2013 Nanotechnology Research Review
- The global market for picoprojectors was valued at $491.4 million in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $776.1 million in 2013 and nearly $5 billion by 2018, after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 44.9%.
- Revenues for the global laser market reached nearly $2.4 billion in 2012 and are expected to reach nearly $2.6 billion in 2013. The market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% between 2013 and 2018 and reach $3.4 billion by 2018.
- The global market for optical coherence tomography (OCT) grew from $580.8 million in 2011 to $645.4 million in 2012 and is predicted to increase to nearly $1.1 billion by 2017, at a CAGR of 10.4% from 2012 to 2017.
ABOUT BCC RESEARCH REVIEWS
Research Reviews from BCC Research provide market professionals with concise market coverage within a specific research category. These Research Reviews include portions of several market research reports that were published in 2013, and are an efficient way for market professionals to keep up with the general market developments of 2013.
Please note that page references in the text are to pages in the original, complete report, and do not reflect the actual page numbers in this Research Review.
This 2013 Photonics Research Review includes excerpts from the following reports:
- NAN033B Nanomagnetics: Materials, Devices and Markets.
- NAN043C Global Markets and Technologies for Nanofibers.
- NAN044B Nanotechnology in Energy Applications.
- NAN046B Global Markets and Technologies for Molecular, Nanoscale and Atomic imaging.
- AVM075C Graphene: Technologies, Applications and Markets.
We encourage you to obtain and benefit from the full market research reports that are excerpted in this Research Review.
BCC Research looks forward to serving your market intelligence needs in the future.
Kevin R. Fitzgerald
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
THIS NANOTECHNOLOGY RESEARCH REVIEW PROVIDES:
- Overview of the market for nanoparticles in the life sciences on a global basis including descriiption of leading and emerging drug products, major players in nanoparticle drug delivery field and methods of nanoparticle formation.
- Overview of global markets for nanocomposites, nanoparticles, nanoclays and nanotubes including information on types of nanocomposites, their properties and applications.
- Overview of global markets and technologies for carbon nanotubes (CNTs) including information on history of nanotubes, properties of CNTs and applications of CNTs.
- The global market for nanostructured products used in water treatment was worth an estimated $1.4 billion in 2010 and will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.7% during the next 5 years to reach a value of $2.2 billion in 2015.
- The global market for quantum dots (QDs) was worth an estimated $67 million in 2010 and $103 million in 2011. This market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 59.3%, reaching $666 million by 2015, a tenfold increase.
- Global consumption of nanocomposites was an estimated 138,389 metric tons with a value of $920 million in 2011. By 2016, the market should amount to 333,043 metric tons and $2.4 billion, a five year CAGR of 19.2% in unit terms and 20.9% in value terms.
The global market for carbon nanotube grades—comprising commodity (MWNTs) and specialty single- walled carbon nanotubes (SWNTs), few-walled carbon nanotubes (FWNTs)—generated an estimated $100 million in revenues in 2009. This market is projected to grow over the next 5 years at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 58.9%, reaching more than $1 billion by 2014. The CNT commodity grade will provide by far the biggest technology push driven especially by polymer composites.
BCC estimates the global market for nanotechnology products at about $15.7 billion in 2010, growing to approximately $26.7 billion by 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.1% from 2010 through 2015. This figure includes well-established commercial nanomaterials applications, such as nanoparticle-based sunscreen products and nanocatalyst thin films for catalytic converters, as well as new technologies, such as nano-thin film solar cells, nanolithographic tools, and nanoscale electronic memory.
Sales of nanofiber-based products are projected to continue growing at a very healthy rate during the next 5 years, driven by further penetration of nanofibers in the above sectors and by various newer, high-tech applications that are entering mainstream commercialization in other fields such as the consumer and medical/biological/ pharmaceutical sectors. The total market for nanofiber products is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 34.3% through 2015, and at a 37.2% CAGR from 2015 through 2020, reaching nearly $2.2 billion in total revenues by 2020.
- An extensive patent analysis.
- An in-depth assessment of the unfolding commercial markets.
- Progress in the synthesis and commercial scale-up of CNTs.
- Extended compilation of the producers and end users dictating market development.
- A 5-year projected market analysis of the emerging CNT industry.