2012 Biotechnology Research Review
- A comprehensive analysis of the agricultural biotechnology industry, with an emphasis on products and technologies that are commercially important in the 2012 to 2017 time period.
- An in-depth look at the demand for biosimilar drugs that have entered the market worldwide and forecasts the growth prospects for these products.
- A detailed analysis of the kinase inhibitors industry structure has been conducted. Revenues are broken down by region. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2011 through 2016.
In 2012, there were about 1.6 million people in the U.S. working in bioscience-based jobs, who took home an average salary in the mid-$80,000s. The biotech industry’s wages are about 80% higher than the average private sector job in the U.S., and while biotech saw a small decline in the last five years, job losses weren’t as bad as in industries like aerospace or software.
Venture capital flow into biotech has steadily risen during the last four or five years, and in the preceding year there were 35 big exits in biotech and medical devices. Taken together, those 35 big deals in the life sciences generated $8.8 billion in up-front returns to investors. That figure inflates to $12.7 billion when counting the future milestone payments, though there is nothing guaranteed except for optimism. This has helped to offset some of the reduction in NIH direct spending, post financial crisis. Overall, the biotech sector remains vibrant and positive.
This Biotechnology Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC was founded in 1971. It includes highlights from the following reports published in 2012:
- Global Markets for Media, Sera and Reagents in Biotechnology.
- DNA Sequencing: Emerging Technologies and Applications.
- Antibody Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets.
- Biosimilars: Global Markets.
- Kinase Inhibitors: Global Markets.
- Nanoparticles in Biotechnology, Drug Development and Drug Delivery.
- Drug Discovery Technologies.
- Agricultural Biotechnology: Emerging Technologies and Global Markets.
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ biotechnology market research needs.
- The global market for sample preparation reagents and products used in life science research was $2.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to increase to $3.6 billion by 2011. The market is forecast to reach $8.4 billion by 2016, increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.8%.
- The global biobanking market was $141 billion in 2010 and is projected to expand by 30% between 2010 and 2015, increasing at a CAGR of 5.4%.
- The global RNAi drug delivery market was worth $7 billion in 2010 and is expected to grow to nearly $24.1 billion by 2015, increasing at a five-year CAGR of 27.9%.
Global sales of chiral technology products in 2008 were $4.3 billion and with 3.3% growth, the sales reached $4.5 billion in 2009. This market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.8% and reach $5.1 billion by 2014. The chiral technology market is led by chiral synthesis products with more than 80% share.
BCC Research report, Chiral Technology: Global Markets
The market for innovative biological therapies in cancer treatment will nearly double in the next 5 years, eventually exceeding $50 billion in the next 5 to 10 years. The biotherapy segment has recorded a 34.1% annual growth rate since 2004, and is forecast to almost double by 2014. Recent analysis reveals that biologic drugs will account for about 50% of the top 100 drugs in 2014.
BCC Research report, Biological Therapies for Cancer: Technologies and Global Markets
A period of dynamic growth in the therapeutic vaccines market is expected with the rollout of some eight products before 2015, not only to treat cancer but to address nicotine addiction as well. The total worldwide market for therapeutic vaccines is expected to reach $137 million in 2010. With increased product introductions, this market is expected to reach nearly $3.1 billion in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of more than 117%.
BCC Research report, Therapeutic Vaccines: The Global Market