The Life Sciences Collection spans markets that are central to the life and wellbeing of the more than 7.5 billion people on our planet. From emerging diagnostics, to brand new therapies and treatment technologies, our expert analysts know where your focus – and investment – should be when it comes to biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and healthcare. As your senior editor, I look forward to introducing you to new opportunities.
These reports emphasize markets where technologies intersect with the building blocks of human life, including DNA, RNA, cancer, genomics, genetics, molecular diagnostics and more.
Globally, healthcare constitutes a multi trillion-dollar industry. Reports in this category span the range of treatments, administration practices and technologies available around the world.
670 Reports in Life Sciences
Biohacking, simply put, is do-it-yourself (DIY) biology; it gives everyone — individuals, communities, small group organizations, not just research institutions — the ability to deconstruct and reconstruct biology using simple kits or supplements for the purpose of not only achieving their immediate outcomes, but also contributing to solving larger issues. As an emerging industry and social movement, biohacking represents a new frontier in the development of drugs and therapeutics, and consequently, is a market expected to see exceptionally high growth over the next five years. This BCC Research special report offers an overview of biohacking, and how this growing industry can spur the interest of prospective investors, large corporations and everyday hackers who could be inspired uncover the next big medical breakthrough.
The global market for prefilled syringes should grow from $4.7 billion in 2018 to $7.3 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.3% for the period of 2018-2023.
2018 Pharmaceuticals Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making.
The global market for genome editing should grow from $1.4 billion in 2018 to $4.4 billion by 2023, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25.7% for the period of 2018-2023.
Healthcare Research Review is a collection of highlights from several healthcare market research reports that were published in 2018.
The global synthetic (cultured) meat market should reach $19.8 million by 2027 from $16.3 million in 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.0% for the period 2022-2027.
The global market for metabolomics should grow from $9.8 billion in 2018 to reach $17.1 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for laboratory automation systems and processes should grow from $21.1 billion in 2018 to reach $29.2 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for membrane bioreactors (MBRs) should grow from $1.9 billion in 2018 to reach $3.8 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.7% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for transcatheter treatment devices should grow from $4.0 billion in 2018 to $8.0 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for protein expression should grow from $1.8 billion in 2017 to $3.1 billion by 2022 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.3% from 2017 through 2022.
The global market for flow cytometry should grow from $4.6 billion in 2018 to $7.3 billion in 2023, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.7% from 2018 through 2023.
The global market for antihypertensive drugs should grow from nearly $26.3 billion in 2018 to $27.8 billion by 2023 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.1% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global hospital supply market should reach $45 billion by 2023 from $37.5 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7% for the period 2018-2023.
The global market for in vitro toxicity testing should grow from $7.4 billion in 2018 to reach $10.4 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.1% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global high-throughput screening (HTS) market should reach $21.1 billion by 2023 from $14.4 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.9% for the period 2018-2023.
The global market for 3D medical and surgical imaging platforms should increase from $4.5 billion in 2018 to nearly $10.4 billion in 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.1% for 2018-2023.
The global bioplastics market should reach 2.7 million metric tons by 2023 from 1.6 million metric tons in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.7% for the period 2018-2023.
The global market for blood cancer therapeutics should grow from $38.5 billion in 2018 to $64.8 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.0% from 2018 to 2023.
The global market for brain tumor therapeutics should grow from $1.1 billion in 2018 to reach $2.0 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.9% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global cancer therapeutics market should grow from $128.1 billion in 2018 to $182.0 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for IV therapy and vein access will grow from nearly $40.7 billion in 2018 to $54.5 billion by 2023 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.0% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global blood plasma products market should reach $35.5 billion by 2023 from $25.7 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% for the period 2018-2023.
The global market for cancer cell analysis should reach $10.8 billion by 2023 from $7.4 billion in 2018 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
The global market for cell separation and characterization in solid tumors should grow from $1.8 billion in 2018 to reach $3.3 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.5% for the period of 2018-2023.
44 Upcoming Reports in Life Sciences
Emerging Jobs in Life Sciences and what you should be training for NOW
- An overview of the emerging and growing trends in life science/biotech industry as potential career track
- Why understanding CRISPR technology can be important skill in career development
- Information on genomics data management and its role in creating jobs for genomics and genetics specialized students
- Coverage of artificial intelligence and drug discovery job market
- Insights of nanotechnology applications and evaluation of their role in biomedical engineering jobs
- List of potential career pathways for biotech/pharma professionals
In retrospect, citizen science enlists the public in collecting large quantities of data across an array of habitats and locations. Citizen science projects have been remarkably successful in advancing scientific knowledge, and contributions from citizen scientists now provide a vast quantity of data about species occurrence and distribution around the world. Most citizen science projects also strive to help participants learn about the organisms they are observing and to experience the process by which scientific investigations are conducted.
