Point of Care Diagnostics
BCC Research estimates the global market for point-of-care (POC) diagnostics to have been almost $15.1 billion in 2012. The market should reach $15.5 billion in 2013 and $19.3 billion in 2018, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.5% over the next five years.
- An overview of the global market for point of care diagnostics.
- Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2012 and 2013, and estimates and projections of CAGRs through 2018.
- Discussion of factors driving the market including staff shortages, older populations, long-term cost savings, and need for faster diagnosis and care.
- A look at how availability of POC testing has revolutionized the continuum of the patient-care process.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This study will describe the market for POC diagnostics at the global level. It focuses on the accelerating growth in this important diagnostic market segment and the key industry players. Specifically, the report:
- Describes the POC industry.
- Estimates the current and future market size.
- Provides breakdowns for U.S. markets.
- Describes product segments and the continuous updating of POC products.
- Analyzes market influences in the industry and predicts the changes that will shape the future POC market.
- Discusses trends within the market and provides a future outlook.
- Reviews business activities of market leaders.
- Lists patents for POC technologies.
Melissa Elder is an experienced healthcare market analyst specializing in medical treatments, equipment and devices. Ms. Elder holds an MBA in Health Care Management and provides consultation to various institutions globally. She has been involved in the healthcare industry since 1996, providing more than 23 years of industry expertise. Ms. Elder has specialized in market research for more than 20 years, focusing on the areas of advanced medical technologies, biological products and animal health. In-depth analysis into more than 100 health-related topics has given Ms. Elder substantial insight into industry dynamics, market influences and future direction of various health markets. Her work in the medical community, including emergency room medical training and healthcare information system coordination, has enhanced her ability to provide insight into many healthcare specialties. She has authored several industry-specific documents and is a well-respected contributor to the market research community. Her writings are published in magazines, newspapers and professional journals. She is also an experienced custom market research writer who has worked with a large variety of clients in many fields who require innumerable variations to research documents.
The global point-of-care (POC) diagnostics market reached $13.4 billion in 2010 and is expected to reach $13.8 billion in 2011. It will further grow to $16.5 billion in 2016 for a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.7% between 2011 and 2016.
- Global POC market was worth nearly $13.4 billion in 2009, it is estimated to increase to $18.7 billion, at 5 year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.0%.
- The largest test blood chemistry and electrolyte market was nearly $2.1 billion in 2009. This is expected to rise to $3.8 billion in 2014, at a CAGR of 12.0%.
- Glucose monitoring test market reached approximately $7.7 million in 2009 and is projected to reach $9.9 billion in 2014, at a CAGR of 5.1%.
POC testing revenue reached an estimated $5.05 billion in 2005 and is expected to grow at a 13.8% AAGR through 2010, yielding sales of nearly $9.65 billion.
A major force driving the growth of this industry is the effort to provide better patient care by improving the time to treatment (TAT) that POC testing offers. Other forces include cost containment, the aging population, the increased incidence of certain diseases, and technological advances.
Glucose testing meters and supplies accounted for 47.9% of POC sales in 2005 and are expected to grow at a 9.4% AAGR through 2010. The worldwide incidence of diabetes is predicted to double in the next 25 years.