The Global Market for Advanced Airport Technologies
BCC Research estimates the global market for advanced airport technologies to have been just over $9 billion in 2012. The market should exceed $9.2 billion in 2013 and $11.1 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.8% over the next five years.
- An overview of the global market for advanced airport technologies.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018.
- Discussion concerning technological, regulatory, security, and economic trends that are effecting the market.
- A look at developments impacting key airport technology systems such as air and ground traffic management; baggage claim and handling; security, fire, and emergency systems; and many others.
The report covers the worldwide market for electronic, and electro-optical, and other modern technologies used in airports such as:
- Air/ground traffic management and control systems
- Landing aids, guidance, and lighting
- Airport communications
- Digital information display solutions
- Airport management software
- Security, fire protection, and emergency services
- Passenger and baggage handling and control
- Car parking systems.
This report covers only technologies and equipment that are based at the airport or nearby. The emphasis is on civil aviation; the military market is not covered in detail.
The study format includes the following major elements:
- Executive summary
- Trends in the global airport industry that affect the demand for airport technologies
- Advanced airport technologies that are in use or under development
- Global market size, major segments, and growth trends
- Key patents
- Vendor profiles.
Andrew McWilliams spent more than 25 years as a consultant with Ernst & Young, McKinsey & Company and A.T. Kearny focused on manufacturing before segueing into research analysis. He has been covering myriad technology categories for BCC Research for more than 15 years. McWilliams has a BA from Princeton University and an MA from Harvard University. He has worked in more than 40 countries and he resides in the greater Boston area.
- Global Hydrogen Economy: Merchant Hydrogen and Hydrogen Purification Technologies (EGY055E)
- Composite Fabrication Technologies: Global Markets to 2023 (MFG054A)
- Global Markets and Technologies for Food Safety Testing (FOD011K)
- Advanced Ceramics and Nanoceramic Powders (NAN015J)
- The Global Market for Membrane Microfiltration (MST028G)
BCC estimates the global market for advanced airport technologies at nearly $8.2 billion in 2009. BCC expects the market to approach $10.3 billion in 2010 and exceed $13.7 billion in 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% over the next 5 years.
Security, fire and emergency services were the largest segment of the market in 2009, with a 22% share. However, this segment will experience a negative compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -7.1% from $2.9 billion in 2010 to $2 billion in 2015.
Segments that are growing faster than the market as a whole include communications, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.9% over the 5-year forecast period, from $1.5 billion in 2010 to $2.6 billion in 2015.
The global market for electronic, electro-optical, and other modern technologies used in airports to have been around $8.9 billion in 2006. BCC expects the market to reach $9.1 billion in 2007 and $13.1 billion in 2012 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.5% over the next 5 years.
Communications systems are the largest segment of the market with a 23% share in both 2006 and 2012. Other major market segments in 2006 include passenger/ baggage/cargo handling and control (18%); security/fire/emergency services (17%); and air/ground traffic control (16%).
Digital signage systems are the fastest-growing segment with a CAGR of 20% over the next 5 years, increasing their market share from 9% in 2006 to a projected 17% in 2012. Other segments that are growing faster than the market as a whole include communications with a CAGR of 11.9% and air/ground traffic control (11.7%).