering.
The second part of the study summarizes typical sputtering target types, raw materials and applications, and production methods. Each of these three sections concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments and improvements since 2008, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for.
The third part of the report entails a global market analysis of sputtering targets and sputtered films. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented by application, material type and region, with actual data referring to the years 2009 and 2010, and estimates for 2011. Projected sputtering target revenues and total sputtered film area are also supplied, with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2011 through 2016.
Next, details of the global market analysis are covered. For each major application group or industry sector (specifically microelectronics, data storage media, advanced displays, mechanical/chemical devices, energy, optical coatings and others), BCC provides an updated summary of target materials and their function, and market data by device, material, and region.
In addition, within each industry sector, a market analysis is performed by identifying market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends, and regional trends. Projected sputtering target revenues and total sputtered film area are reported for each sector, with forecast CAGRs for the period 2011 through 2016.
In the fourth part, covering global industry structure, the report supplies a list of the leading manufacturers of sputtering targets and sputtered films together with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of sputtering target production versus consumption, always from a geographical standpoint. Detailed company profiles of the top industry players are also provided.
In the fifth part of this study, an analysis of industry competitiveness is performed. This analysis encompasses a review of global research and development activities and an outline of the most critical factors contributing to industry competitiveness.
The sixth and final part includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis with a summary of patents related to sputtering target materials, types, fabrication methods, and applications issued during the period 2007 (when BCC’s last report was published) through 2010. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, and material type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data and analyze the overall market and market segments.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC reports, professional journals, the author’s field experience, and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by analyzing 128 manufacturers of sputtering targets, accounting for at least 90% of the global market. Data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, Internet websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources, and other public sources.
Additional data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources including: company executives, managers, engineers, and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers, and users of sputtering targets and related materials and process equipment; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Secondary sources of information include:
- EDGAR – U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- European Patent Office
- Company websites
- Company annual reports
- Thomas Register
- Moody’s Directory
- S&P Industry Survey
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory
- American Ceramic Society Publications
- Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories
- Foreign Stock Exchange Listings
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC reports, and the author’s own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
Margareth Gagliardi, BCC’s chief research analyst in advanced materials, has more than 25 years of experience in the field of advanced materials, specializing in ceramic formulations, materials processing, and new product development. She has held management positions in both manufacturing and R&D within U.S. and European firms producing electronic, mechanical, chemical, and structural components. She holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and an M.S. in Ceramic Engineering.
Ms. Gagliardi has authored numerous BCC Research studies, including the following that are related to advanced materials and electronics:
- SMC070A−Paper-Thin Displays: Technologies and Global Markets, 2011
- EGY068−Supercapacitors: Technology Developments and Global Markets, 2010
- AVM014D−Ceramic Matrix Composites: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- NAN043B −Nanofibers: Technologies and Developing Markets, 2010
- AVM069A−Photocatalysts: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- SMC061B−Atomic Layer Deposition, 2010
- AVM046B−Thick Film Devices, Processes and Applications, 2010
- AVM018F−Rare Earths: Worldwide Markets, Applications, Technologies, 2009
- AVM052B −Aerogels, 2009
- AVM065A −Smart Glass: Technologies and Global Markets, 2009
- AVM047B−Chemical Mechanical Polishing (CMP) Equipment and Materials, 2008
- PLS046A−Polymer Absorbents and Adsorbents, Including SAPs and Polymer Gels, 2008
- SMC037D−Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and Markets, 2008
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place orders directly.
- Examine the Table of Contents for all BCC reports.
- Search BCC’s database by keyword, title, topic, or product code.
- Subscribe to BCC’s industry newsletters.
- Read announcements of upcoming reports and newly launched newsletters.
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be of a professional nature and is as reliable as possible at the time of publication. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice, nor should it be considered as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or from its use.