The global systemic antibiotics market was valued at $39.6 billion in 2013 and is expected to reach $41.2 billion by 2018, at a CAGR of 0.8%.
This report provides:
- An overview of the global market for systemic antibiotics.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
- Details on the factors most impacting the market, including major market growth inhibitors and catalysts.
- Discussion on important trends and products.
- Comprehensive profiles of leading companies in the industry.
GLOBAL ANTIBIOTICS MARKET BY REGION, THROUGH 2018
Source: BCC Research
Download Report Overview
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Define and measure the global antibiotics market.
- Analyze the market structure by identifying the various subsegments of the global antibiotics market.
- Forecast the revenue of the global antibiotics market and strategically analyze each submarket with respect to individual growth trends and contribution to the overall antibiotics market.
- Identify the major market trends and the factors driving or inhibiting the growth of the global pharmaceutical antibiotics market and its various submarkets.
- Analyze the opportunities in the market for the stakeholders by identifying the high-growth segments of the market.
- Profile the key players in the global antibiotics market and comprehensively analyze their core competencies and market share.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
The discovery of the first antibiotic nearly a century ago revolutionized the global healthcare industry, reducing the incidence of the morbidity and mortality due to dangerous infectious diseases. The global antibiotics market is estimated to have been $39.6 billion in 2013 and is expected to reach $41.2 billion in 2018. The global aging population and the increased prevalence of hospital-acquired infections are the primary factors driving the growth of the antibiotics market. Economic conditions and cost-containment issues have compelled North American and European antibiotic manufacturers to explore new regions, such as India, China and Brazil, for growth opportunities.
There has been a paradigm shift in the regulatory framework, causing a positive impact on the overall growth of the antibiotics market; however, the economic slowdown and the patent expiry of major antibiotics during the forecast period will limit the growth of the market. In order to keep abreast of this change, antibiotic manufacturers are using various novel technologies to reduce antibiotic resistance in order to yield novel antibiotics.
It is expected that this trend will continue with the aim of solving the current challenges and fulfilling the unmet needs of the market. North America accounted for the largest market in 2013 followed by Europe. However, Asian countries represent the fastest-growing markets due to the increasing aging population, increasing GDP rate and increasing awareness about healthcare.
The leading players in the global antibiotics market include Pfizer Inc. (U.S.), Merck and Co. (U.S.), Eli Lilly and Co. (U.S.), Sanofi-Aventis (France), AstraZeneca (U.K.), Cubist pharmaceuticals (U.S.), Johnson & Johnson (U.S.) and GlaxoSmithKline PLC (U.K.).
SCOPE OF REPORT
This research report categorizes the systemic antibiotics market into the following segments:
Antibiotics market (human application) by product:
- Second generation.
- Third generation.
- Other antibiotic classes.
Antibiotics market by application:
- Human applications.
- Veterinary applications.
- Antibiotic manufacturers.
- Distributors and suppliers of antibiotics.
- Consulting firms.
- Research and development (R&D) companies.
- Drug manufacturers.
- Drug suppliers and distributors.
- Pharmaceutical/medical associations.
- Doctors, physicians, and hospitals.
This research study used extensive secondary sources (e.g., directories, databases, white papers, annual reports, company documents and company SEC filings). Secondary research was mainly used to identify and collect information useful for the extensive technical, market-oriented and commercial study of this global market. It was also used to obtain key information about the major players, market classification and segmentation according to industry trends to the bottom-most level, geographical markets and key developments related to the market and technology. A database of key industry leaders was also prepared using secondary research. This database was then used for primary research during the course of the study.
Primary sources include industry experts such as CEOs, vice presidents, marketing directors and related key executives from various key companies and organizations in the pharmaceutical industry. All primary sources were interviewed to obtain and verify critical qualitative and quantitative information as well as to assess future prospects. Primary research was also done to understand the segment types, industry trends, key players, the competitive landscape of each type of product and key market dynamics such as drivers, restraints, opportunities, important issues, winning imperatives, key player strategies and recent trends.
After completing the market engineering process with calculations of market statistics, market size estimations, market forecasting, market crackdown and data triangulation, extensive primary research was used to gather extensive information and to verify and validate the critical numbers arrived derived. Extensive qualitative and further quantitative analyses were also done from all of the numbers derived from the completed market engineering process to list key information throughout the report.
Summarized below are the primary source and secondary source parameters/data points used in this study.
- Primary source parameters/data points.
- Growth rates: The antibiotics market will experience low growth over the next five years. The Asia-Pacific region will experience the highest growth largely driven by the growing demand from China and India.
- Market by type of product.
- Penicillins: xx%.
- Cephalosporin: xx%.
- Carbapenems: xx%.
- Beta-lactam: xx%.
- Fluoroquinolones: xx%.
- Macrolides: xx%.
- Tetracycline: xx%.
- Other antibiotic classes: xx%.
- Market by application type.
- Pharmaceutical: xx%.
- Veterinary: xx%.
- Secondary source parameters/data points.
- Market revenues: Company financials, magazines, journals, press releases.
- Company revenues: Annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, public databases.
- Qualitative information (market dynamics and market trends): Annual reports, company websites, press releases.
Neha Maliwal, a graduate in biotechnology and a postgraduate in marketing and biotechnology from the University of Pune (India), is the author this study and numerous others, including the analyses of related markets such as radiopharmaceuticals, healthcare business process outsourcing (BPO) and biotechnology instrumentation.
A special mention goes to Silva Quattrocchi, who has a master’s degree in molecular biotechnology from the University of Bologna (Italy), for her input on the antibiotics market.
BCC RESEARCH WEBSITE
The BCC Research website, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables visitors to:
- Conduct keyword searches.
- Examine the complete BCC Research catalog of market research reports and place direct orders.
- Read announcements of recently published reports.
- View titles of near-term upcoming reports.
- Sign up to receive E-mail notifications when reports are published in selected categories.
- Contact BCC Research for additional information.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and is of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal or accounting advice, nor should it be considered as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. BCC Research and the author assume no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or from its use.
Download Report Overview