Advanced Materials and Devices for Renewable Energy: Global Markets--Focus on Europe
- The global market for advanced materials and devices used in renewable energy systems was $18.2 billion in 2010; it is projected to approach $22.3 billion in 2011 and it will further grow to $31.8 billion in 2016 increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.4%.
- Europe utilized $8.2 billion worth of advanced materials and devices to produce renewable energy systems in 2010. Utilization is expected to rise only slightly in 2011, but should approach $14.4 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 11.7% between 2011 and 2016.
- Germany alone accounted for half of the European market in 2010, a percentage that is expected to remain as large as 47% through 2016. The market is expected to approach $4 billion in 2011 and $6.7 billion by 2016 at a CAGR of 10.9% between 2011 and 2016.
Two years have passed since BCC published its last report on the global market for advanced materials and devices used in renewable-energy systems. Since then, the global market for renewable energy has continued to grow and evolve. BCC therefore considers it important to update the earlier report’s findings and conclusions about the size and structure of this important market.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The overall goal of this study is to identify and quantify the market for advanced material and device technologies used in renewable-energy systems. Specific objectives include the following:
- Identifying advanced materials and devices that are used in renewable-energy systems
- Analyzing and predicting trends in the most likely application(s) for each of these materials and devices, as the basis for developing baseline estimates of the renewable-energy-related market for advanced materials and devices
- Pinpointing new materials and devices that are likely to be introduced into renewable-energy systems in the next 5 years and their expected market impacts
- Drawing attention to manufacturers of renewable-energy systems and associated advanced materials and devices that are most likely to benefit from the trends identified above
This report is a business opportunity report intended especially for developers and vendors of advanced materials and devices that target the renewable-energy systems market. It should also be useful to vendors of renewable-energy systems interested in understanding where the market is headed with respect to advanced enabling technologies.
Other readers who will find the report’s findings and conclusions informative include:
- Members of renewable-energy trade, professional, and advocacy organizations
- Officials of government agencies and multinational organizations responsible for optimizing energy consumption and promoting the use of renewable energies
While the report is oriented to the interests and concerns of a nontechnical audience, it contains a great deal of technical information that should also be of interest to scientists and engineers working in the renewable-energy field.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
The report focuses on the global and major regional and national markets for advanced materials (e.g., polymers, elastomers, composites, high-temperature alloys, powder metals, thin films, and others) and devices (sensors and controllers, optics, etc.) used in the fabrication of the following types of renewable-energy systems:
- Solar photovoltaic
- Solar thermal
- Mini- and micro-hydro
The report does not cover biofuels or renewable-energy-storage technologies such as batteries and fuel cells in detail because they are covered in other recent BCC studies.
The report includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary
- Overall trends in renewable-energy systems
- Advanced materials and devices with current or potential applications in renewable-energy systems
- Main suppliers/buyers description
- Commercial/developmental status
- Specific renewable-energy applications
- Properties/advantages and disadvantages/competing materials or devices
- Market size, segmentation and growth trends
- 2010 global sales as well as sales in selected regional and national markets
- Market drivers
- Market projections, 2011-2016
- Industry analysis
- Number and size of firms
- Company profiles
INFORMATION SOURCES AND METHODOLOGY
The findings and conclusions of this report are based on information gathered from renewable-energy products manufacturers, advanced materials and devices vendors and renewable energy-related organizations. Interview data were combined with information gathered through an extensive review of secondary sources such as trade publications, trade associations, company literature, and online databases to produce the baseline market estimates contained in this report.
The methodologies and assumptions used to develop the market projections in this report are discussed at length in the section on Detailed Market Estimates and Projections. The report carefully documents data sources and assumptions. This way, readers can see how the market estimates were developed and, if they so desire, test the impact on the final numbers of changing assumptions such as price.
BCC ON-LINE SERVICES
BCC Research offers an online information retrieval service. Its home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine the complete BCC Research catalog of market research reports and place direct orders.
- Subscribe to any of BCC Research’s many industry newsletters.
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters.
- Register for its well-known conferences.
- Request additional information on any BCC research product.
- Take advantage of special offers.
This publication provides informative material of a professional nature. It does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice, nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide or an endorsement of any given product or company. This information is intended to be as accurate as possible at the time it was written and was undertaken on a best-effort basis. The views expressed are those of the author and do not make any warranty, express or implied, for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of the information, or for the interpretation of data or its use by others. Projections involve risks and uncertainties that include but are not limited to technical risks associated with technology development, government regulatory approvals, and access to capital. The author assumes no responsibility for any losses or damages that may result from one’s reliance on this material.
Andrew McWilliams spent more than 25 years as a consultant with Ernst & Young, McKinsey & Company and A.T. Kearny focused on manufacturing before segueing into research analysis. He has been covering myriad technology categories for BCC Research for more than 15 years. McWilliams has a BA from Princeton University and an MA from Harvard University. He has worked in more than 40 countries and he resides in the greater Boston area.
- Microscopy: The Global Market (IAS017G)
- Implosion Manufacturing: Novel Nanotech Methods for Next Generation Materials (NAN065A)
- Civil engineering Services for Public Works Infrastructure Projects: North America (ENG023A)
- Organic Foods and Beverages: Global Markets (FOD067B)
- Bionics: Technologies and Global Markets (HLC196B)
When do I get the report?
Most reports are fulfilled immediately. In some cases, it could take up to 24 hours.
In what format does this report get delivered to me?
We will send you an email with login credentials to access the report. You will also be able to download the pdf.
What are the free reports included in my purchase?
They consist of a collection of current reports from various partner publishers scanning multiple industries.
What is the difference between BCC Research and BCC Publishing?
BCC Research curates thousands of reports from different sources and provides access to this content to our clients. BCC Publishing is the publication arm of BCC Research (one of several publishers in our portal).
What reports do I get 'discounts' on with my purchase?
All reports. BCC Publishing reports will be available for a 50% discount. All other partner publishers are also available at deeply discounted rates.
Where are you located?
Wellesley Massachusetts, just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
How long has BCC Research been around?
We are approaching our 50 year anniversary in 2021!
What if I want you to invoice me for payment via Purchase Order?
Simply choose Pay by Purchase Order when you are checking out. We will connect with you via email to set up your order.
What if I have a question about your reports?
Call us, email us, or chat with us! We encourage your questions and feedback. We have a research concierge team available at all times, and included in every purchase, to help our customers find the research they need-when they need it.
Can I share this report with my team?
Absolutely yes, with the purchase of additional user licenses.
Can I use your research in my presentation?
Absolutely yes, so long as the publisher is properly cited.