2021 Plastics Research Review
- The global plastic lead market volume using plastic waste should grow from 7,188.1 thousand tons in 2021 to 11,715.6 thousand tons by 2026 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.3% for the period of 2021-2026.
- The global market volume for plastic compounding should grow from 475.9 billion pounds in 2021 to 540.4 billion pounds by 2026 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.6% for the period of 2021-2026.
- The global bioplastics market volume should reach 3.3 million metric tons by 2026 from 2.2 million metric tons in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.3% for the forecast period of 2021 to 2026.
The role of plastics is extremely crucial in modern industries. Characterized by excellent properties, these materials have gained high prominence across an array of sectors, including automotive, electricals and electronics, manufacturing, medical and others. The overall market demand is expected to further experience lucrative growth on account of rising demand for bioplastics and recycled plastics.
This 2021 Research Review of the plastics industry offers a sample of the types of quantitative market information, analysis, and guidance that has been aiding business decision-making since the inception of BCC Research in 1971. It includes the highlights of reports published in 2021 and early 2022 on the following markets:
- PLS115A Market Trends in the Plastics Industry: An Analysis of Developments by Key Plastics Manufacturers
- PLS117A Plastic Lead Market Using Plastic Waste: Global Markets to 2026
- PLS018G Global Market for Plastics Compounding
- PLS050F Global Markets and Technologies for Bioplastics
- PLS105B Thermally Conductive Plastics: Types and Global Markets
- PLS116A Plastic Antioxidants: Global Markets to 2026
- PLS118A Plastic Strap: Global Markets
- MDS054A Global Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Equipment Market
- PLS102B Automotive Plastics: Global Markets
BCC Publishing Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
- The global market for thermoformed plastics reached $13.0 billion in 2018 and should reach $16.7 billion by 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for plastic processing machinery reached $35.2 billion in 2018 and should reach $41.1 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 3.0% through 2023.
- The global market for thermally conductive plastics reached $772.0 million in 2018 and should reach $1.6 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 15.1% through 2023.
- The global market for plastics injection molding reached $139 billion in 2018 and should reach $233 billion by 2023, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for plastics recycling should grow from $25.3 billion in 2018 to $33.8 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for flexible-foam reached $29.1 billion in 2017. The market should reach $36.9 billion by 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.9% for the period of 2017-2022.
- The global market for EMI/RFI shielding is expected to reach nearly $5.1 billion in 2012 and $5.2 billion in 2013. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $6 billion in 2018 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.9% for the five-year period 2013 to 2018.
- The global plastic healthcare packaging market was nearly 9.6 billion pounds in 2012 and slightly more than 10 billion pounds in 2013. It is expected to increase and reach more than 13 billion pounds by 2018, which corresponds to a 5.6% CAGR for the five-year period, 2013 to 2018.
- The estimated distribution of compounded thermoplastic resins in North America reached 89.8 billion pounds in 2012. This total is expected to grow 90.9 billion pounds in 2013 and 102.3 billion pounds in 2018 at a CAGR of 2.4% for the period of 2013-2018.
This 2012 Plastics Research Review provides:
- A comprehensive and updated reference for those interested and/or involved with the U.S. plastic pipe and tubing industries and that both serve and benefit from these industries.
- Analysis and forecasting market developments regarding major applications for bioplastics, including packaging, automotive, electrical/electronic, medical, building and construction.
- Analysis for those who are interested and/or involved in the plastic thermoformed businesses that include resin producers, plastic sheet producers, thermoformers and those in the major industries using these products.
- Coverage of all electronic components where plastics are used to a significant extent in mostly molding electronic components and excludes fiber optics, wire and cable, enclosures, recording media, etc.
- The global market for electroactive polymers was $1.9 billion in 2010 and is expected to be about $2.1 billion in 2011. It is forecast to grow to over $3 billion by 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.1%.
- The global market for applications of wood-plastic composites, cellulosic plastics, plastic lumber and natural fiber composites is estimated at about 2.4 million metric tons in 2011. By 2016, it is estimated at nearly 4.6 million metric tons and rising at a CAGR of 13.8%.
- The North American fiber-reinforced plastic/composite market is estimated at 2.7 billion pounds in 2010 and is expected to increase to about 3.1 billion by 2015, reflecting a 2.8% CAGR.
The North American transparent plastics market was estimated at more than 3.3 billion pounds in 2010 and is projected to reach 4 billion pounds by 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7%. Polycarbonates, acrylics, and polystyrenes accounted for about 80% of total volume in 2010 and will maintain their aggregate share through the middle of this decade.
The merchant market for polymeric (plastic) foams in the U.S. is a large one, estimated at more than 7.5 billion pounds in 2010. BCC forecasts an overall compounded average annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 2.5% for all foams, that is, foams produced from commercial plastics, for the period 2010 to 2015, a market of 8.6 billion pounds by 2015.
The U.S. medical plastics market is estimated at almost 3.5 billion pounds in 2010 and will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 5%, consuming about 4.4 billion pounds by 2015.