The Global Market for Distributed Energy Generation
The global market for distributed generation technologies reached nearly $65.8 billion in 2015. This market is expected to increase from nearly $69.7 billion in 2016 to $109.5 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.5% for 2016-2021.
- An overview of the global market for distributed energy generation.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2015 and 2016, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2021.
- Evaluation of the existing distributed energy generation industry, focusing on producers of each major viable technology and their market potential over the next five years.
- Information on energy-related issues effecting the environment, including greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, climate change, energy cost and security, air and water pollution, and other factors.
- Analysis of the market's dynamics, including growth drivers, inhibitors, and opportunities.
- A look at how regulatory environments are impacting the market.
- Profiles of major players in the distributed energy generation industry.
The scope of this investigation includes all major viable DG technologies as well as an abbreviated assessment of potentially viable and emerging DG technologies. BCC Research analyzes each technology, determines its current market status, examines its impact on future markets and presents forecasts of growth over the next five years. Technological issues, including the latest trends, and the industry's current and projected regulatory environment are assessed and discussed.
BCC Research analyzes the global industry from both a manufacturing and an implementation point of view and examines government roles including regulatory support and requirements, feed-in tariffs and promotional incentives for various DG technologies. The report reviews the most relevant DG technologies, discusses recent trends in capacity installation and unit sales, and provides industry overviews and market assessments for each technology.
Estimated market values presented in the market chapter are based on manufacturers’ total revenues. Projected and forecasted revenue values are in constant U.S. dollars unadjusted for inflation.
Robert Eckard, PhD, has 15 years of experience working in the energy and environmental industries and runs a small industry research and technical consulting company with an emphasis on the energy, water and environmental sectors. He has provided economic analyses, market assessments and environmental analyses as well as technical energy and water reports and evaluations to state and local governments, industry organizations and both small-scale and Fortune 500 companies in the U.S., Europe, Asia and Australia.
The worldwide market for Distributed Generation (DG) technologies reached a total of about $44.4 billion in 2009 and $64.0 billion in 2010. By 2015, it is estimated at about $141 billion, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17.1% between 2010 and 2015.
- The global market for distributed generation technologies was worth $43.8 billion in 2007. This is expected to reach $51.0 billion in 2008 and $127.0 billion in 2013, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.0%.
- Fuel-based technologies represent the largest market segment, worth $34.4 billion in 2007 and an anticipated $39.6 billion in 2008. This should reach $93.4 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 18.7%.
- Renewable technologies generated $9.4 billion in 2007 and an estimated $11.4 billion in 2008. This is expected to reach $33.6 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 24.1%.