Ophthalmic Devices, Diagnostics and Surgical Equipment: Global Markets
The global market for ophthalmic devices, diagnostics, and surgical equipment was valued at nearly $16.9 billion in 2012, up from $16.2 billion in 2011. The market is expected to reach $20.2 billion in 2017, an increase of nearly $3.4 billion during the forecast period and a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7% from 2012 to 2017.
- An overview of the global markets for ophthalmic devices, diagnostics, and surgery
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2011 and 2012, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2017
- Identification of products by product type and, where applicable, by disease type
- Examination of general areas identified with appropriate subsegments, including imaging equipment and nonimaging exam diagnostics, the contact lens market, the surgical market, and intraocular lenses, shunts and other drainage devices
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players in the industry.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This BCC report is designed to be a helpful business tool to provide a thorough evaluation of the ophthalmic device, diagnostic and surgical market. The geographical scope is worldwide, with an emphasis on major markets such as the United States. This report identifies products by product type and, where applicable, by disease type.
Within the global market of ophthalmic devices, diagnostics and surgical equipment, three general areas are identified, with appropriate subsegments discussed. These include:
- Ophthalmic diagnostic market.
- Ophthalmic imaging equipment.
- Nonimaging exam diagnostics.
- Other diagnostic equipment and peripherals.
- Contact lens market.
- Soft lenses.
- Gas permeable lenses.
- Cosmetic lenses.
- Shaping lenses.
- Ophthalmic surgical market.
- Ophthalmic lasers, phacoemulsification systems and related equipment.
- Intraocular lenses.
- Shunts and other drainage devices.
- Other surgical devices and equipment.
Melissa Elder is an experienced healthcare market analyst specializing in medical treatments, equipment and devices. Ms. Elder holds an MBA in Health Care Management and provides consultation to various institutions globally. She has been involved in the healthcare industry since 1996, providing more than 23 years of industry expertise. Ms. Elder has specialized in market research for more than 20 years, focusing on the areas of advanced medical technologies, biological products and animal health. In-depth analysis into more than 100 health-related topics has given Ms. Elder substantial insight into industry dynamics, market influences and future direction of various health markets. Her work in the medical community, including emergency room medical training and healthcare information system coordination, has enhanced her ability to provide insight into many healthcare specialties. She has authored several industry-specific documents and is a well-respected contributor to the market research community. Her writings are published in magazines, newspapers and professional journals. She is also an experienced custom market research writer who has worked with a large variety of clients in many fields who require innumerable variations to research documents.
- The global market for ophthalmic devices, diagnostics, and surgical equipment was valued at $15.2 billion in 2009, up from $13.5 billion in 2007. The market is estimated to reach $19 billion in 2014, an increase of nearly $4 billion over the forecast period and a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.6% from 2009 to 2014.
- Contact lenses, including both functional and cosmetic lenses, account for 43% of the worldwide market. This segment was worth $6.6 billion in 2009 and is expected to increase to $7.7 billion in 2014, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.3%.
- Surgical equipment generated a market worth $5.5 billion in 2009, accounting for 36% of the total market. By 2014, this sector will be valued at an estimated $7.3 billion, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9%.