Light-emitting Diodes for Lighting Applications
- Global shipments of high-brightness LEDs reached $5.6 billion in 2008. The market dipped slightly to $5.4 billion in 2009, but is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.7% through 2014 to $8.2 billion.
- LED shipments for the automotive market declined from $849.5 million in 2008 to $766.6 million in 2009. Shipments of LEDs in the automotive sector will reach $1.3 billion annually by 2014, a 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.5%.
- Display backlighting has been and still is a growing market for LEDs. Shipments reached $933 million in 2009 and are anticipated to rise to $1.5 billion by 2014, a 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.1%.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
In this study, the goal of BCC Research is to determine the current status of the market for solid-state lighting equipment in the form of light-emitting diodes (LEDs), and to assess their growth potential from 2008 to 2009 and then to 2014. The types of LEDs and their value for various consumer and industrial applications are of particular interest.
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place orders
- Subscribe to BCC’s industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers.
Shipments of high-brightness light emitting diodes reached $4.8 billion in 2005. They are projected to grow at a 13.1% rate to $6.5 billion in 2006 and then increase at a 10.3% rate to reach $8.8 billion through 2011.
The mobile device LED market, the largest at this time, saw shipments of $2.8 billion in 2005. They will grow at a 9.6% rate to reach $3 billion by 2006 and then level off, as mobile devices experience some market saturation, to increase at a 5.9% rate to amount to $4.1 billion in 2011.
Display backlighting is a growing market for LEDs. Shipments reached $513 million in 2005 and will grow at a 45% rate to adjust to larger screens and amount to $744 million by 2006, and continue at a 21.6% rate to reach $1.9 billion by 2011.
HB-LED shipments will rise at an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 18.5% to reach $3.3 billion by 2007.
Automotive market HB-LEDs will average 33% annual growth through 2007.
Display backlighting will grow at an AAGR of 24% to reach $1.5 billion in 2007.
HB-LED traffic light units will increase to 26.7 million by 2007.