Global Markets and Technologies for Smart Glass
The global market for smart glass-based products increased from $883.1 million in 2009 to $1.2 billion in 2010, and was valued at nearly $1.6 billion in 2011. The market is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 21.6% from 2011 to 2016, reaching global revenues of nearly $4.2 billion in 2016.
This study provides an updated review of smart glass technology, including materials and fabrication processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for this technology.
BCC Research determines the current market status of smart glass, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The smart glass industry is also analyzed on a global basis from the standpoint of both manufacturing and consumption. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, BCC’s market analysis is divided into eight sections.
The first section provides a historical review of smart glass technology, including an outline of recent events. The report also offers a description of current and emerging applications for smart glass.
The second section provides a technological review of smart glass types, materials and their fabrication processes. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments and improvements since 2009, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for.
The third section entails a global market analysis of smart glass. Global revenues (i.e., sales data in millions of dollars) are presented by product type, application and region, with actual data referring to the years 2009 and 2010, and estimates for 2011.
This section concludes with a presentation of market growth trends based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. Projected revenues for smart glass are reported, with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2011 through 2016.
Next, three optional sections are offered. These sections provide a more focused discussion of the smart glass market for the three main sectors in which smart glass finds application: transportation and aerospace, construction and electronics and others. In these optional sections, additional details by sector on applications, current market breakdown, industry growth and key trends and developments are provided, in addition to a market summary for the last three years and growth projections for the next five years for each application. Also included are market data by smart glass type, material and region for each sector evaluated.
In the next section, which covers global industry structure, the report offers a list of the leading manufacturers of smart glass, along with descriptions of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of smart glass production versus consumption, always from a geographical standpoint. Detailed company profiles of the top industry players are also provided.
The final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to smart glass materials, fabrication processes and applications issued during the period from 2009 through 2011. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and smart glass type.
Margareth Gagliardi, BCC’s Chief Research Analyst in Advanced Materials, has more than 25 years of experience in the field of advanced materials, specializing in ceramic formulations, materials processing and new product development. She has held management positions in both manufacturing and R&D within U.S. and European firms producing electronic, mechanical, chemical and structural components. She holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and an M.S. in Ceramic Engineering.
Ms. Gagliardi has authored numerous BCC Research studies, including the following that are related to advanced materials, thin- and thick-film technologies, and glasses:
- SMC057B Global Markets, Technologies and Materials for Thin and Ultrathin Films, 2012
- AVM018G Rare Earths: Worldwide Markets, Applications, Technologies, 2012
- SMC037E Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and Markets, 2011
- SMC070A Paper-Thin Displays: Technologies and Global Markets, 2011
- EGY068A Supercapacitors: Technology Developments and Global Markets, 2010
- AVM014D Ceramic Matrix Composites: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- NAN043B Nanofibers: Technologies and Developing Markets, 2010
- AVM069A Photocatalysts: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- SMC061B Atomic Layer Deposition, 2010
- AVM046B Thick-Film Devices, Processes and Applications, 2010
- AVM018F Rare Earths: Worldwide Markets, Applications, Technologies, 2009
- AVM052B Aerogels, 2009
- The global market for smart glass applications was worth $1.0 billion in 2008, a figure that is expected to reach $1.9 billion in 2013, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.8%.
- Transportation applications dominate the market, generating $889.0 million in 2008. This should reach $1.6 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 12.3%.
- Construction applications have the second largest market share, worth $138.7 million in 2008. This should increase at a CAGR of 9.5% to reach $218.3 million in 2013.