2021 Biotechnology Research Review
- The global market for exosome diagnostics and therapeutics should grow from $97.8 million in 2021 to $512.6 million by 2026, at compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 39.3% for the period of 2021-2026.
- The global market for bioinformatics should grow from $16.1 billion in 2020 to $24.1 billion by 2025 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.4% for the period of 2020-2025.
- The global market for cell and gene therapy should grow from $4.1 billion in 2021 to $17.4 billion by 2026 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 33.6% for the period of 2021-2026.
There have been a number of significant developments that has accelerated growth across the biotechnology market. These notable recent advancements include, mRNA therapeutics, CRISPR technology, biosensors and bioprinting technologies, cancer stem cell research, alongside cell and gene therapy and DNA vaccines. These advancements ensure the wide adoption of cell line technologies that support drug development and the simplification of the gene editing process, making it more cost effective long-term.
Advancement in molecular biology is supporting the delivery of molecular and computational tools and software. Synthetic biology is another field of application that promotes the manufacturing of and/or modification of genetic material in living cells.
Unlike other industries, the biotech industry has witnessed high growth throughout the pandemic. The search for diagnostic treatment methods for COVID-19 has forced governments, the media and the general public alike to focus on science and medicine, strengthening the idea that biotech acquisitions and partnerships are solid investments. Companies operating in the cell line market are now investing large amounts, enabling the development of manufacturing units with advanced, state of the art resources and expanded facilities. At the same time, genetic sequencing technology is advancing at a great pace, especially across the healthcare sector in the diagnosis of various cancers and strains of Coronavirus.
In 2019 and 2020, the biotech industry saw double digit annual growth due to fundraising from venture capitals, partnerships, co-development and joint ventures. However, the sector does continuous challenging relating to marketing, funding for innovation and pricing pressures from government organizations. Development costs are also a challenge, and often the most critical for manufacturers. While a simple cholesterol drug may cost $5 per day (approximately $1,825 per annum), a biotech drug may cost around $20,000 or more a year.
In 2019, gene therapy and cell biology technologies were successfully developed, however, this came at a high cost. For example, Zolgensma, a viral vector-based gene therapy for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy costs around $5 million. It is important for manufacturers to figure out how to balance the cost of innovation that proves most challenging. Getting the pricing right, and the costs involved with getting the products to market are also vital challenges. Innovation may take several years to move from a clinical trial phase to market launch, and investors may face disappointment and falling stock if expectations are not managed from the offset.
This Biotechnology Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC Research was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2021 on the following biotech markets:
- BIO149D Exosome Diagnostics and Therapeutics: Global Markets
- BIO051F Bioinformatics: Technologies and Global Markets
- BIO225A Global Cell and Gene Therapy Market
- BIO126D Next-generation Sequencing: Emerging Clinical Applications and Global Markets
- BIO083D Life Science Tools and Reagents: Global Markets
- BIO045H Global DNA Sequencing: Research, Applied and Clinical Markets
- BIO212A mRNA: Therapeutics and Global Markets
- BIO158B Cancer Stem Cells: Technologies and Global Markets
- BIO150D Liquid Biopsy Research Tools, Services and Diagnostics: Global Markets
- BIO135D Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells: Global Markets
- BIO141C Global Markets for Research Antibodies
- BIO211A Cell Therapy Biomanufacturing: Global Markets
We hope you find this Research Review valuable. We encourage you to obtain and benefit from the full market research reports that are excerpted in this Research Review. BCC Research looks forward to serving your market intelligence needs in the future.
