Ceramic Matrix Composites and Carbon Matrix Composites: Technologies and Global Markets
The global market for ceramic (CMC) and carbon matrix composites (CAMC) is estimated to increase from $4.9 billion in 2022 to $7.4 billion by 2027, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% during the forecast period of 2022 through 2027.
- 95 data tables and 48 additional tables
- An up-to-date review of the global markets for ceramic matrix composites (CMCs) and carbon matrix composites (CAMCs)
- Analyses of the global market trends, with revenue/sales data for 2021, estimates for 2022, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2027
- Highlights of the new technological developments in the fabrication of ceramic and carbon matrix composites, while outlining technical issues
- Evaluation and forecast the actual market size for CMCs and CAMCs, projected growth trends, and corresponding market share analysis by matrix type, application, reinforcement type, and region
- Review of existing fields of application for CMCs and CAMCs and investigate emerging applications
- Technology assessment of the key drivers, restraints and opportunities that will shape the market over the next five years (2022 to 2027)
- In-depth information on R&D investment, key technology issues, industry specific challenges, major types of end-user markets, and COVID-19 implications on the progress of this market
- Assessment of patent grants for innovations in CMC and CAMC materials, fabrication methods, and applications across each major category
- Descriptive company profiles of the leading global players, including 3M, Hitachi Chemical, Morgan Advanced Materials Plc, Kyocera Group, Saint-Gobain, Sumitomo Electric (SEI), and Ube Industries Ltd.
This report provides an updated review of CMC and CAMC technology, including materials and production processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for this technology.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for CMC-and CAMC-based products, defines trends and presents growth forecasts through 2027. The CMC and CAMC market is analyzed based on matrix material, application and region. Technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are also discussed.
The market analysis conducted by BCC Research for this report is divided into four sections.
- First section: This provides an introduction to the topic and a historical review of CMC and CAMC technology, including an outline of recent events. Current and emerging applications for ceramic and carbon matrix composites are also identified and grouped into segments (i.e., aerospace and defense, electronics, energy and environmental, mechanical and chemical, medical and dental, sensors and instrumentation, transportation, others).
- Second section: This provides a technological review of ceramic and carbon matrix composites. It offers a revised and detailed description of various types of ceramic composites, new and emerging materials for CMC and CAMC primary and secondary phases and typical fabrication methods and innovative processes for ceramic and carbon matrix composites. It concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2013, including examples of recently issued or applied for patents, and highlights the most active research organizations operating in this field.
- Third section: This entails the analysis of current CMC and CAMC revenue, followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends and regional trends. It concludes by providing projected revenues for ceramic and carbon matrix composites within each segment, along with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period from 2022 through 2027.
- Fourth section: This covers the global industry structure. The report offers a list of the leading suppliers of ceramic and carbon matrix composites, along with descriptions of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these firms and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
BCC Publishing Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
|Base year considered||2021|
|Forecast period considered||2027|
|Base year market size||$4.5 billion|
|Market size forecast||$7.4 billion|
|Growth rate||CAGR of 8.8% for the forecast period of 2022-2027|
|Units considered||$ Millions|
|Segments covered||matrix type, application and region|
|Regions covered||North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World|
|Countries covered||U.S., Canada, Germany, France, China, Japan, South America|
|Key Market Drivers||
The global market for ceramic and carbon matrix composites will grow from $3.9 billion in 2016 to nearly $6.2 billion by 2021 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4% for the period of 2016-2021.
- An overview of the global markets for ceramic matrix composites and carbon matrix composites, focusing on materials and fabrication technologies.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data for 2014, 2015, 2016 and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2021.
- Highlights of key technological advances made during recent years.
- A look at existing fields of application for new and emerging applications.
- Breakdowns of the markets by matrix type, application, and region.
- Important technology and market trends within each market segment.
- An overview of global R&D activities related to ceramic matrix composites, both within public and private organizations.
- Profiles of major players in the industry.
- The global ceramic matrix composites (CMC) market is projected to reach $870 million in revenue by the end of 2010. The total market for ceramic matrix composites is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.3% through 2015, reaching nearly $1.3 billion in total revenues.
- Revenue growth for CMCs is being driven primarily by the mechanical/chemical sector for manufacturing wear-resistant parts and cutting tools. The mechanical/chemical sector is estimated to account for 36.1% of all revenues in 2010, a value of nearly $315 million, and is expected to experience an 8.2% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) through 2015 to reach $466 million.
- Additional key sectors are energy and environmental, and aerospace and defense, which combined account for 50.1% of the total market. The energy and environmental sector is valued at $277 million in 2010 and is expected to reach $394 million in 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3%.
The U.S. market for ceramic matrix composites in 1999 was worth $115.6 million. This amount includes prototype and production quantities, as well as research funding. Currently, the markets are still dominated by wear parts, cutting tools, and radiant burner tubes. The U.S. market is expected to reach ~$178 million by the year 2004 with an annual average growth rate of 9.1% per year from 1999 to 2004.
The global market for ceramic matrix composites in 1999 was ~$217 million. This is forecasted to increase to $318 million by the year 2004 with an annual average growth rate of 8% per year from 1999 to 2004.