The U.S. Market for Prescription Allergy Treatment and Management
- The total, current U.S. prescription allergy treatment and management market in 2001 generated revenues of $6.45 billion. In 2006, this market is forecast to reach $9.6 billion, rising at an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of 8.3%.
- The antihistamines and combinations segment reached $2.90 billion in 2001, some 45% of the market. Growing at an AAGR of 6.7%, this segment will reach $4 billion in 2006, but will lose ground to corticosteroids.
- Corticosteroids are expected to rise the fastest, at an AAGR of 11.8% to $3.98 billion in 2006, representing 41.5% of the market at that time.
- The mast cell stabilizers segment will be the second fastest growing and will rise at an AAGR of 8.9% from $340 million in 2001 to $520 million in 2006.
- Sympathomimetics, decongestants and combinations were valued at $930 million in 2001 and will rise at an AAGR of only 3.2% to $1.09 billion in 2006.
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The objective of this study is to present an in-depth look at the prescription allergy treatment and management market by:
- providing information to intelligently evaluate U.S. market trends in the prescription allergy market
- identifying and discussing events and trends that affect the prescription allergy market
- tracking significant advances within the market and analyzing their impact on the future of the market
- identifying and discussing novel products now in the pipeline that will have future viability.
REASONS FOR THE STUDY
This BCC study is presented as a valuable basic market reference and summary of activity in the prescription allergy treatment and management market. It analyzes current industry climate, explores new therapeutics and diagnostics, and addresses the volatile issues that are of great importance in making intelligent marketing decisions to gain a competitive edge. Senior and marketing personnel, corporate and product planners, investment analysts, investors and venture capitalists can use this report to analyze the changing environment, and strive to keep abreast of current and potential opportunities within the U.S. prescription allergy treatment and management market.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This report is designed to provide a comprehensive look at the U.S. prescription allergy treatment and management markets. The geographic area covered by the report is the United States. The report identifies the different classes of prescription allergy products; gives a brief explanation of the disorder; cites incidence; presents current treatments, market size and market participants; and presents potential research and development, forecasted market size and growth. The report organizes information from diverse sources into a cohesive unit that includes an overview section on allergies and four categories of prescription allergy products including:
- antihistamines and combinations
- sympathomimetics, decongestants and combinations
- mast cell stabilizers
All categories are further broken down into specific types of administration. Each subsegment is covered in depth including oral, topical and ocular applications.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
The information and analysis presented in this BCC report are based on extensive first-hand interviews with primary executives, product managers and clinical specialists in the area allergies. Background information was obtained from various government, , medical journal and trade magazines and from interviews with doctors and nurses. Key information from published literature was used to conduct interviews with more than 42 industry participants to validate and obtain expert opinions on current and future trends in allergies. Interviews also were used to confirm and/or adjust market size and market share estimates, as well as to formulate market projections.
All market data pertain to the U.S. market at the manufacturer's level. Data are expressed in current U.S. dollars. The base year was 2001. Historical data are provided for 1999 and 2000 and forecast data are provided for 2006. Historical, base year and forecast data are provided for each market segment and subsegment. Market shares are provided for each market segment for the 2001 base year.
Mary Anne Crandall is a RN/Instructor/Medical Analyst specializing in the pharmaceuticals industry. The author has more than 20 years' experience in the healthcare industry and has 10 years' experience as a medical analyst in the pharmaceutical industry. Recent marketing reports include The Market for Pain Management, New Therapeutics and Diagnostics for Women's Disorders, Treatment and Diagnosis for Sexually Transmitted Diseases, and The U.S. Market for Ethical Nutrition in Healthcare.