The global market for drugs used in mental disorders was $70.1 billion in 2012 and $68.9 billion in 2013. This market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.3% from 2013 to 2018 and reach $77.1 billion by 2018.
This report provides:
- An overview of the market for drugs used to treat mental disorders.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of CAGRs through 2018.
- Information regarding new drug development in the mental health segment, existing products on the market, and a detailed analysis of the competitive environments.
- An examination of current major market participants in the field, positive drivers and challenges, and other information affecting drug development.
GLOBAL REVENUE OF DRUGS USED IN MENTAL DISORDERS, 2011-2018
Source: BCC Research
Download Report Overview
The objective and tenacity in conducting this study is to provide an overview of the current and future characteristics of the global market for psychiatric drugs. The awareness and better understanding of mental disorders across the globe is on the rise. Globally, approximately 120 million people have been diagnosed with mental disorders and are taking psychiatric drugs as “treatment.” The key objective is to present a comprehensive analysis and future direction of psychiatric drugs as a treatment for various mental disorders.
This report explores present and future strategies within the different classes of psychiatric drugs market, which includes antidepressants, antipsychotics, antianxiety (anxiolytics), childhood and adolescent mental disorders therapeutics, cognitive disorders therapeutics, sleep disorders therapeutics and substance abuse drugs. The growth of the market, the setbacks and the needs of the market are discussed in this report. The classifications, comparisons and usage of these types of medications in various mental disorders are discussed in this report.
A detailed analysis of the psychiatric drugs industry has been conducted. Revenues are broken down by the region and its types. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2013 through 2018.
The report also covers the prevalence of mental disorders, new developments in psychiatric drugs, regulatory aspects of these medications, and significant patents and their allotments in each category.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
The amount of mental illness medications have continued to grow over the past decade. There is a big increase in the use of powerful antipsychotic drugs across all ages in recent years. Wide research in the field of psychiatric drugs has revealed their ability to provide therapeutic treatments for various mental disorders. Pharmaceutical industries have now begun to explore the therapeutic use of psychiatric medications in their productions and processes. This has led to a continuous market for them.
R&D spending, along with increasing competition, patent expiries, new technologies and public awareness of mental disorders are directing this market. The advancements, new product launches and changing lifestyles have influenced the market to grow in the near future. This study looks at almost all the systems affected by these factors.
Acquisition strategies and collaborations by companies are also covered in this report. This study also discusses the strengths and weaknesses of each type/ technology in light of the new technologies, growing competition and changing customer needs.
CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE STUDY AND FOR WHOM
This study contributes to the areas of market growth in psychiatric drug manufacturers and users. Pharmaceutical companies, research institutes and physicians will find this study to be of interest.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study encompasses psychiatric drugs in pharmaceutical markets. BCC Research analyzes each market and its applications, regulatory environment, technology, market projections and market shares. Technological issues include the latest trends and developments. The emerging market for enzyme inhibitors includes countries like India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Canada, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this study. BCC Research conducted a comprehensive literature search, which included technical newsletters and journals, and many other sources. Data were collected through interviews and correspondence with manufacturers of psychiatric drug technical experts. Projections were based on estimates such as the current number of end users, potential end users, mergers and acquisitions, and market trends.
Many companies were surveyed to obtain data for this study. Included were manufacturers of psychiatric drugs in therapeutic categories and subsectors industries. Data were gathered from various industry sources. BCC Research spoke with officials within the industry, consulted newsletters, company literature, product literature and a host of technical articles, journals, indexes and abstracts. Exhaustive investigations of databases by key terminology were completed. In addition, data were compiled from current financial, trade and government sources.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
A team of professionals in the biotechnology industry carried out this study. The project manager was Shalini S. Dewan, who holds a master’s degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and has over 14 years of industry experience. Among the research topics she has covered are studies on compounds of potential pharmaceutical interest from ibuprofen and 2-naphthyl acetic acid. Shalini was awarded a Gold Medal by the Prime Minister of India for her work and has worked with top companies in India and in the U.S.
Some of her other reports with BCC Research are:
- Global Markets for Reagents for Chromatography
- Global Markets for Spectroscopy Equipment
- Global Markets and Technologies for Advanced Drug Delivery Systems
- Orthopedic Drugs, Implants and Devices
- Global Markets for Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment
- Pharmaceutical Regulatory Industry
- Global Markets for Media, Sera and Reagents in Biotechnology
- Global Markets for Contract Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Research and Packaging
- Global Markets for Chiral Technology
- Autacoids and Related Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets
- Contraceptives: Technologies and Global Markets
- Liver Disease Treatments: The Global Market
- Hormone Replacement Therapies and Other Hormone Therapies: Global Markets
- Cardiovascular Medicine: Diagnostics, Drugs and Devices
- Cancer Therapies: Technologies and Global Markets
- Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment
The lead consultant for this project was Dr. Kapil A. Setia, who holds a doctoral degree in life sciences. She has a number of research publications in her credit, including her thesis, which was given an award of excellence.
BCC RESEARCH ONLINE SERVICES
BCC Research offers an online information retrieval service. Its home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine the complete BCC Research catalog of market research reports and place direct orders.
- Read announcements of recently published reports.
- Register for its well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC Research product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and is of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal or accounting advice, nor should it be considered as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. BCC Research and the author assume no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or from its use.
Download Report Overview