2013 Plastics Research Review
- The global market for EMI/RFI shielding is expected to reach nearly $5.1 billion in 2012 and $5.2 billion in 2013. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $6 billion in 2018 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.9% for the five-year period 2013 to 2018.
- The global plastic healthcare packaging market was nearly 9.6 billion pounds in 2012 and slightly more than 10 billion pounds in 2013. It is expected to increase and reach more than 13 billion pounds by 2018, which corresponds to a 5.6% CAGR for the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
- The estimated distribution of compounded thermoplastic resins in North America reached 89.8 billion pounds in 2012. This total is expected to grow 90.9 billion pounds in 2013 and 102.3 billion pounds in 2018 at a CAGR of 2.4% for the period of 2013-2018.
Research Reviews from BCC Research provide market professionals with concise market coverage within a specific research category. These Research Reviews include portions of several market research reports that were published in 2013, and are an efficient way for market professionals to keep up with the general market developments of 2013.
Please note that page references in the text are to pages in the original, complete report, and do not reflect the actual page numbers in this Research Review.
This 2013 Plastics Research Review includes excerpts from the following reports:
- PLS005K EMI/RFI: Materials and Technologies.
- PLS007E Plastics for Healthcare Packaging.
- PLS018D The Plastics Compounding Market.
- PLS020C Engineering Resins, Polymer Alloys and Blends: Global Markets.
- PLS025E Biodegradable Polymers.
- PLS052A Global Markets for Polyolefin Resins.
We encourage you to obtain and benefit from the full market research reports that are excerpted in this Research Review.
BCC Research looks forward to serving your market intelligence needs in the future.
Kevin R. Fitzgerald
This 2012 Plastics Research Review provides:
- A comprehensive and updated reference for those interested and/or involved with the U.S. plastic pipe and tubing industries and that both serve and benefit from these industries.
- Analysis and forecasting market developments regarding major applications for bioplastics, including packaging, automotive, electrical/electronic, medical, building and construction.
- Analysis for those who are interested and/or involved in the plastic thermoformed businesses that include resin producers, plastic sheet producers, thermoformers and those in the major industries using these products.
- Coverage of all electronic components where plastics are used to a significant extent in mostly molding electronic components and excludes fiber optics, wire and cable, enclosures, recording media, etc.
- The global market for electroactive polymers was $1.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to be about $2.1 billion in 2011. It is forecast to grow to over $3 billion by 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1%.
- The global market for applications of wood-plastic composites, cellulosic plastics, plastic lumber and natural fiber composites is estimated at about 2.4 million metric tons in 2011. By 2016, it is estimated at nearly 4.6 million metric tons and rising at a CAGR of 13.8%.
- The North American fiber-reinforced plastic/composite market is estimated at 2.7 billion pounds in 2010 and is expected to increase to about 3.1 billion by 2015, reflecting a 2.8% CAGR.
The North American transparent plastics market was estimated at more than 3.3 billion pounds in 2010 and is projected to reach 4 billion pounds by 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7%. Polycarbonates, acrylics, and polystyrenes accounted for about 80% of total volume in 2010 and will maintain their aggregate share through the middle of this decade.
The merchant market for polymeric (plastic) foams in the U.S. is a large one, estimated at more than 7.5 billion pounds in 2010. BCC forecasts an overall compounded average annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 2.5% for all foams, that is, foams produced from commercial plastics, for the period 2010 to 2015, a market of 8.6 billion pounds by 2015.
The U.S. medical plastics market is estimated at almost 3.5 billion pounds in 2010 and will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 5%, consuming about 4.4 billion pounds by 2015.