2018 Biotechnology Research Review
- The global market for cancer cell analysis should reach $10.8 billion by 2023 from $7.4 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for genetic modification therapies should grow from $2.3 billion in 2018 to reach $17.4 billion by 2023, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 49.9% during the forecast period of 2018-2023.
- The global immunohistochemistry market totaled $1.6 billion in 2017 and is estimated to reach $2.3 billion by 2022, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the period of 2017-2022.
Several significant developments have aided and accelerated development and growth of markets in biotechnology, in the period of review. Notable recent advancements in biotechnology are CRISPR, Spheroids for drug development, Quantitative Cell Based Assay using high content analysis platform and Luciferase based high-throughput screening assay. Such technologies assure the wide adoption of cell line technologies for drug development, simplify the gene editing process making it cost-effective.
Companies operating in cell line market are investing huge amount in setting up manufacturing units with advanced state of art facility and expanded production facilities.
Gene therapy technology has opened new avenues which places emphasis on curing disease that do not have an effective therapeutic availability. Johnson & Johnson, together with the University of Pennsylvania, is developing a third-generation AAV-based gene therapy for Alzheimer’s disease. The goal is to use AAV viral delivery to initiate the expression of therapeutic anti-Alzheimer’s antibodies in the brain. The research represents a novel way to get biologics into the brain to treat Alzheimer’s disease and other brain diseases. This is expected to pave way for further innovations in AAV-based gene therapy.
This Biotechnology Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC Research was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2018 on the following biotech markets:
- BIO159A Genetic Modification Therapies Clinical Applications.
- BIO161A Biomarker Deals: Terms, Value and Trends, 2008-2018.
- BIO169A Biomarker Deals: Terms, Value and Trends, 2008-2018.
- BIO177A Cancer Cell Analysis, Instruments, Consumables and Reagents.
- BIO146B Genome Editing: Technologies and Global Markets.
- BIO174A Synthetic (Cultured) Meat: Global Market.
We hope you find this Research Review valuable. We encourage you to obtain and benefit from the full market research reports that are excerpted in this Research Review. BCC Research looks forward to serving your market intelligence needs in the future.
BCC Research Staff
BCC Research Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
- The global market for bioengineered protein drugs was valued at $151.9 billion in 2013, increasing to about $157 billion in 2014. The market is further expected to grow to about $222.7 billion in 2019, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.2% from 2014 through 2019.
- The global synthetic biology market reached nearly $2.1 billion in 2012 and $2.7 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to $11.8 billion in 2018 with a CAGR of 34.4% over the five-year period from 2013 to 2018.
- The global market for cancer profiling technologies reached $26.1 billion in 2012 and nearly $30.1 billion in 2013. This market is expected to reach $54.8 billion in 2018, a CAGR of 12.8% over the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
- The global RNAi research tool and reagent, therapeutic, diagnostic, and agriculture market was valued at $210.2 million in 2012. The RNAi market is expected to reach $220.3 million in 2013 and $290 million by 2018, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.7% for the period of 2013 to 2018.
- The next generation sequencing market reached $231.7 million in 2012. The market is expected to reach $510.7 million in 2013 and $7.6 billion in 2018 for a CAGR of 71.6%.
- The global bioinformatics market was valued at nearly $2.8 billion in 2011, nearly $3.2 billion in 2012, and is forecast to grow to nearly $7.5 billion by 2017 after increasing at a CAGR of 18.7%.
- A comprehensive analysis of the agricultural biotechnology industry, with an emphasis on products and technologies that are commercially important in the 2012 to 2017 time period.
- An in-depth look at the demand for biosimilar drugs that have entered the market worldwide and forecasts the growth prospects for these products.
- A detailed analysis of the kinase inhibitors industry structure has been conducted. Revenues are broken down by region. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2011 through 2016.
- The global market for sample preparation reagents and products used in life science research was $2.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to increase to $3.6 billion by 2011. The market is forecast to reach $8.4 billion by 2016, increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.8%.
- The global biobanking market was $141 billion in 2010 and is projected to expand by 30% between 2010 and 2015, increasing at a CAGR of 5.4%.
- The global RNAi drug delivery market was worth $7 billion in 2010 and is expected to grow to nearly $24.1 billion by 2015, increasing at a five-year CAGR of 27.9%.
Global sales of chiral technology products in 2008 were $4.3 billion and with 3.3% growth, the sales reached $4.5 billion in 2009. This market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.8% and reach $5.1 billion by 2014. The chiral technology market is led by chiral synthesis products with more than 80% share.
BCC Research report, Chiral Technology: Global Markets
The market for innovative biological therapies in cancer treatment will nearly double in the next 5 years, eventually exceeding $50 billion in the next 5 to 10 years. The biotherapy segment has recorded a 34.1% annual growth rate since 2004, and is forecast to almost double by 2014. Recent analysis reveals that biologic drugs will account for about 50% of the top 100 drugs in 2014.
BCC Research report, Biological Therapies for Cancer: Technologies and Global Markets
A period of dynamic growth in the therapeutic vaccines market is expected with the rollout of some eight products before 2015, not only to treat cancer but to address nicotine addiction as well. The total worldwide market for therapeutic vaccines is expected to reach $137 million in 2010. With increased product introductions, this market is expected to reach nearly $3.1 billion in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of more than 117%.
BCC Research report, Therapeutic Vaccines: The Global Market