In Europe, citizen science awareness-raising programme is on a rise, which focuses on biological innovations, specifically in the realm of health and medicine, and showcases developments from Portugal, the Netherlands, Sweden and the UK. Until recently, pioneers of democratized health innovation had remained at the margins of biomedical research and regulatory establishment. Yet recently, thousands of bio-citizens are using newly available biotechnologies and resources to better understand and improve their health — from analyzing their own genetics and mastering genome editing on simple bacterial and viral cells to prototyping surgical devices. Three intersecting factors—access to technologies, mentorship and funding—are fueling democratized health innovation.
The European Citizen Science Association (ECSA) suggests that citizen science processes as well as outcomes should be properly evaluated, as PatientsLikeMe have done, so that we learn what works. The League of European Research Universities has published a statement on citizen science, furnishing that it can improve that quality and quantity of science, but that it takes time, effort and money.
Wearable Medical Devices: Technologies and Global Markets
- An overview of the global markets for wearable medical devices
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017 and 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023
- Coverage of how these devices monitor blood sugar, glucose, and chronic diseases like heart diseases, diabetes, and various other parameters and provide local processing, feedbacks and reports, communication capabilities, and easy & timely sensing abilities
- Evaluation of factors, such as the large number of ongoing projects and innovations in the healthcare and electronics sectors, the rising incidences of chronic diseases among all demographics, the growing capabilities, and the ease of use of medical devices
- A look at how the market faces certain drawbacks, such as high costs of devices, issues in reimbursement, and lack of awareness in the developing countries, such as India, Brazil, and Mexico
- Profiles of major players in the industry
Liquid Biopsy Research Tools, Services and Diagnostics: Global Markets
- Industry analysis of the liquid biopsy biomarkers and technologies market
- Analyses of global market trends with data from 2017 and 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023
- Characterization and quantification of market potential for liquid biopsy diagnostics by application, biomarker type, analysis platform, analysis purpose and geographical region
- Discussion of several significant large-scale research initiatives that are contributing to liquid biopsy market development
- Examination of various conventional biopsy methods and highlight how liquid biopsy enabling technologies addresses the issues and are gaining significant traction with key opinion leaders
- Coverage of significant patents and their allotments in each category, as well as major industry acquisitions and strategic alliances data from January 2017 through November 2018
- Company profiles of major manufacturers and suppliers of liquid biopsy research tools, services and diagnostics
Global Research and Development Investments in Over-the-Counter (OTC) Drugs and Nutraceuticals
- An overview of the global research and development investments in over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and nutraceuticals.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2016, 2017, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2022.
- Discussion of the strategies and plans behind research-and-development activities.
- Estimation of investments in R&D activities in OTC drugs by therapeutic classification, routes of OTC drug administration, companies, institutions, and regions.
- Macro- and micro-level scenarios, insights, and analyses of global R&D initiatives around OTC drugs.
- Company profiles of key players in the industry based on their market shares, product offerings, and regions.
Pharmaceutical Pricing and Reimbursement: Global Markets
- An overview of the global markets for pharmaceuticals, specifically healthcare legislation and regulation, pricing mechanisms, and reimbursement procedures.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2016, estimates for 2017, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2022.
- Information on the current price and reimbursement landscape, benchmarking statics, and future development opportunities in the pharma industry.
- Case studies of different price and reimbursement strategies for prescription drugs, generics, biosimilars, hospitals, and over-the-counter products.
- Coverage of market dynamics, specifically growth drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players in the industry.
Global Markets for Generic Drugs
- An overview of the global markets for generic drugs, including coverage of therapeutics such as antibacterials, antidepressants, anticancer agents, anti-arthritics, cardiovascular drugs (e.g., hypolipidaemics and antihypertensives), and drugs for respiratory conditions, including asthma and COPD.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017, estimates for 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023.
- Examination of strategies employed by companies specializing in generics to meet the challenges of this highly competitive market, while also summarizing strategies employed by “originator” companies to forestall generic competition.
- Discussion of important trends by product categories and major country markets, acknowledging that Brazil, China, India, Mexico, and Russia are among the rising markets for generic activity.
- Profiles of major players and leading generics companies.
- A look at recent merger-and-acquisition activity.
