2018 Chemicals Research Review
- The global market for specialty chemicals in water treatment should grow from $34.5 billion in 2018 to reach $45.6 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.2% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for oilfield process chemicals should grow from $28.4 billion in 2018 to reach $35.4 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.5% for the period of 2018-2023.
- The global market for green solvents should grow from $4.2 billion in 2018 to $5.9 billion by 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.0% for the period of 2018-2023.
Technology advances in chemicals enables creation of new applications, penetration to new markets, and the achievement of new production economies. Chemical companies are adopting digital technologies in manufacturing processes such as machine learning, internet of things (IoT), augmented reality, virtual reality and others which are helping them to reach a new level of productivity. Chemical companies are also using technologies to transform themselves from pure product to product & service companies. For instance, some companies are using sensors at customers’ location to track their product performance. Data gathered is used to innovate the product further and make it more suitable for their customers’ operations.
This Chemical Research Review provides a sampling of the type of quantitative market information, analysis and guidance that has been aiding business decision making since BCC Research was founded in 1971. It includes highlights of reports published in 2018 on the following chemical markets:
- CHM013J Specialty Water Treatment Chemicals: Technologies and Global Markets.
- CHM087A Green Solvents: Technologies, Emerging Opportunities and Markets.
- CHM029G Biopesticides: Global Markets to 2022.
- CHM039E Oilfield Process Chemicals: Global Markets.
- CHM031D Hydrogen as a Chemical Constituent and as an Energy Source.
- CHM091A Methane Hydrates: Applications and Global Markets Through 2023.
BCC Research Staff
BCC Research Staff comprises expert analysts who are skilled in conducting primary research, secondary research and data analysis and have decades of combined experience covering a wide range of industries, including healthcare, advanced materials and emerging technologies. Collectively, the team represents a diverse set of educational achievements with individual graduate work completed in fields such as microbiology, electrical engineering, business administration and surgery, among others.
- The global market for specialty chemicals for water treatment reached $23.7 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to nearly $25.3 billion in 2014 and $33.6 billion in 2019 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.9% over the five-year period from 2014 to 2019.
- BCC Research projects that the global biopesticide and synthetic pesticide market will grow from $54.8 billion in 2013 to nearly $61.8 billion by 2014, and to $83.7 billion by 2019 at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.3%, from 2014 through 2019.
- The global flavour and fragrance market totaled $23.9 billion in 2013. This market is expected to grow to $25.3 billion in 2014 and $35.5 billion in 2019, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.8%.
- Global consumption of flame retardant chemicals in 2012 totaled 3.9 billion lbs. In 2013 consumption is expected to increase to more than 4 billion lbs and to about 5.2 billion lbs by 2018. This represents a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5% over the five year period.
- The market for industrial gas was valued at $60.3 billion in 2011 and increased to $62.1 billion in 2012. Total market value is expected to reach $76.3 billion in 2017 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.2%.
- The market for paints and coatings was valued at $111.2 billion in 2012 and should reach $116.9 billion in 2013. Total market valued is expected to reach $141 billion in 2018 after increasing at a five-year compound annual growth rate of 3.8%.
- Coverage of regenerated catalysts used in processing of crude oil, chemical and petrochemical synthesis, and flue gas and waste treatment.
- Analysis of the global market for ozone treatment in three major categories: water/wastewater disinfection/ozonation, air/gas purification and treatment, and medicine.
- Size and growth of captive and merchant hydrogen markets, company profiles, patent trends, and industry trends.
- Technological, economic and environmental considerations of the inorganic microporous adsorbent industry.
- The global market for antiseptics and disinfectants in 2009 was $3.4 billion, and with a 12% increase, sales reached about $3.8 billion in 2010. The market is expected to rise at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.1% and reach $7.1 billion by 2016.
- The global paints and coatings market reached an estimated $99.7 billion in 2010. This global market figure is expected to increase with at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.2% for the 5-year period of 2010 to 2015 and reach $116.6 billion by the end of 2015.
- The global oilfield chemicals market is projected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.7% between 2010 and 2015 as drilling activities increase, production rates are stimulated, and new wells are brought online. This market should reach a value of $8.2 billion at the manufacturing level by 2015, from a value of $6.2 billion in 2010.
The global agrochemicals market was $88.5 billion in 2007 and is expected to reach $196.1 billion in 2014, with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.4% from 2009 to 2014. Factors such as global warming, soil erosion by rain, and wind erosion are boosting the need for external nutrients. Hence, fertilizers are found to be the dominating segment in the agrochemicals market. The market for fertilizers was estimated at $48.7 billion in 2007 and is expected to reach $117.8 billion in 2014, for a 5-year CAGR of 11.5% from 2009 to 2014.
The global market for ozone technology is estimated at $557 million in 2010 and is increasing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 8.1% during the 5-year forecast period. This figure is much higher than the 4.2% to 4.3% world economic growth rate predicted by the International Monetary Fund for the next few years. Asia is forecast to lead the way, with a growth rate of nearly 9%.
The global market for energy and environmental catalysts was worth an estimated $15.1 billion in 2009. The market is projected to grow to more than $16.3 billion in 2010 and nearly $22.5 billion in 2015 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% from 2010 to 2015. Refinery catalysts are projected to lose market share from 2009 to 2015 as other energy applications, such as biofuels, consume increasing amounts of catalysts. However, refining will still account for nearly 60% of the energy catalysts market in 2015.