2018 Healthcare Research Review
- The global market for 3D medical and surgical imaging platforms should increase from $4.5 billion in 2018 to nearly $10.4 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 18.1% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for transcatheter treatment devices should grow from $4.0 billion in 2018 to $8.0 billion by 2023 at a CAGR of 14.8% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for medical imaging instruments should grow from $32.6 billion in 2017 to $42.1 billion by 2022 at a CAGR of 5.3% for the period of 2017-2022.
The global healthcare system is in a constant state of disruptive transformation, facing megatrends like demographic shifts, pandemics, workforce remodeling, rapid digitization and a patient-centric focus. Emerging trends in the healthcare sector are all set to leverage the benefits of cutting-edge technology like artificial intelligence (AI), three-dimensional (3D) imaging, and healthcare IT to enhance care delivery, and reduce healthcare costs, especially, considering the imminent transition to a value-based reimbursement model.
From newer evidence-based technologies to advanced analytics, the healthcare industry is experiencing one of the most rapid changes in history, with no signs of slowing down.
This BCC Research Review is a collection of highlights from several healthcare market research reports that were published in 2018. This review was compiled with an intent of providing a sampling of the type of market information, guidance and analysis, that have been guiding business decisions, since the inception of BCC Research in 1971. This Healthcare Research Review includes highlights and excerpts from the following reports, published by BCC Research in 2018 and early 2019:
- HLC216A Global 3D Medical and Surgical Imaging Platform Market.
- HLC204A Transcatheter Treatment: Procedures and Heart Valve Market.
- HLC189A Medical Imaging Instrumentation: Global Markets and Technologies Through 2022.
- HLC205A Global Markets and Technologies for Electronic Health Records.
- HLC206A Non-opioid Pain Treatment: Global Markets to 2022.
- HLC207A Single Blood Drop Analysis: Technologies and Global Market.
- HLC208A Cognitive Computing and Artificial Intelligence Systems Market in Healthcare.
BCC Research Staff
The BCC Research staff is comprised of expert analysts skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis. The analysts have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements, with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- The laboratory-developed test market within the U.S. is expected to grow from $9.7 billion in 2014 to nearly $17.7 billion in 2019, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12.7% from 2014 to 2019.
- The radiation therapy market totaled $5.8 billion in 2014 and is expected to reach $8.1 billion in 2019, with a CAGR of 6.7%.
- The global market for minimally invasive medical devices and equipment reached roughly $15.4 billion in 2014 and is expected to reach $21.5 billion in 2019, registering a CAGR of 6.8% for the period 2014-2019.
- The U.S. emerging diagnostic technologies market was valued at $880 million in 2011 and should reach $1.2 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $3.2 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 20.9%.
- The global market for portable medical electronic products was valued at $49.3 billion in 2011 and should reach $51.9 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $77.4 billion in 2017 after increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.3%.
- The global MRCAS market was valued at nearly $2.2 billion in 2011 and should reach nearly $2.4 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach nearly $4 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.6%.
THIS RESEARCH REVIEW PROVIDES
- Overview of the continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) market including critical issues such as technological developments, geographic trends, market dynamics, adoption trends, competitive intelligence and market revenue forecasts.
- Overview of the tissue engineering and regeneration industry, including description of existing products, new and potential markets for novel therapies and treatments.
- Overview of the medical lasers, including description of components of lasers, effects of lasers on human tissue and medical treatments using lasers.
- The worldwide endoscopy market was $23.3 billion in 2010 and is projected to reach nearly $24.8 billion in 2011. This market is further anticipated to increase to $33.7 billion by 2016 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.4%.
- The total market for clinical healthcare information technologies was more than $6.3 billion in 2010. The market is projected to grow to approximately $7.4 billion in 2011 and $17.5 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 18.7% over the next five years.
- The global market for microelectronic medical implants was worth an estimated $15.4 billion in 2010. The market is projected to grow to $16.3 billion in 2011 and $24.8 billion in 2016, a CAGR of 8.8%, between 2011 and 2016.
The global market for medical imaging systems is estimated to be $17 billion in 2009 and is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% from 2009 to 2014. Ultrasound systems comprise 29% of the global medical imaging systems market. X-ray systems are next, with a 24% share. Positron emission tomography has seen growth but it is the smallest segment. The X-ray market is growing well due to the introduction of digital technology.
BCC Research estimates that technological improvements and changes in health care cost control will cause the demand for medical device sensors to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.1% between 2009 and 2014, when it will approach $9 billion. Perhaps more important, much of the growth will be in one class of technology—semiconductor/MEMS sensors—which will experience a 5% CAGR as the three older technologies see minimal growth or even a decrease.
The sleep aids markets reached revenues of $25 billion in 2009. The United States is overwhelmingly the leader in the worldwide market for sleep aids due to lifestyle pressures, more disposable income, and education about sleep disorders. The worldwide economic climate adversely affected the market in 2008 and 2009. However, industry experts anticipate that the recovery will be slow but steady from 2010 to 2014. Revenues are anticipated to reach $33.2 billion in 2014, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8% over the forecast period of 2009 to 2014.
- The home use segment of the U.S. medical diagnostic kits market is expected to increase from $6.2 billion in 2008 to $10.3 billion in 2013, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.2%.
- The global market for minimally invasive surgery devices and equipment is expected to rise from $15.8 billion in 2009 to $23 billion in 2014, for a CAGR of 7.8%.
- The target therapy segment of the global cancer therapy market is projected to grow from $22.9 billion in 2008 to $69.1 billion in 2013, for a CAGR of 24.7%.
- The professional equipment and supplies segment of the U.S. dental market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% from 2008 to 2013, with revenue increasing from $3.2 billion to $4.2 billion.
- The U.S. tissue transplantation market (that is, corneas, bone grafts, blood and bone marrow, heart valves, and skin and skin replacement products) totaled more than $9.2 billion in 2007 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% to $14.3 billion by 2013.
- The vision and reading aids segment amounts to more than two-thirds of the disabled and elderly assistive technologies market in the U.S. It totaled $26.1 billion in 2008.
- The global medical device coatings business will experience a CAGR of 9.9% between 2009 and 2014, when it is forecast to reach $7.5 billion.
- The chronic illnesses segment is projected to account for more than two-thirds of $80 billion global pediatric healthcare market in 2013.