Synthetic Paper: Technologies and Global Markets
The global market for synthetic paper is estimated to increase from $768.5 million in 2022 to reach $1.2 billion by 2027, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% from 2022 through 2027.
- 64 data tables and 45 additional tables
- An up-to-date review and analysis of the global market for synthetic paper and related technologies
- Analyses of the global market trends, with historic market revenue (sales figures) for 2021, estimates for 2022, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2027
- Estimation of the actual market size and revenue forecast for global synthetic paper market in USD million values, and corresponding market share analysis based on paper type, material, product, application, end-use industry, and region
- In-depth information (facts and figures) concerning the major factors influencing the progress of this market (benefits, and industry-specific challenges) with respect to specific growth trends, upcoming technologies, future prospects, and contributions to the overall market
- Highlights of emerging technology trends, opportunities and gaps estimating current and future demand for synthetic paper, and impact of macroeconomic factors on the progress of this market
- Review of key patent grants and significant allotments of recent patents across each major category
- Identification of the major stakeholders and analysis of the competitive landscape based on recent developments and segmental revenues
- Descriptive company profiles of the leading global players, including Agfa-Gevaert NV, Arjobex SAS, Avery Dennison Corp., PPG Industries Inc., Seiko Epson, and Yupo Corp.
A few restrictions are in order before explaining the scope of the report:
- Likely readers of this report should include synthetic paper producers along with companies that produce printable plastic films, many of which are called converters. Other interested parties should be companies that make flexible plastic packaging films and film extruders. Tag and label producers, including those who provide pressure-sensitive products and in-mold labels, also should be interested in this report.
- The term synthetic paper has not been universally defined because it is basically an opaque plastic film that is both printable and writeable. Most synthetic papers are either biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP) or high-density polyethylene (HDPE), although there are sizable amounts made from polyesters and fewer from polystyrene and PVC.
- It is essential to understand, regarding market estimates and forecasts in this report, that food/beverage packaging labels have been excluded for several reasons. First, their large volume of plastic films (hundreds of millions of pounds) would distort the basic synthetic paper market. This market, according to industry estimates, is in the range of billions of dollars. Secondly, most industry insiders believe that this market segment lies outside the general definition of synthetic paper.
The report covers the following synthetic paper materials:
- High-density polyethylene (HDPE).
- Others (predominantly polyvinyl chloride [PVC]).
The scope of this study is global. The global market is segmented by type, by application, by product, by end-user industry, and by geographic regions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- The global synthetic paper market is growing due to its cost-effectiveness
- Growing demands of packaging due to E-commerce growth as synthetic paper is durable and can withstand the rigors of shipping and handling
BCC Research Team possesses expertise and experience in life and physical science domains. They specialize in offering valuable business insights, including industry analysis, competitor intelligence, strategic and financial analysis, and opportunity assessment. The team has in-depth knowledge of various sectors, including healthcare, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, IT, automation, advanced materials, and energy. They are proficient in qualitative and quantitative market intelligence providing clients with actionable insights. With a vast understanding of the competitive landscape, the team can support clients in making data-driven decisions to help them achieve a competitive edge in their respective markets.
|Base year considered||2021|
|Forecast period considered||2022-2027|
|Base year market size||$714.9 million|
|Market size forecast||$1.2 billion|
|Growth rate||CAGR of 8.8% during the forecast period of 2022-2027|
|Units considered||$ Millions|
|Segments covered||By Material, Type of Paper, Product, End-use Industry, Application, and Region|
|Regions covered||North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World (RoW)|
|Key Market Drivers||
The global synthetic paper shipment market should reach 490 million pounds by 2024 from 347 million pounds in 2019 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.1% for the period of 2019 to 2024.
- 36 data tables and 16 additional tables
- An overview of the global markets and technologies for synthetic paper
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2018, estimates for 2019, and projections of CAGRs through 2024
- Coverage of cavitated and clay-coated films and multilayer lamination and coextrusion
- In-depth analysis of various printing processes, including lithographic printing, gravure printing, flexographic printing, letterpress printing and digital printing
- Overview of synthetic paper additives, such as clays, titanium dioxide, calcium carbonate, talc and silicas
- Detailed profiles of key competitors of the market, including Agfa-Gevaert N.V., Hop Industries Corp., Nan Ya Plastics Corp., Taghleef Industries (TI), Transcendia and Valeron Strength Films
The global synthetic paper market totaled 250 million pounds in 2014, and is expected to reach 267 million pounds in 2015 and 370 million pounds by 2020, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.7% from 2015 to 2020.
- An overview of the global markets and technologies for synthetic paper.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2014, estimates for 2015, and projections of CAGRs through 2020.
- Information about fillers and coatings used in the manufacturing of synthetic paper.
- Coverage of printing processes used, new technologies, applications, and the industry structure.
- Analysis of the market's dynamics, specifically growth drivers, inhibitors, and opportunities.
The global market for synthetic paper totaled 216 million pounds in 2011 and is projected to reach 222 million pounds in 2012 and 263 million pounds in 2017, a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.4%.
The total North American synthetic paper market was 92.2 million pounds in 2005 and grew to approximately 100 million pounds in 2006. At a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.8%, total consumption of synthetic paper in the U.S. and Canada will reach 138.6 million pounds by 2011.
Non-labels synthetic paper consumption, which refers to original, traditional synthetic paper products such as maps, menus, banners, etc., was 51.2 million pounds in 2006 and will grow at a CAGR of 6.0% to reach 68.5 million pounds in 2011.
Labels and tags consumption will surpass the traditional synthetic paper market to reach 70.1 million pounds by 2011, a CAGR of 7.5%
The synthetic paper market can be measured in several ways: millions of square inches (MSI), dollar value, or volume in pounds. MSI is not an effective means because synthetic paper is made in various thicknesses usually recorded in mils. Dollar values, by themselves, are arbitrary and are ineffective in evaluating markets.
This report chose volume as the synthetic paper market indicator whereby the estimated 110 million-pound market will increase to about 165 million pounds by 2005. Current market value is pegged at slightly over $200 million.