2018 Pharmaceuticals Research Review
- The global checkpoint inhibitors market should reach $29.3 billion by 2023 from $14.9 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.4% for the period 2018 to 2023.
- The global lysosomal storage diseases market should reach $7.6 billion by 2023 from $5.1 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.3% for the period 2018 to 2023.
- The global high-throughput screening market should reach $21 billion by 2023 from $14.4 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.9% for the period 2018 to 2023.
The pharmaceutical sector is undergoing expansions driven by the unmet need in several disease areas. Launch of novel therapies, that included cell and gene therapy with an increase in access to medicines is also driving the growth of the pharmaceutical market. The approval of second CAR T-cell therapy tisagenlecleucel (Kymriah) in 2018 signifies the dramatic progress in the field. Pharmaceutical sector witnessed uncertainties due to the US presidential elections, and weak economic growth in 2017 which have now settled down leading to steady growth in the sector.
Pharmaceutical industry is continuing the pursuit of drug discovery, and development for meeting the worldwide unmet need in the area of oncology, and orphan diseases with an unprecedented rigor. Pharma sector ratifies this trend with a rich cancer pipeline, availability of clinical and real-world data and an increase in associated investments. Pharma industry would surge owing to mergers and acquisitions that bolster company’s portfolio, drive innovation, and unlocks synergies. The merger announcement of Bristol-Myers Squibb and Celgene would create a new biopharmaceutical leader with deep and broad pipeline to deliver high-value innovation medicines.
This Pharmaceutical Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since the inception of BCC Research in 1971. It includes the highlights of reports published in 2018 and early 2019 on the following markets:
- PHM184A Cognition and Memory Enhancement Drugs: Technologies and Global Markets.
- PHM153B Circulating Tumor Cell (CTC) Diagnostics: Technologies and Global Markets.
- PHM172A Global Viral Vector Manufacturing Markets and Technologies Through 2022.
- PHM185A Checkpoint Inhibitors: Global Markets.
- PHM183A Lysosomal Disease Treatments: Technologies and Global Markets.
- PHM205A High-Throughput Screening: Technologies and Global Markets.
- PHM188A Neuroprotective Agents: Therapeutic Applications and Global Markets.
We hope you find this Research Review valuable, and we look forward to serving our customers’ pharmaceutical market research needs.
BCC Research Staff
BCC Research Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
- The global market for cancer vaccines totaled $4.5 billion in 2013 and reached nearly $4.0 billion in 2014. This market is expected to reach $4.3 billion by 2019, registering a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.3% for the period 2014-2019.
- The global market for “silent” cancers was valued at $8.5 billion in 2013 and $9 billion in 2014. This market is expected to reach almost $13.6 billion by 2019, with a CAGR of 8.5% from 2014 to 2019.
- The global market for incretin-based therapeutics was valued at nearly $11.8 billion in 2013 and $12.7 billion in 2014. This market is expected to reach $22.8 billion by 2019, with a CAGR of 12.4% from 2014 to 2019.
- The global anticoagulant drug market was valued at nearly $5.8 billion in 2011 and should reach nearly $5.7 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $5.4 billion in 2017 after decreasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -1.1%.
- The market for global drug device combination products was valued at $18.5 billion in 2011 and should reach $19 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $30.5 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.9%.
- The global market for treatment and diagnosis of sexually transmitted diseases was valued at $28.2 billion in 2011 and $33.2 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $52 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate of 9.3%.
This review of pharmaceutical market research provides:
- Analysis and the future direction of treatments for neurodegenerative (i.e., progressive ataxia and weakness) disorders as the market efforts toward drug and therapy development evolve.
- Coverage of approved human antifungal therapeutics with a heavy focus on therapeutics in early development.
- Profiles of manufacturers of leading asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) prescription drugs.
- Comprehensive analysis of the market for genitourinary drugs on a global basis.
- Current and future characteristics of the global markets for treatments for syndromes of dementia and movement disorders.
- The global market for marine-derived drugs by type was around $4.8 billion in 2011, which is expected to be around $5.3 billion in 2012. This global market is forecasted to reach $8.6 billion by 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% for the five year period of 2011 to 2016.
- The overall emerging markets for therapeutic drugs totaled $131.4 billion in 2009. These regions include Latin America, China, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, South Korea, India, Russia, and South Africa. These regions are estimated at $145.8 billion in 2010 and expected to continue aggressive growth through 2015, reaching a figure of $214.2 billion, yielding a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8% from 2010 to 2015.
- The global market for blood-brain barrier (BBB) technology for therapeutics amounted to $12.3 million in 2010 and will reach $387 million by 2015, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 99.3%.
The global ophthalmic market grew to $15.5 billion in 2009, showing resistance to the global recession. The sector will continue to grow through 2014 to $20.6 billion, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9%.
Total sales of drug-device combination products worldwide were valued at $12 billion in 2008. The overall market is increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.5% per year and thus sales are projected to reach $27 billion by 2014. Overall, sales in the U.S. represent about a third of total industry revenues.
The global cardiovascular market was valued at $140.7 billion in 2009, and is expected to continue to grow in 2010 to $144.5 billion by a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.7%. The sector will experience a sizable reduction in the early portion of the forecast period, and then slowly rise to a net small reduction by 2015 on a CAGR basis of -0.7%, to a figure of $139.8 billion.