High-Performance Ceramic Coatings: Markets and Technologies
The North American market for high–performance ceramic coatings was worth an estimated $1.42 billion in 2008. This figure is expected to fall slightly to $1.4 billion for 2009, but should rise to more than $2.0 billion by 2014 at a projected 5–year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.6%.
Thermal spray coatings dominate the market, with about 67% of total sales in 2008, projected to increase to 70% by 2014. The value of this sector was $953 million in 2009 and will reach an estimated $1.4 billion by 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.1%.
CVD accounted for the second–largest share of the market in 2008 at 15%, but is expected to drop into third place behind PVD with 11% of the market in 2014. The CVD market was worth $183.4 million in 2009 and will increase to an estimated $220.7 million in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.8%.
For more than 20 years, BCC Research has been tracking developments in the high–performance ceramic coatings market. Since the last edition of this report was published in 2007, significant changes have taken place in the ceramic coating service industry. In view of these changes, BCC decided that there is now a need to update the previous edition’s findings and conclusions.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This report is intended to:
- Provide an industry overview of ceramic coatings delivered by thermal spray, physical vapor deposition (PVD), chemical vapor deposition (CVD) and other techniques including spraying/dipping, sol gel, micro–oxidation, packed diffusion, ionic beam surface treatment and laser assisted techniques
- Determine the current size and future growth of the North American markets for ceramic thermal spray, PVD, CVD and other coatings services
- Provide a technology overview, including material types, properties and applications for ceramic coatings
- Analyze domestic competition among companies within each of the ceramic coating service segments
- Profile all North American equipment manufacturers, service providers and suppliers of consumables among ceramic thermal spray, PVD, CVD and other coating techniques
- Identify the users of ceramic coating services.
- Companies involved in developing, manufacturing and supplying advanced materials
- Companies involved in the development and manufacture of high–performance metallic and ceramic components
- Suppliers of advanced ceramic powders and components
- Manufacturers and suppliers of thermal spray, PVD, CVD and ionic beam and laser beam coating equipment
- Producers of vacuum equipment
- Suppliers of coating consumables
- Providers of coating services
- OEM suppliers
- Government agencies involved in advanced materials research
- Producers of aircraft engines and/or engine components
- Companies doing repair and refurbishing of aircraft engines
- Producers of automotive and diesel engines
- Job shops providing coating services to racing car and other auto engines
- Producers of cutting tools, bearings, textile guides and pulleys, extrusion and drawing dies, nozzles, mechanical seals and valves, and other wear–resistant parts
- Companies involved in the development and use of ceramics and high–performance ceramic coatings for aerospace and military applications
- Venture capital companies and financial institutions interested in new and attractive investments.
- An in–depth analysis of the technologies used for high–performance ceramic coatings.
- An overview of materials for high–performance ceramic coatings and their properties.
- New developments and recent patents in high–performance ceramic thermal spray, PVD, CVD and other coating techniques.
- Current and potential applications for high–performance ceramic coatings.
- Current and future market projections for ceramic coatings in all the major applications.
- Profiles of current industry players including suppliers of equipment, consumables, coating service providers and users.
- A review of the economic/market opportunities for current industry participants and new entrants.
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers
The North American market for high-performance ceramic coatings was an astimated $1.3 billion in 2006. This figure is expected to rise to nearly $1.4 billion in 2007 and $1.9 billion by 2012, a projected compound annual growth rate of 6.0% over the next five years.
Thermal spray coatings dominate the market, with about 65% of total sales. CVD accounts for the second-largest share of the market with nearly 16% in 2006, although this percentage is expected to decline slightly to 14% by 2012.
The share of PVD, the third-largest technology segment, is projected to remain rougly steady at slightly over 12% between 2006 and 2012.
The North American market for high-performance ceramic coating services in 2004 is estimated at $1.1 billion. This is expected to increase to $1.6 billion by 2009 at an annual average growth rate (AAGR) of 7.6%.
Thermal spray coatings will register an AAGR of 8.5% due to increased demand for commercial and military aircraft in the next five years led by demand in Asia
PVD and CVD will register lower growth rates (5.8% and 5.0%, respectively) over the next five years.
In 2004, about 64% of the market belonged to the coating of engine components. Cutting and turning tools contributed about 17% of the market and wear-resistant and industrial parts, 14.6%. By 2009, engine applications will rise to 68%.