Thermal and Biological Waste-to-Energy Markets
The global waste-to-energy market reached $35.1 billion in 2022 and should reach $50.8 billion by 2028, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.4% during the forecast period of 2023-2028.
- 43 data tables and 23 additional tables
- An up-to-date overview and industry analysis of the global markets for thermal and biological waste-to-energy (WTE) processes and technologies
- Analyses of the global market trends, with historic market revenue data (sales figures) for 2022, estimates for 2023, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2028
- Estimation of the actual market size and revenue forecast for the global waste-to-energy market in USD million terms, and corresponding market share analysis by technology type, application, end-user, and region
- Highlights of emerging technology trends, opportunities and gaps in the market estimating current and future demand for thermal and biological WTE technologies, and identification of major regions and countries involved market developments
- In-depth information (facts and figures) concerning the major factors influencing the progress of the market (benefits, and industry-specific challenges) with respect to specific growth trends, upcoming technologies, future prospects, and contributions to the overall market
- A comparative study of Porter’s Five Forces analysis and PESTLE analysis considering both micro- and macro- environmental factors prevailing in the global market for thermal and biological waste-to-energy technologies
- Review of the legislative and environmental regulatory issues and concerns currently focused on integrated waste management approaches as a basis for projecting demand in the next few years
- Insight into the recent industry structure, competitive aspects of each product segment, increasing investment on R&D activities to develop low-cost WTE technologies, market development strategies, and company value share analysis
- Review of key patent grants and significant allotments of recent patents across each major category
- Company profiles of major players within the industry, including Andritz AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Veolia Environnement SA, Waste Management Inc., and Xcel Energy Inc.
This report will cover the WTE industry. Definitive and detailed estimates and forecasts of the global market are provided, followed by a detailed analysis of the technology, waste type end uses and regions. Ongoing market trends, growth drivers and challenges impeding the market are discussed. The report will analyze the global thermal and biological WTE markets by technology and geography. It will also focus on the regulations and government-supported programs impacting this market. Regionally, the focus of study will be the markets of North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and the Rest of the World (ROW).
Using 2022 as the base year, the report provides estimated market data for the forecast period from 2023 to 2028. The market size for different regions (regions by technology) will also be covered. The impact of COVID-19 was also considered when deriving market estimations. Sales value estimates are based on prices in the supply chain. Market-driving forces and industry structure are examined. International aspects are analyzed for all global regions.
In 2020, the growth rate of global manufacturing industries was severely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic halted progress in every regional economy. Governments took measures to contain the economic slowdown.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Increasing Need for Energy Security
- Increasing Available Volume of Global Municipal Waste for WTE
- Decreasing Land Filling Space
- Carbon Footprint Reduction
- Increasing awareness of environmental pollution
- Stringent regulations
- Increasing Urbanization
- Increased R&D Investment
- Climate Change
- Increasing Adoption in Emerging Markets
BCC Research Team possesses expertise and experience in life and physical science domains. They specialize in offering valuable business insights, including industry analysis, competitor intelligence, strategic and financial analysis, and opportunity assessment. The team has in-depth knowledge of various sectors, including healthcare, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, IT, automation, advanced materials, and energy. They are proficient in qualitative and quantitative market intelligence providing clients with actionable insights. With a vast understanding of the competitive landscape, the team can support clients in making data-driven decisions to help them achieve a competitive edge in their respective markets.
|Base year considered
|Forecast period considered
|Base year market size
|Market size forecast
|CAGR of 6.4% for the forecast period of 2023-2028
|Region, Technology, Type of Waste, End Use
|North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
|Key Market Drivers
The global waste-to-energy market was $25.3 billion in 2013 and $26.7 billion in 2014. This market will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% for the period 2014 - 2019 to reach $35.5 billion by 2019.
- An overview of the global markets for thermal and biological waste-to-energy technologies.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2013 and 2014, and projections of CAGRs through 2019.
- Coverage of non-hazardous solid wastes such as municipal solid wastes (MSW) and biowastes such as kitchen waste, food waste, yard waste, etc. excluding sewage sludge and waste water treatment plants as well as land fill gas plants.
- Regional analysis of the industry in terms of current and future trends of WTE markets and competitive structure.
- A detailed review of current and possible future legislation that can impact the development of the market.
- Analysis of technology trends, identifying how the most prevalent waste management methods are changing lately with the advent of new promising technologies.
- Profiles of major players in the industry.
- The global market for WTE technologies was worth $19.9 billion in 2008. This is expected to increase to $26.2 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 6.7%.
- Thermal WTE technologies have the largest share of the market, worth $18.5 billion in 2008. This should reach $23.7 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 5.1%.
- The biological WTE segment generated $1.4 billion in 2008. This should increase to $2.4 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 11.4%.