The Global Market for Equipment Used in Biotechnology Applications
The global biotechnology equipment market was valued at $5.5 billion in 2009. By 2014, this market is expected to be worth $7.3 billion, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8%.
Imaging currently dominates the market with the highest market share. This segment was worth $1.7 billion in 2009 and is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.9% to reach $2.1 billion in 2014.
Arrays represent the fastest growing market sector, increasing at a 9.1% compound annual growth rate (CAGR), from $326 million in 2009 to $504 million in 2014.
- To define and intensively analyze the global biotechnology equipment market
- To analyze comprehensively each market segment with respect to market drivers, restraints and opportunities that are affecting market revenues and trends
- To quantify market size, in revenues, for the overall market and each market segment with respect to technology and revenues attributed to respective geographies (North America, Europe, Asia and Rest of the World)
- To analyze and comprehend the core competency of the market players by profiling companies with respect to their product offerings specific to the biotechnology equipment, market specific strategies and recent developments.
- Biotechnology forms an integral part of industries such as food, pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and environmental laboratories. Moreover, other noncommercial applications of biotechnology are also included; they are government (also includes biotech applications in defense) and academic institutions.
- Biotechnology equipment is popularly used in drug discovery and finds major applications with 50% penetration. However, it also has applications in diagnosis in areas such as blood processing, blood grouping and typing, drug-of-abuse testing, hormone-level testing, drug monitoring, etc., with a 35% penetration level. Other applications include identification of bioterrorism agents in defense and basic research.
- Chromatography has the widest application in life sciences with around 50% penetration. Approximately 40% of the total chromatography market is considered to be in biotechnology. Apart from biotechnology, it is applied throughout the chemical industry.
- Electrophoresis is used for separation and purification of biomolecules. Therefore, it finds major applications in biotechnology with 85% penetration.
- Sequencers and synthesizers, immunoassays and arrays, have prime applications in biotechnology with 100% penetration.
- Mass spectrometry is largely used in chemical industries. Due to fewer applications in biotechnology, it is considered to be less than 15% of the entire mass spectrometry market.
- Imaging equipment is commonly used in hospitals for diagnosis. In biotechnology, imaging equipment is used for drug monitoring, structural analysis, etc. However, imaging equipment in biotechnology forms a very small market, less than 10% of the entire imaging market.
- Laboratory automation equipment is widely used in several industries other than biotechnology; they include information technology (IT), the automobile industry, the chemical industry, etc. Biotechnology, therefore, forms a small part of such a broad range of industries. The market for laboratory automation in biotechnology is considered to be around 7% of the total laboratory automation market.
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies
- Analytical instrument manufacturers, distributors and suppliers
- Pharmaceutical and biotechnology associations
- Contract research organizations.
- Global weight management market
- Tele-medicines: a mainstream technology
- High-growth markets in healthcare and life sciences
- Carbonated soft drinks market.
- Adoption rates and analysis of OTC diabetic medicines and supplements
- Radio frequency identification (RFID), real time locating systems (RTLS), IP surveillance and other emerging technologies in the healthcare domain.
- Examine BCC’s complete catalog of Market Research Reports and place direct orders
- Subscribe to any of BCC’s many industry newsletters
- Read announcements of recently published reports and newly launched newsletters
- Register for BCC’s well-known conferences
- Request additional information on any BCC product
- Take advantage of special offers
The information developed in this report is intended to be as reliable as possible at the time of publication and of a professional nature. This information does not constitute managerial, legal, or accounting advice; nor should it serve as a corporate policy guide, laboratory manual, or an endorsement of any product, as much of the information is speculative in nature. The author assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage that might result from reliance on the reported information or its use.