BCC Publishing staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials, and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
|Base year considered||2020|
|Forecast period considered||2021-2026|
|Base year market size||$70.7 million|
|Market size forecast||$512.6 million|
|Growth rate||CAGR of 39.3% from 2021 to 2026|
|Units considered||$ Millions|
|Segments covered||Application, End User, Region|
|Key Market Drivers||
- The global market for cancer profiling technologies should grow from $45.2 billion in 2018 to $90.6 billion by 2023, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for cell harvesting should grow from $885 million in 2018 to $1.5 billion by 2023, with a CAGR of 11.3% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for exosome diagnostics and therapeutics should grow from $34.7 million in 2018 to $186.2 million by 2023, with a CAGR of 39.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for cancer cell analysis should reach $10.8 billion by 2023 from $7.4 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for genetic modification therapies should grow from $2.3 billion in 2018 to reach $17.4 billion by 2023, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 49.9% during the forecast period of 2018-2023.
- The global immunohistochemistry market totaled $1.6 billion in 2017 and is estimated to reach $2.3 billion by 2022, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the period of 2017-2022.
- The global market for bioengineered protein drugs was valued at $151.9 billion in 2013, increasing to about $157 billion in 2014. The market is further expected to grow to about $222.7 billion in 2019, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.2% from 2014 through 2019.
- The global synthetic biology market reached nearly $2.1 billion in 2012 and $2.7 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to $11.8 billion in 2018 with a CAGR of 34.4% over the five-year period from 2013 to 2018.
- The global market for cancer profiling technologies reached $26.1 billion in 2012 and nearly $30.1 billion in 2013. This market is expected to reach $54.8 billion in 2018, a CAGR of 12.8% over the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
- The global RNAi research tool and reagent, therapeutic, diagnostic, and agriculture market was valued at $210.2 million in 2012. The RNAi market is expected to reach $220.3 million in 2013 and $290 million by 2018, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.7% for the period of 2013 to 2018.
- The next generation sequencing market reached $231.7 million in 2012. The market is expected to reach $510.7 million in 2013 and $7.6 billion in 2018 for a CAGR of 71.6%.
- The global bioinformatics market was valued at nearly $2.8 billion in 2011, nearly $3.2 billion in 2012, and is forecast to grow to nearly $7.5 billion by 2017 after increasing at a CAGR of 18.7%.
- A comprehensive analysis of the agricultural biotechnology industry, with an emphasis on products and technologies that are commercially important in the 2012 to 2017 time period.
- An in-depth look at the demand for biosimilar drugs that have entered the market worldwide and forecasts the growth prospects for these products.
- A detailed analysis of the kinase inhibitors industry structure has been conducted. Revenues are broken down by region. Sales figures are estimated for the five-year period from 2011 through 2016.
- The global market for sample preparation reagents and products used in life science research was $2.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to increase to $3.6 billion by 2011. The market is forecast to reach $8.4 billion by 2016, increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.8%.
- The global biobanking market was $141 billion in 2010 and is projected to expand by 30% between 2010 and 2015, increasing at a CAGR of 5.4%.
- The global RNAi drug delivery market was worth $7 billion in 2010 and is expected to grow to nearly $24.1 billion by 2015, increasing at a five-year CAGR of 27.9%.
Global sales of chiral technology products in 2008 were $4.3 billion and with 3.3% growth, the sales reached $4.5 billion in 2009. This market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.8% and reach $5.1 billion by 2014. The chiral technology market is led by chiral synthesis products with more than 80% share.
BCC Research report, Chiral Technology: Global Markets
The market for innovative biological therapies in cancer treatment will nearly double in the next 5 years, eventually exceeding $50 billion in the next 5 to 10 years. The biotherapy segment has recorded a 34.1% annual growth rate since 2004, and is forecast to almost double by 2014. Recent analysis reveals that biologic drugs will account for about 50% of the top 100 drugs in 2014.
BCC Research report, Biological Therapies for Cancer: Technologies and Global Markets
A period of dynamic growth in the therapeutic vaccines market is expected with the rollout of some eight products before 2015, not only to treat cancer but to address nicotine addiction as well. The total worldwide market for therapeutic vaccines is expected to reach $137 million in 2010. With increased product introductions, this market is expected to reach nearly $3.1 billion in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of more than 117%.
BCC Research report, Therapeutic Vaccines: The Global Market