Global Markets for Infectious Disease Treatments
The global market for infectious disease diagnostic, vaccine and pharmaceutical products was $59.2 billion in 2011 and $66.4 billion in 2012. Market growth looks promising, the overall market value for 2017 is projected to be $96.8 billion after increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8%.
- An overview of the global market for infectious disease treatments, with a focus on the growth in demand for newer pharmaceutical treatments, vaccines, and environmental products
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017
- Discussion of the increasing concern regarding antibiotic-resistant organisms and their sometimes-fatal effects on humans
- Examination of technological developments, future trends, and emerging opportunities
- Assessments of the current state of infectious diseases on a global basis, broken down by type of disease (i.e., bacterial, viral, parasitic, and fungal) and appropriate treatments, both current and anticipated, and by geographic region
- Patent analysis
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players.
SCOPE OF REPORT
The market report organizes information from diverse sources into a cohesive unit that includes an overview, global implications of infectious diseases, infectious diseases by type, treatment and prevention, emerging pharmaceutical and diagnostic products, and an applicable patents section. Information is organized by type of infectious disease (i.e., bacterial, viral, parasitic) and appropriate treatments, both current and anticipated.
Peggy Lehr is the BCC Research analyst for this report. Ms. Lehr holds a BS in Journalism from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and an MS in Communication from the University of Denver. Ms. Lehr has worked as a researcher, editor, and publisher within the publishing industry for both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations. She is the author of several BCC reports dealing with healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and agriculture.
The global market for infectious disease treatments was valued at $90.4 billion in 2009. This market is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% to reach $138 billion in 2014.
The largest market share belongs to antibiotic treatments for bacterial and fungal diseases at 53% of the total infectious disease treatment market. Fungal disease treatments will experience a slightly higher compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.2%, from $4.6 billion in 2009 to $6.2 billion in 2014.
Viral disease treatments will have the fastest compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.1%, increasing from nearly $45 billion in 2009 to $79 billion in 2014.