2012 Photonics Research Review
This Photonics Research Review provides:
- Analysis of the global market for OLED electronic displays and lighting devices through 2017, as well as the geographical breakdown of OLED production and consumption.
- Major PV technologies, analysis of the PV industry on a global basis, medical laser technologies and applications with the greatest commercial potential in the near to mid-term.
- Other aspects such as types of nanoscale devices, milestones in the development of nanophotonics and analysis of the high-brightness LED industry on a global basis, including manufacturing capability and consumption by various regional markets.
Light—its emission, transmission, modulation and detection—is an engine of support for many of today’s technologies. Just as electronics surged through the 20th century from the primitive days of transistors in the 1940s, the invention of the laser in the 1960s precipitated techniques that play a dominant role in the 21st century. Photonics allows new capabilities and cost savings in manufacturing, energy, medicine, and many other sectors. While U.S. photonics companies have had success in specialized markets, they have been less successful in markets requiring mass-production scale.
Economically important applications for semiconductor photonic devices include optical data recording, fiber optic telecommunications, displays and optical pumping of high-power lasers. The potential applications of photonics are virtually unlimited and include chemical synthesis, medical diagnostics, on-chip data communication, laser defense and fusion energy.
This Photonics Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2012 on the following advanced materials markets
- Organic Light Emitting Diodes (OLEDs): Technologies and Global Markets.
- Nanotechnology for Photonics: Global Markets.
- Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs) for Lighting Applications.
- Global Markets and Technologies for Medical Lasers.
- Global Markets and Technologies for Photovoltaic Systems.
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ advanced materials market research needs.