Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients: Global Markets
The global market for active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) should grow from $135.4 billion in 2020 to $173.3 billion by 2025, at compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% for the period of 2020-2025.
- 27 data tables and 32 additional tables
- An overview of the global active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) market
- Estimation of the market size and analyses of market trends, with data from 2018, 2019, estimates for 2020 and projection of CAGR through 2025
- Highlights of quantitative and qualitative data of the API market by molecular entity, manufacturer type, origin, end use and region
- Detailed description of API sources, production methods, route of synthesis, and contract manufacturing organizations
- Information on regulatory perspective on production methods of API and discussion on harmonization of API GMP standards and supply chain integrity
- Impact analysis of coronavirus on the global economy; and discussion on impact of COVID-19 on API industry
- Identification of market drivers, restraints and other forces impacting the global market and evaluation of current market trends, market size, market forecast, and technological advancements within the industry
- Discussion on issues like patent expiry and its impact on the pharmaceutical market, and details of changes in pharmaceutical drug development
- Coverage of events like mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, collaborations or partnerships, and other key market strategies
- Company profiles of major players of the industry, including Actavis PLC, BASF AG, Cambrex Corp., GlaxoSmithKline PLC and Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
This report is an overview of the pharmaceutical industry landscape and active pharmaceutical ingredients (API), along with the current trends and dynamics shaping the API market landscape. API sourcing trends and regulatory guidelines that impact the procurement of APIs are studied here. The increasing importance of outsourced API manufacturing activities and the impact on the pharmaceutical industry are covered in the report.
In this report, the API market is segmented into molecular entity, manufacturer type, end use, and region. Further, it is segmented into two molecular entity groups: natural and synthetic API. Synthetic APIs are further segmented into chemical synthesis, biocatalytic and cell culture. Under the category of molecular entity, APIs are segmented into small molecules and large molecules. By sourcing type, the market is segmented into the captive market, merchant market and contract manufacturing organization (CMO). In terms of end use, the market is segmented into clinical trial use and commercial use.
In terms of geography, this report analyzes the market by the following regions: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (Latin America and the Middle East). The API market is very fragmented. Therefore, attempts have been made to present the market share held by selected companies.
BCC Publishing Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
The global active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) market should reach $154.7 billion by 2022 from $114.2 billion in 2017 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.2% for the period 2017-2022.
- 38 data tables and 32 additional tables
- Detailed overview of global market for active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) within the pharmaceutical industry
- Country specific data and analysis for United States, Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, U.K., Italy, Spain, China, India, Japan, Brazil, South Africa, and UAE
- Segmentation of the global market by molecular entity, manufacturer type, end use, and geographical region
- Identification of factors such as challenges, trends and emerging opportunities that impact the future market dynamics
- A look at the current regulatory updates, new developments, mergers and acquisitions and partnership activities, and patent expiry shaping the API market landscape
- Examination of vendor landscape and detailed profiles of the major vendors in the global API market, including Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, Cambrex Corp., BASF, Dishman Group, Lonza, and Sun Pharma