Drug Testing: Technologies and Global Markets
- An industry analysis of the global market for drug testing technologies within the pharmaceutical industry
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017, estimates for 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023
- Statistical information pertaining to drug abuse along with its trends as well as drug classes in key geographic regions
- Information on leading players in the market and their key products
- Sales projections through 2023 for drug of abuse testing markets by sample matrix and geographic regions
- Technological assessment of the current and possible future legislation affecting the market in the U.S. and other emerging economies, and examines the influence of these acts in the development of the industry
- Company profiles of major global players operating within the drug development market
Biodegradable Stents: Global Markets
- An overview of the global markets for biodegradable stents
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2018, estimates for 2019, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2022
- Coverage of milestones in the history of biodegradable stents and their current status
- Detailed analysis of polymer based and metal based biodegradable stents
- Discussion of the issues related to research & development (R&D), including global regulatory scenarios and other commercialization hurdles
- Comprehensive analyses of major players of the industry, including Elixir Medical Corporation, Kyoto Medical Planning Co., Ltd., Tepha, Inc, Xenogenics Corporation and Boston Scientific Corporation
Traditional and Emerging Spectroscopy Techniques in Life Sciences
- An overview of the spectroscopy in biosciences their instruments and global market
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2017, 2018, and projections of CAGRs through 2023
- Detailed description of ultraviolet and visible absorption spectroscopy (UV-VIS), infrared absorption spectroscopy (IRS), raman spectroscopy, mass spectrometry (MS) and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR)
- Discussion about background, key trends and market opportunity analysis
- Profiles of the major players in the market
Medical Membrane Devices: Markets and Technologies
- Detailed overview and an in-depth analysis of the medical membrane device industry structure
- Analyses of global market trends with data from 2017, estimates for 2018, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2023
- Information on the present and future strategies within the different medical membrane devices market including hemodialyzers, membrane oxygenators, intravenous infusion (IV) filters, blood microfilters, apheresis systems and membrane diagnostic devices
- Segmentation of the global medical membrane device technologies market by technology type, end use, application industry and geographical region
- Technological assessment of the use of medical membrane devices for cardiopulmonary treatments, renal diseases, parenteral administration and home-care diagnosis
- Discussion of the impact of device applications and trends, pricing considerations, research and development activities and environmental influences, along with the performance of the market in terms of setbacks and the needs
- A frame for membrane components of each sector in context with the market dynamics of the overall technology.
- Coverage of the latest significant patents by type of device, by company and other categorizations
- Profiles of major companies in the field along with a competitive technology analysis
Blood Screening and Typing: Global Markets
- An overview of recent key developments in the global blood screening and typing market and a look ahead at the next five years
- Analyses of global market trends with data from 2018, estimates for 2019, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2024
- Quantitative data covering the overall market by analyzers, kits, reagents and consumables, immunoassay techniques, technology types, microbiology techniques, blood types and consumer groups
- Regional dynamics of the blood screening market covering North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and Rest of the world including countries of South America, Middle East and Africa
- Study of impact analysis and discussion of technological, regulatory, and economic trends that are affecting the global blood screening market
- Company profiles of the leading market players
Laboratory animal models, 3D cultures and organoids
- Country specific data and analysis for USA, Canada, Brazil, Chile, UK, Germany , France, China, India, Japan, Australia, Israel, Turkey and South Africa
- Detailed description about animal models, 3D cultures and organoids and their potential applications
- Discussion about the main industry drivers and opportunities with detailed focus on the current and future trends in science and technology
- Company profiles of major players in the market
Radiotherapy, Radiopharmaceuticals and Nuclear Medicine: Global Markets
- An overview of the global market for radiotherapy, radiopharmaceuticals and nuclear medicines
- A look into definition, types, causes and protective factors and risk factors of cancer
- Complete understanding of mechanism of action, risk management and quality assurance of radiation therapy
- Insights of external beam radiation therapy, internal radiation therapy and systemic radiotherapy
- Dossier of new products launches and product enhancement in the industry
- Comprehensive company profiles of major players
Cancer Profiling and Pathways: Technologies and Global Markets
- An overview of the global market for cancer profiling and pathways
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2016 and 2017, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2022
- Discussion of products in this market, newly emerging tools, diagnostics and therapeutics, and their impacts on the market
- Examination of evolving methods, such as microarray analysis, multiplex PCR, and quantitative real-time PCR, which are integral to deciphering molecular mechanisms involved in gene function, biological development, and disease progression, and are important tools in the discovery and development of new drug targets and diagnostic biomarkers
- Identifications of important cancer profiling techniques, market shares by types of products on the market, and market shares by company, as well as types of cancers and biomarkers
- Coverage of epigenetic, methylation, and miRNA products in development, products in clinical trials and currently marketed, and clinical-stage development products
- Company profiles of key players in the market
Cell Line and Membrane Market
- Identification of applications of cell lines in drug development, diagnostics, and molecular biology
- Description of advancements in cell lines for cancer-based therapies
- Details of CAR-T Cell and immune check point inhibitor therapy
- Comparative study of autologous vs allogenic cells manufacturing process
- Explanation of increasing adoption of cell line technologies in cell-based assay and surging demand of antibody production as a driving force to the cell line market
- Detailed profiles of the major vendors in the global cell line and membrane market
Validation, Calibration and Standardization in Life Sciences Market
- Country specific data and analysis for US, Canada, Germany, France, UK, Spain, China, India, Japan, and Australia
- Explanation of validation and calibration of instruments such as heap filters, pH meters, incubators, autoclaves, HPLC units, and GC units
- Discussion of ongoing research in treatments of various diseases and susceptibility of various microbes towards traditional medicines as driving factors to the industry
- Insight into the regulatory compliances in life science industry
- Detailed profile of major companies of the industry
PCR for POC Diagnostics
BCC Research analyst Todd Graham delves into the markets being served by the new technology for polymerase chain reaction for point-of-care diagnostics, sharing the uses, outlook, and more on these clinical diagnostic kits. Recorded live on May 16, 2018.
How to Dissect a Market Opportunity
BCC Research Senior Editor Gordon Nameni shares how to interpret market research to uncover market opportunities at a live event on September 12, 2017, in Boston, MA.