Global Markets and Technologies for Smart Glass
The global market for smart glass-based products increased from nearly $1.8 billion in 2013 to $1.9 billion in 2014. This market is estimated to be valued at nearly $2.1 billion in 2015 and $3.3 billion by 2020, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4% from 2015 to 2020.
- An overview of the global markets for smart glass.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2013 and 2014, estimates for 2015, and projections of CAGRs through 2020.
- Descriptions and information on smart glass types and fabrication technologies.
- Highlights of new technological developments in smart glass manufacturing while outlining technical issues.
- Identification of important technology and market trends within each market segment.
- Examination of the market's dynamics including drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Comprehensive profiles of major players in the smart glass industry.
This report provides an updated review of smart glass technology, including materials and fabrication processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for this technology.
BCC Research determines the current market status of smart glass, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The smart glass market is based on the following segments: type, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, the market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of smart glass technology is provided, including an outline of recent events. Current and emerging applications for smart glass are also identified and described.
The second section provides a technological review of smart glass types and materials, as well as their fabrication processes. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2012, with a particular focus on emerging technologies, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis of smart glass. Global revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (i.e., smart glass type, application and region) with actual data for the years 2013 and 2014, and estimated revenues for 2015.
The analysis of current smart glass revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for smart glass within each segment, along with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2015 through 2020.
In the fourth section of the study, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of smart glass, along with a description of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographic distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to smart glass materials, fabrication processes and applications. The patents examined in this study were issued in 2013 and 2014. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and smart glass type.
Margareth Gagliardi, Chief Research Analyst in Advanced Materials for BCC Research, has more than 30 years of experience in the field of advanced materials, specializing in ceramic formulations, materials processing, and new product development. After receiving her degrees in Chemical and Ceramic Engineering, she worked in both manufacturing and R&D holding senior management positions within U.S. and European firms producing electronic, mechanical, chemical, and structural components.
She is currently focusing on market intelligence and advanced technologies analysis for organizations and research institutions that operate within a range of high-tech industries.
The global market for smart glass-based products increased from $883.1 million in 2009 to $1.2 billion in 2010, and was valued at nearly $1.6 billion in 2011. The market is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.6% from 2011 to 2016, reaching global revenues of nearly $4.2 billion in 2016.
- The global market for smart glass applications was worth $1.0 billion in 2008, a figure that is expected to reach $1.9 billion in 2013, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.8%.
- Transportation applications dominate the market, generating $889.0 million in 2008. This should reach $1.6 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 12.3%.
- Construction applications have the second largest market share, worth $138.7 million in 2008. This should increase at a CAGR of 9.5% to reach $218.3 million in 2013.