- U.S. Polypropylene resin market by application was worth approximately $6.8 billion in 2008. This market remained constant in 2009 under the impact of the recession in many of the world’s major economies, it is projected to grow to nearly $8.2 billion between 2009 and 2014, at a CAGR of 3.7% over the 5-year period
- Food & industrial/consumer packaging market was nearly $2.6 billion in 2008; this further increased to $2.7 billion in 2009, this is projected to reach $3.3 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 4%.
- Healthcare packaging market was $876 million in 2008; this further increased to $901 million in 2009, this is projected to reach $1.1 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 4.5%.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goals and objectives of this report are to provide readers with a detailed view of the U.S. polypropylene resin market from 2008 to 2014, segmented by major application.
Although polypropylene is classified as a commodity, thermoplastic, improvements in many properties, a significant part of which is accomplished via reinforcing agents and polypropylene copolymers, have positioned many polypropylene grades into the realm of several engineering thermoplastics.
Readers will now be in a position to quantitatively assess the volume and position of polypropylenes in a wide array of applications in the U.S. as well as to qualitatively assess their position in the global market.
REASONS FOR DOING THE STUDY
There have not been many studies of polypropylene resins published recently that cover their usage as extensively as this report. The report analyzes about a dozen key applications, many of which are segmented into further detail, especially the automotive, medical, healthcare packaging, rigid food packaging markets, among others.
Readers can now better understand why polypropylene will undergo a wide range of growth patterns in times of general economic uncertainty. Many of the market estimates and forecasts from this report could help readers understand the current situation and possibly forecast the future with a little more certainty.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report covers several critical areas, in addition to applications, to provide readers with a comprehensive picture of the broad topic of polypropylene resins such as: process technologies, properties, copolymers (both random and impact), reinforced and clear grades, sheet, biaxially-oriented versions, cast films, injection molded and blow molded variants, thermoformed versions, producers, pricing, recycling, new developments and properties, the competitive scenario and current offshore activities. Broad-based estimates of polypropylene usage in thermoplastic olefins (TPOs), ethylene-propylene diene monomers (EPDMs) and metallocene polypropylenes are also provided
Both primary and secondary research methodologies were used in preparing this report. An exhaustive review of recent literature and older reports was undertaken followed by detailed research of current events related to the U.S. polypropylene market. Contacts were made with key companies, trade associations and magazines for further information/verification. Sales of most polypropylene grades are protected by producers and key suppliers.
Polypropylene homo- and copolymers have transitioned into the world of advanced polymers—a unique quality for commodity thermoplastic.
As a result, this report would especially be of interest to a wide array of those in the plastics industry, including the following:
- Commodity thermoplastic producers—polypropylene, polyethylene, polyvinylchloride, polystyrene, etc.
- Plastic film producers
- Food and healthcare packaging companies
- Companies involved in the manufacture of autos, appliances, housewares, etc.
Research analyst Mel Schlechter has over 40 years in the chemical industry, and specializes in plastics market research. He has been with BCC Research for over 11 years and holds a B.S. in chemistry, M.S. in organic chemistry and a M.B.A. in marketing.
BCC ONLINE SERVICES
BCC offers an online information retrieval service. BCC’s home page, located at www.bccresearch.com, enables readers to:
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or its use.