Pharmacy Automation: Technologies and Global Markets
The global inpatient and outpatient pharmacy automation market was valued at $2.4 billion in 2011 and should reach $2.6 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $3.9 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8%.
SCOPE AND FORMAT
This BCC report is designed to be a helpful business tool that will provide a thorough evaluation of the global pharmacy automation market. The geographical scope is global with special emphasis on the United States/Canada and developed Europe, with supplemental data covering other geographical markets and trends. The report identifies pharmacy automation markets by inpatient and outpatient pharmacy settings, and by product type. Within the global pharmacy automation market, there are two general pharmacy settings, each having other subsettings:
- Inpatient pharmacy automation.
- Acute-care settings.
- Long-term care settings.
- Outpatient pharmacy automation.
- Outpatient/fast-track clinical settings.
- Hospital retail settings.
- Pharmacy benefit management services and other mail-order settings.
- Retail pharmacy chains.
Each segment is further extrapolated to provide detailed information of current and emerging products, current market estimates and market forecasts, and competitive analyses.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Melissa Elder is an experienced healthcare market analyst specializing in prescription and over-the-counter pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and emerging healthcare technologies. Ms. Elder has nearly 20 years of experience in the healthcare industry, specializing in market research for the past 14 years. This experience has given her substantial insight into pharmaceutical market analysis. Her work in the medical community, including emergency room medical training and healthcare information system coordination, has enhanced her ability to provide insight into many healthcare markets.
The total worldwide market for pharmacy automation will be worth $2.2 billion by the end of 2010. The market is displaying a recovery from purchasing holds for equipment experienced by many health facilities, and is expected to grow at a 4.6% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to reach $2.7 billion in 2015.
Inpatient pharmacy automation revenues account for the larger share of the market, with sales expected to reach $1.7 billion by the end of 2010 and increase by a 5.2% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to reach $2.2 billion by 2015.
Outpatient pharmacy automation revenues are estimated at $456 million for 2010. By 2015, the outpatient pharmacy automation market is expected to reach $510 million in revenues after increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.3%.
- The global market for pharmacy automation increased from $2.1 billion in 2006 to $2.3 billion in 2007. It should reach $3.6 billion by 2012, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.4%.
- By 2012, the inpatient pharmacy automation market is expected to be worth nearly $2.9 billion, a CAGR of 9.8%.
- The outpatient pharmacy automation segment will continue to experience moderate growth through 2012, with a CAGR of 7.8% over the next 5 years.