Global Markets and Manufacturing Technologies for Protein Drugs
The global protein therapeutics market reached $138.3 billion in 2012. This market is expected to decline to $136.7 billion in 2013 and then increase to nearly $179.1 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.6% over the five-year period from 2013 to 2018.
- An overview of the markets for each major class of protein in the segments therapeutic monoclonal antibodies, cytokines, peptide hormones, vaccines, and blood products
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012, estimates for 2013, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2018
- Examinations of current successes, including the size and sales forecast for each class in the next five years
- Discussion of challenges such as delivery methods and side effects
- Consideration of issues regarding add-on products and patent protection
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players.
The scope of this study encompasses protein therapeutics in pharmaceutical and biotechnology markets. BCC Research analyzes each market and its applications, regulatory environment, technology, market projections, and market shares. Technological issues include the latest trends and developments. The emerging market for enzyme inhibitors includes countries like India, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, etc.
Shalini Shahani Dewan focuses on pharmaceuticals and biotechnology and has been a BCC Research contributor since 2002 as both an analyst and project manager. She has explored a wide range of topics and companies, including working for Johnson & Johnson doing market surveillance. She has an undergraduate degree in pharmacy and master's degree in medicinal chemistry. She resides in the Bay Area.
- Global Markets for CT Scanners (HLC024B)
- Technologies for Long-term Care and Home Healthcare: Global Markets (HLC079D)
- Renal Dialysis Equipment: Technologies and Global Markets (HLC164B)
- Fluoroscopy and C-arms: Technologies and Global Markets (HLC148B)
- Global Markets for Contract Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, Research and Packaging (PHM043G)
- The global market for protein drugs is expected to increase from $86.8 billion in 2007 to an estimated $95.2 billion in 2008 and $160.1 billion in 2013, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.9%.
- Peptide hormones generated $26.1 billion in 2007 and an estimated $27.9 billion in 2008. This segment should reach $50.4 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 12.6%.
- The antibodies segment was worth $15.0 billion in 2007. This is expected to increase to $18.1 billion in 2008 and $36.9 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 15.4%.
Protein drugs for human therapeutic use are a 1,000 metric ton industry-more than one billion grams of bulk proteins that garnered formulation sales, on average, of $27.80 per gram in 1999. This study estimates 1,048,859,344 grams of bulk drug proteins were produced worldwide in 1999. Approximately 1,150,573,386 grams will be produced worldwide in 2004, representing an overall 1.9% average annual (compound) growth rate from 1999 to 2004.
Recombinant biological methods provided only 0.1% of the worldwide total bulk drug protein production in 1999, but are projected to provide 0.6% of the total production in 2004.