Advanced Drug Delivery Systems: Technologies and Global Markets
The global market for drug delivery systems in 2010 was $131.6 billion and is expected to increase to $137.8 billion by the end of 2011. The market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5% and reach nearly $175.6 billion by 2016.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The scope of this study encompasses the drug delivery markets by various types. BCC analyzes each market by its category with its applications in different regions of the world. It also analyzes the market leaders, the regulatory environment, technology involved, market projections, and market share. Technological issues include the latest trends and developments.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
The study has been carried out by a team of professionals in the biotechnology industry. The project manager for this project is Shalini S. Dewan, who holds a master’s degree in Pharmaceutical Chemistry and has more than 14 years of industry experience. Among the research topics she has covered are studies on compounds of potential pharmaceutical interest from ibuprofen to 2-naphthyl acetic acid. Dewan was awarded a Gold Medal by the Prime Minister of India for her work and has worked with top companies in India and in the U.S. Some of her other reports with BCC are Reagents of Chromatography; Spectroscopy, an Enduring Market; Advanced Drug Delivery Systems: Technologies and Global Markets; Orthopedic Drugs, Implants and Devices; Medical Imaging Reagents and Analysis Equipment; Pharmaceutical Regulatory Industry; The Dynamic Media, Sera and Reagent Market in Biotechnology; Contract Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Research and Packaging: Global Markets; Chiral Technology: Global Markets; Autacoids and Related Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets; Contraceptives: Technologies and Global Markets; Liver Disease Treatments: The Global Market; Hormone Replacement Therapies and Other Hormone Therapies: Global Markets; Cardiovascular Medicine: Diagnostics, Drugs and Devices; and Cancer Therapies: Technologies and Global Markets.
The lead consultant for this project was Dr. Kapil A. Setia, who holds a doctoral degree in life sciences. She has a number of research publications to her credit, including her thesis on Studies on Phenotypic Variation, Clonal Propagation and Phyto-chemistry of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.).
- The global market for advanced drug delivery systems amounted to $134.3 billion in 2008, and was projected to increase to $139 billion in 2009. The estimate for 2014 is $196.4 billion, for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.2% in the 5-year period.
- The largest segment of the market is targeted drug delivery, which reached $50.9 billion in 2009 and is expected to increase to $80.2 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 9.5%.
- Sustained-release products have the second-largest market share, with estimated sales of $36.1 billion in 2009 and $45.8 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 4.9%.
The U.S. sales of advanced drug delivery systems were over $54.2 billion in 2004. In 2005 they reached $64.1 billion and will eventually grow to $74.4 billion by the end of 2006. Over 5 years, this market will continue to grow at an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 15.6% to reach $153.5 billion by 2011.
The largest sector of the market consists of sustained release/implants/transdermal drug delivery systems, with more than 50% of the total U.S. market in 2005. Through the forecast period this sector will gradually give way to targeted drug delivery systems, which should control almost 48% of the market in 2011.
Targeted drug delivery has the highest growth rate, with a 23.3% AAGR through 2011. The next highest are transmucosal drug delivery systems, with 15.3%.
- The U.S. market for drug delivery systems in 2002 was $38.8 billion, and is expected to rise at an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 11.3% and reach $74.5 billion by 2008.
- The sustained release (oral, injectable and topical) dosage form market is rising at an AAGR of 9.7% is expected to reach $34.1 billion by 2008.
- The transmucosal market is expected to grow at an AAGR of 12.8% and reach $17.7 billion by 2008.
- The market for targeted delivery systems was $7.3 billion in 2002 and will reach $15.5 billion by 2008.
- Transdermal systems and implants and IUDs are expected to climb at AAGRs of 11.1% and 12.4%, respectively.
- Despite the complaints of health care being too expensive, the U.S. pharmaceutical industry is expected to offer increasing opportunities for advanced drug delivery systems, with the U.S. market for the systems estimated at $16.3 billion in 2000. The efficacy, safety, and convenience of the technologies should maintain average annual growth of 10.9% over the next five years, when sales are predicted to be about $27.4 billion.
- At $13.8 billion in estimated 2000 manufacturers' sales, standard controlled release technologies (microencapsulation, polymer/membrane, and coatings) dominate the market for advanced drug delivery systems. The intense competition in generic products is stimulating growth (7.2%), especially in oral formats, both osmotic and microencapsulated. Demand for injected sustained release products is also spurring growth. The widespread interest in controlled released systems should result in sales reaching $19.6 billion in five years.
When do I get the report?
Most reports are fulfilled immediately. In some cases, it could take up to 24 hours.
In what format does this report get delivered to me?
We will send you an email with login credentials to access the report. You will also be able to download the pdf.
What are the free reports included in my purchase?
They consist of a collection of current reports from various partner publishers scanning multiple industries.
What is the difference between BCC Research and BCC Publishing?
BCC Research curates thousands of reports from different sources and provides access to this content to our clients. BCC Publishing is the publication arm of BCC Research (one of several publishers in our portal).
What reports do I get 'discounts' on with my purchase?
All reports. BCC Publishing reports will be available for a 50% discount. All other partner publishers are also available at deeply discounted rates.
Where are you located?
Wellesley Massachusetts, just outside of Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
How long has BCC Research been around?
We are approaching our 50 year anniversary in 2021!
What if I want you to invoice me for payment via Purchase Order?
Simply choose Pay by Purchase Order when you are checking out. We will connect with you via email to set up your order.
What if I have a question about your reports?
Call us, email us, or chat with us! We encourage your questions and feedback. We have a research concierge team available at all times, and included in every purchase, to help our customers find the research they need-when they need it.
Can I share this report with my team?
Absolutely yes, with the purchase of additional user licenses.
Can I use your research in my presentation?
Absolutely yes, so long as the publisher is properly cited.