The Global Market for Advanced Airport Technologies
BCC Research estimates the global market for advanced airport technologies to have been just over $9 billion in 2012. The market should exceed $9.2 billion in 2013 and $11.1 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.8% over the next five years.
- An overview of the global market for advanced airport technologies.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
- Discussion concerning technological, regulatory, security, and economic trends that are effecting the market.
- A look at developments impacting key airport technology systems such as air and ground traffic management; baggage claim and handling; security, fire, and emergency systems; and many others.
The report covers the worldwide market for electronic, and electro-optical, and other modern technologies used in airports such as:
- Air/ground traffic management and control systems
- Landing aids, guidance, and lighting
- Airport communications
- Digital information display solutions
- Airport management software
- Security, fire protection, and emergency services
- Passenger and baggage handling and control
- Car parking systems.
This report covers only technologies and equipment that are based at the airport or nearby. The emphasis is on civil aviation; the military market is not covered in detail.
The study format includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary
- Trends in the global airport industry that affect the demand for airport technologies
- Advanced airport technologies that are in use or under development
- Global market size, major segments, and growth trends
- Key patents
- Vendor profiles.
Andrew McWilliams spent more than 25 years as a consultant with Ernst & Young, McKinsey & Company and A.T. Kearny focused on manufacturing before segueing into research analysis. He has been covering myriad technology categories for BCC Research for more than 15 years. McWilliams has a BA from Princeton University and an MA from Harvard University. He has worked in more than 40 countries and he resides in the greater Boston area.
BCC estimates the global market for advanced airport technologies at nearly $8.2 billion in 2009. BCC expects the market to approach $10.3 billion in 2010 and exceed $13.7 billion in 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% over the next 5 years.
Security, fire and emergency services were the largest segment of the market in 2009, with a 22% share. However, this segment will experience a negative compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -7.1% from $2.9 billion in 2010 to $2 billion in 2015.
Segments that are growing faster than the market as a whole include communications, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.9% over the 5-year forecast period, from $1.5 billion in 2010 to $2.6 billion in 2015.
The global market for electronic, electro-optical, and other modern technologies used in airports to have been around $8.9 billion in 2006. BCC expects the market to reach $9.1 billion in 2007 and $13.1 billion in 2012 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.5% over the next 5 years.
Communications systems are the largest segment of the market with a 23% share in both 2006 and 2012. Other major market segments in 2006 include passenger/ baggage/cargo handling and control (18%); security/fire/emergency services (17%); and air/ground traffic control (16%).
Digital signage systems are the fastest-growing segment with a CAGR of 20% over the next 5 years, increasing their market share from 9% in 2006 to a projected 17% in 2012. Other segments that are growing faster than the market as a whole include communications with a CAGR of 11.9% and air/ground traffic control (11.7%).