Global Markets for Asthma and COPD Drugs
The global market for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) prescription drugs was valued at $34.9 billion in 2011. This figure is projected to reach $38 billion in 2012 and $47.1 billion in 2017, increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.4%.
SCOPE OF REPORT
The report provides a current market overview and projects future developments in the asthma and COPD drugs market over the period from 2011 through 2017. The report describes existing drug classes approved for these indications, such as bronchodilators, anti-inflammatory drugs, and combination drugs of inhaled corticosteroids and bronchodilators. The pipeline of drugs in clinical trials for these indications is also presented and analyzed.
The report includes the following major sections:
- Disease overview.
- Industry structure and competitive analysis including tiers of competition; regulatory aspects; competitive factors; and market needs, challenges, and trends
- Overall market revenue forecast and current market shares as well as revenue forecast by major drug classes, disease indication, and geographical regions.
- In-depth analyses of current drug classes.
- Reviews and analyses of compounds in clinical trials, with an emphasis on drugs in advanced stages of development.
The report will also analyze product sales and demographics in three regional markets: The Americas (U.S., Canada, Latin/South America); Europe, Middle East, Russia, Africa (EMRA); and Asia (Japan, Australia/New Zealand, other Asian nations, including India and China).
Peggy S. Lehr is the BCC Research analyst of this report. Ms. Lehr holds a BS in Journalism from the University of Colorado, Boulder, and an MS in Communication from the University of Denver. Ms. Lehr has worked within the publishing industry for both for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, and she has completed more than 20 reports for BCC.
- Overall sales in the asthma and COPD drugs market were worth $25 billion in 2008, and increased to an estimated $26 billion in 2009. By 2014, it is projected to increase to $31 billion, for a 5-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.3%.
- The largest segment asthma drugs market, was valued at approx $15 billion in 2008; this is expected to increase to $16 billion in 2009, and is projected to reach $17 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 1.2%.
- Sales in the COPD drug market amounted to $10 billion in 2008 remained flat in 2009, but projected to increase to $14 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 6.1%.