Enabling Technologies for the Smart Grid
The U.S. market for smart grid technologies was worth about $41.6 billion in 2012. The market is projected to decline to $35.4 billion in 2013 due to a temporary disruption of wind turbine sales, but it should rise again to $68.7 billion by 2018, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.2% from 2013 to 2018.
- An overview of the US market for smart grid technology, with coverage of the evolution and inspiration through biomimetics and bioinspired designs.
- Analyses of US market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013 and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
- Discussion of techniques and properties such as two-way integrated communications, sensing and measurement, and advanced components.
- Examination of advanced control that enables rapid diagnosis and precise solutions for specific grid disruptions or outages.
- A summary of results of targeted interviews with producers and users of smart grid technologies.
The study covers the major enabling technologies for the smart grid, including:
- Communications technologies
- Sensing and measurement technologies
- Advanced components
- Control technologies
- Interface and decision support technologies.
The study format includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary
- Benefits of smart grids
- Smart grid “roadmap”
- Policy, regulatory, and economic environment for the transition to a smart grid
- Enabling technologies for the smart grid
- Developers and suppliers of smart grid–enabling technologies
- Baseline (2012) and projected market for smart grid technologies through 2018
- Patent analysis.
Andrew McWilliams spent more than 25 years as a consultant with Ernst & Young, McKinsey & Company and A.T. Kearny focused on manufacturing before segueing into research analysis. He has been covering myriad technology categories for BCC Research for more than 15 years. McWilliams has a BA from Princeton University and an MA from Harvard University. He has worked in more than 40 countries and he resides in the greater Boston area.
- Microscopy: The Global Market (IAS017G)
- Implosion Manufacturing: Novel Nanotech Methods for Next Generation Materials (NAN065A)
- Civil engineering Services for Public Works Infrastructure Projects: North America (ENG023A)
- Organic Foods and Beverages: Global Markets (FOD067B)
- Bionics: Technologies and Global Markets (HLC196B)
BCC estimates that the U.S. market for smart grid technologies was worth about $23.6 billion in 2010. The market is projected to increase to nearly $23.7 billion in 2011 and $33.1 billion by 2016, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.9% over the next 5 years.
- The U.S. market for smart grid technologies was worth $15.3 billion in 2008. This is expected to increase to $17.3 billion in 2009 and $37.4 billion in 2014, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6%.
- Distributed energy generation and storage technologies generated $10.1 billion in 2008 and an estimated $11.3 billion in 2009. This segment should reach $20.1 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 12.2%.
- Sensing, measurement and control technologies were worth almost $4 billion in 2008 and will reach an estimated $4.4 billion in 2009. This should increase at a CAGR of 26% to reach $14 billion in 2014.
When do I get the report?
Most reports are fulfilled immediately. In some cases, it could take up to 24 hours.
In what format does this report get delivered to me?
We will send you an email with login credentials to access the report. You will also be able to download the pdf.
What are the free reports included in my purchase?
They consist of a collection of current reports from various partner publishers scanning multiple industries.
What is the difference between BCC Research and BCC Publishing?
BCC Research curates thousands of reports from different sources and provides access to this content to our clients. BCC Publishing is the publication arm of BCC Research (one of several publishers in our portal).
What reports do I get 'discounts' on with my purchase?
All reports. BCC Publishing reports will be available for a 50% discount. All other partner publishers are also available at deeply discounted rates.
Where are you located?
Wellesley Massachusetts, just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
How long has BCC Research been around?
We are approaching our 50 year anniversary in 2021!
What if I want you to invoice me for payment via Purchase Order?
Simply choose Pay by Purchase Order when you are checking out. We will connect with you via email to set up your order.
What if I have a question about your reports?
Call us, email us, or chat with us! We encourage your questions and feedback. We have a research concierge team available at all times, and included in every purchase, to help our customers find the research they need-when they need it.
Can I share this report with my team?
Absolutely yes, with the purchase of additional user licenses.
Can I use your research in my presentation?
Absolutely yes, so long as the publisher is properly cited.