2018 Semiconductor Manufacturing Research Review
- The global market for sputtered films and sputtering targets should reach over $3.2 billion by 2021 from nearly $2.9 billion in 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.2%, from 2016 to 2021.
- The global market for microfluidic technologies reached $6.8 billion in 2017 and should reach nearly $13.9 billion by 2022, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.3% for the period of 2017-2022.
- The global transparent displays market should grow from $7.1 billion in 2018 to $89.1 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 65.7% for the period of 2018-2023.
In the today’s world of system and devices, computing technology has become a major part of people’s life style, owing to integration of various semiconductor devices such as sensors, chips, micro-controllers, circuits, displays, cells, and many others. If closly looked, it can be observed that, semiconductors have influenced every bit and piece of all the computer systems and has become core parts of their functionality. With increase in applications of artificial intelligence (AI), computer systems are demanding on efficient sensors and semiconductors chips to carryout their advanced functionalities for better system output. According to Dr. Morris Chang, founder of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited, AI and machine learning technologies have created potential space for development of semiconductor architectures such as Extreme Ultraviolet (EUV) lithography, 3D packaging, and some new materials including carbon and graphene nano tubes.
Additionally, semiconductor vendors have found good market opportunities with introductions of various display technologies such as LCDs, OLED, LED, transparenet dispalys, and others. Flexible displays, curved screens, thin-film dispalys, and AMOLED (active-matrix organic light-emitting diode) are some of the core areas where semiconductor investors have adopted various new innovations and market development strategies. For instance, in September 2017, Samsung and LG Electronics invested $30 million in CYNORA GmbH, a leading next generation OLED developer in Germany. This investment is to promote advanced OLEDs such as flexible OLED, transparent displays, and others in the flexible display market.
This semiconductor research review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC Research was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2018 on the following semiconductor technology markets:
- SMC036E Microfluidics: Technologies and Global Markets
- SMC037G Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and Markets
- SMC109A Transparent Displays: Technologies and Global Markets
- SMC110A Thin Film Transistors: Global Markets to 2022
- SMC111A Dynamic Random-Access Memory (DRAM): Global Markets to 2022
- SMC113A Global Market for Semiconductor Batteries
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ engineering market research needs.
BCC Research Staff
The BCC Research staff is comprised of expert analysts skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis. The analysts have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements, with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery.
- The global market for thermal interface materials will grow from $763.7 million in 2015 to nearly $1.1 billion by 2020 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.4% for the period of 2015-2020.
- The global market for organic light emitting diodes (OLED) was $2.1 billion and $2.5 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively. The market is expected to reach nearly $3.1 billion in 2015 and $9.6 billion in 2020, registering a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25.7% for the period 2015-2020.
- The global wafer-level packaging (WLP) market was valued at $1.3 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow from $1.6 billion in 2014 to $4.9 billion by 2019, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 24.5% from 2014 to 2019.
- The market for thermal management technologies was valued at $6.7 billion in 2011 and reached $7 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $10.1 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.6%.
- The market for microfluidics technologies was valued at nearly $5.1 billion in 2011 and $5.6 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $10.3 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 13%.
- The global market for thermal interface materials (TIMs) was worth nearly $426 million in 2011 and $458 million in 2012. The market is expected to grow to $762 million in 2017 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.7% between 2012 and 2017.
This 2012 Semiconductor Manufacturing Review provides:
- An overview of the current market and an impartial analysis of prospects for future growth, with a focus on the raw materials used to produce thin films and nanofilms.
- Forecast of the global market for compound semiconductor–based components in value (dollar sales) and volume (shipment sales) terms.
- Focus on materials used for optical coating and opportunities for optical in the telecommunications, transportation, defense, photography, electronics and medical markets.
- Environmental and regulatory trends for thermal management.